MA: Environmental Responsibility Tax (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Environmental Responsibility Tax (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Environmental Responsibility Tax (Statute)  (Read 2232 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »

I'm hesitant that this would be counterproductive to increasing revenue, as not as much money would be pumped into our regional government.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

I'm hesitant that this would be counterproductive to increasing revenue, as not as much money would be pumped into our regional government.
how so?
It's simple - if people are spending that much more on gas, they won't be spending as much at Mideastern businesses.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

2 things:
1. I'd still like to see an estimate from GM Shua on whether or not this bill would actually end up generating revenue in the grand scheme of things.
2. Regardless of the answer to Question 1, I still remain unlikely to support this bill - this would just provide more of a squeeze to middle-class citizens in our region, something I don't think we can afford to do right now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »

What is the current gasoline tax in America?

To my knowledge, there is no federal gasoline tax in Atlasia, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd perhaps be okay with a slow implementation process.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »

I've been doing some research:

To my knowledge, Atlasia does not have a federal gasoline tax. If we went off what RL, the federal tax would be (rounded) 18 cents for gasoline and 25 cents for diesel. On top of that, states have an added tax they impose. Combined, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan has a gasoline tax at (rounded) 60 cents. Ohio is at 46 cents. Virginia is at 38 cents.

That being said, I thank Inks for bringing this amendment up - the numbers proposed in our current budget are actually WAY lower than what they should be.

That all being accounted for, I would actually like to offer the following amendment for consideration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »

Assemblymembers, both pieces of legislation are an improvement on the status quo, but right now, we're trying hard to get a balanced budget. Even the amendment I proposed, bringing the taxes to 35% and 40%, respectively, is still actually lower than what the regional average is, and is much lower than what other regions in Atlasia has done, specifically the Northeast, who has it at over 70%, I believe.

If the budget passed as it was now, there would be a dramatic decrease in gas prices, but also in revenue for our region. Right now, we're trying to balance a budget - let's try and keep the status quo.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

Is everyone okay with the current percentages, or does anyone feel like we should even go higher? Our rates are still actually lower than many states - this would still be a cut for many regions, which would promote more dependence on oil. Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These rates are still lower than the national average, and even lower than those of most Mideastern states in reality.

Mr. Speaker, please stop the vote and bring forth the following amendment (or accept it as friendly, as I think just about everyone else supports it).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies