1816 Presidential Election: DeWitt Clinton (DR-NY) vs. Rufus King (F-NY)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1816 Presidential Election: DeWitt Clinton (DR-NY) vs. Rufus King (F-NY)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one?
President DeWitt Clinton (DR-NY)/Vice President Albert Gallatin (DR-PA)

Former Vice President Rufus King (F-NY)/Former Senator John Eager Howard (F-MD)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: 1816 Presidential Election: DeWitt Clinton (DR-NY) vs. Rufus King (F-NY)  (Read 2303 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

Three days to decide. President DeWitt Clinton has successfully avoided war with Great Britain, but has been stalled in other matters as he is opposed by a more "nationalist" faction of Democratic Republicans in his own party. Already challenged for re-nomination by James Monroe, Clinton now enters the general election somewhat damaged. Meanwhile, former Vice President Rufus King has made the central issues President Clinton's reduction of the military and the lowering of tariffs important towards paying off America's war debts. In order to help hold down the South, rumors, perpetrated by the Clinton campaign and with a note of truth in them, are spread of King's alleged opposition to slavery.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »

King.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »

Three days to decide. President DeWitt Clinton has successfully avoided war with Great Britain, but has been stalled in other matters as he is opposed by a more "nationalist" faction of Democratic Republicans in his own party. Already challenged for re-nomination by James Monroe, Clinton now enters the general election somewhat damaged. Meanwhile, former Vice President Rufus King has made the central issues President Clinton's reduction of the military and the lowering of tariffs important towards paying off America's war debts. In order to help hold down the South, rumors, perpetrated by the Clinton campaign and with a note of truth in them, are spread of King's alleged opposition to slavery.
seems like that would backfire given Clinton's own anti-slavery record in New York.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »

King!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

DeWitt is still legit.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:35 AM »

This is an insanely difficult decision, as I think both candidates would make good Presidents. In the absence of anything to complain about during Clinton's term, I'll vote for his reelection.
OAM

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »

This is an insanely difficult decision, as I think both candidates would make good Presidents. In the absence of anything to complain about during Clinton's term, I'll vote for his reelection.

I'm more torn that I though I would be.  In the end, I voted Federalist last time, and will do so again this time.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »

The DeWitt Clinton you described doesn't sound a great deal like the man. He was very much in favor of things like internal improvements and he opposed slavery (not to the extent of Rufus King), but this scenario makes little sense based on what I've read of the ambitious New Yorker.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Eh, in case the time hasn't run out, we need some tie breakers.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »

Well, if there's still a tie, you could just make the election really close. It's the Electoral College that matters, after all.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »

Well, if there's still a tie, you could just make the election really close. It's the Electoral College that matters, after all.

Eh, that would demonstrate bias on my part. However, if I were to get rid of my vote, I guess Clinton would win, so I guess the incumbent will be scoring a second term. (unless someone wants to rush in at the last second and vote...)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »

The 1816 United States Presidential Election
With the country by-and-large content and Federalists losing power and their electoral base, President Clinton is able to win a second term.

President DeWitt Clinton (DR-NY)/Vice President Albert Gallatin (DR-PA) 123 electoral votes, 53% of the popular vote
Former Vice President Rufus King (F-NY)/Former Senator John Eager Howard (F-MD) 98 electoral votes, 47% of the popular vote
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies