Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54491 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

Happy Valentine's day

The campaign is ending. I would like to thank everyone who have read my words here. (I gave food and words) Running for a national office was interesting because we can talk about different issues. I represent renewal in national politics and I have tried to bring new topics. I hope you enjoyed my campaign.

I can actually say Vote for me many times since I am appearing more than once on ballots.

Thank you kindly. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »

I guess there was not enough love in the air. Or that the love was not shared equally.

As I clean my office, packing my documents and pictures, I listen to Bonnie Raitt's I can't make you love me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW9Cu6GYqxo

I remember the good memories of the different campaigns, people met, assembly work, the campaigns. I want to thank people who encouraged me or supported me.

I was against the capital amendment so you would think that I would be happy it failed again. I thought it would mean the end of the project. The voting period was not even ended that people pushing for this had already started with the shenanigans. It is frustrating that they won't respect the will of the people.

Congratulations to the new representatives. I have never seen so many people interested in running.

Thank you kindly 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2013, 12:20:19 AM »

Its unfortunate the Assembly will no longer have you around. I'd go so far as to say its unfortunate the Senate won't have you as a new addition. I've disagreed with some of your proposals (and vice-versa) but you have always been respectful and given intelligent arguments to defend your position. That earns my respect! I hope you remain an active citizen and don't hesitate when you get the urge to re-enter the political fray in this period of surging activity.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »

You know Poirot, there is still a chance for you to return to the Assembly this session. Wink
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:30 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear you weren't reelected to the assembly Poirot, I thought you were.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »

I vote nay on the ratification decentralization amendment. I had questions on how this will be applied, how much freedom regions will have in the method of ratification they choose and since I am left with the same questions unanswered, I vote nay.

I have a question on the ratification decentralization amendment. At first I read it as a regional legislature had to choose one method.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I took it as choosing one option and sticking to it for every amendment. It could also be the legislature chooses one option every time an amendment comes up depending on the topic. (the first time they choose legilsature vote, second time public vote, third time public vote, fourth legislature vote). That could slow the processus of ratification if the legislature makes a choice every time there is an amendment or if the legislature is inactive.

Is it correct the regional legislatures can choose the method of ratification case by case or can make a formal choice of method if they wish.

I was also wondering if the regions have total control on determining the requirements for passage, like simple majority or a super majority, or even rules like a majority of voters registered by the three main parties in the region. 

I would add that it would be prudent in the amendment to include an emergency clause if after  a certain period of time a region doesn't decide on the amendment because of inactivity or whatever that the federal government could open a voting booth for the citizens of that region to vote.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »

People of this great land,

I am running for one of the seats of at-large Senator. This is my first time facing the national electorate. I have served as Northeast representative for three months (November to February). I also had a failed bid at regional senator. If elected in the Senate I will use my eyes to scrutinize legislation and I will be active in debates. I will post my thoughts on legislation so you can get to know me better.

One thing I will like to improve is information to voters about constitutional amendments. After the Senate passes one it is sent to regions. Citizens can notice there is a voting booth open but there is no effort to explain the amendment, there is just the text posted. I would like the senate to accompany the text of the amendment with a summary, explaining the reason behind the change, the parts that are added or deleted from the current constitution. That would give some background information to voters who have to make a decision. If voters have questions I will try to investigate and find answers for them, because when questions are left unanswered, it's more likely people will vote No. Voters are not constitutional experts so information is important.

On the ratification regionalization amendment, I would have liked to see some parameters set for the regions. I would put a deadline for regions to make a decision. A region choosing to decide by legislature could put the amendment in the queue and it could take a lot of time to come up with a decision. I would suggest also an emergency clause for the federal government to have the right to open a regional voting booth in case a legislature becomes inactive or simply ignores the amendment.

Stay tuned for more.
Thank you kindly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »

Very happy to see you back! Cheesy I wish you announced sooner, though.

This! And good luck. Smiley I have always liked what I have seen from you.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

If in the Senate I would vote for the Libertas Doesn't Understand Fusion Voting Act. It is to repeal fusion ballot act. Fusion voting (or a form of it if it was not the real thing) hasn't been used in some time so I have no problem getting rid of it. I'm like Libertas, I don't understand fusion voting. I'm not exactly sure what it is and what it would mean for our ballots but I lean on the negative side.

I am for the Give the Secretary of Federal Elections a Break Amendment. I am for only voting on ballots and no commenting. If we can't make rules on what is acceptable on the write in line because of free speech or determining what is considered campaining, I would have no objection of removing the write-in line for federal ballots. In federal elections there is no problem in the number of candidates running and if someone wants to get elected, he just has to declare.

Another issue to keep ballots clean, transparent and public is not allowing translation of ballots. This is adding unnecessary work to the SoFE and is not public, transparent voting since when you look at a translated ballot often you can't be sure of the order of preference.

The goal is not to nullified votes. I would be willing to give a warning instead of voided a ballot for first offense. I have the same position for sending a pm if there is a no pm list. People are not always aware of rules or can make a mistake. Perhaps we could let one or two elections go before applying stricter rules so citizens not actively following the latest developments or new citizens can have the time to be aware of voting rules.     
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »

There is a common market deal between Atlasia and Canada coming for debate. I am generally positive on international trade deals. If we are going to have more integration with our northern neighbor, we should take the occasion to have less barriers to free trade. The first thing  I will look for when analyzing this deal is less control by Canadian agricultural marketing boards like for dairy and poultry products. This supply side management needs to be changed and be less protectionnist. Atlasian agricultural businesses will benefit from this. If I am a Senator I will ask if it is included in the agriculture agreement. I want also to make sure our businesses have better access to public procurement in Canada by their lower level governments and state agencies and that there are not too many exceptions.

I'm less enthusiastic about Canadian provinces being matched with Atlasian regions for election purposes than I was once. I thought it was an exciting idea combined with the amendment about drawing four districts for new senators since it gave many possibilities to draw districts that would depart from looking like the regions. Since that amendment failed, it it just matching Canadian territory with regions and because the IDS doesn't have a border with Canada it's a bit strange and I find it less interesting.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »

My campaign song is For your eyes only by Sheena Easton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrptJTswNg

I need to raise funds to pay for a tv ad. In exchange for donations, donors receive a eyes cap.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »

I wish to encourage savings by individuals in creating a federal version of the Northeast No tax accounts. Income received from money put in this type of financial account is not taxed. The creation of this savings plan is a medium term goal. I am not making a short term goal because there is the Napoleon tax cuts bill being debated and I figure there will not be an appetite for another proposal that will lower revenues of the federal coffers.

I propose writing a guideline rule on how to count ballots with a double preference rank or a missing a rank in the order of preference. I'm not sure if there is a rule or if it's been left to the judgement of the election's officer. The rule would be the order of preference is valid and vote counts up until there is a repeat of a rank (giving two third rank for example) or up to a missing preference in the sequence (like voting 1,3,4).
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »

Time for a pep talk to my team to give energy for the final stretch of the campaign. There was a poll published for the senate at-large election. My internal poll as me higher than that poll. The public poll shows I'm behind fifth place (there are five seats up for grabs) by 10%. With the margin of error, maybe we are not that far. The poll was also done before the tv ad so it ccould not measure the its effect. We need to continue working hard until the last day. People will reward us for our hard work. We can do this!

We will be distributing free eyes lapel pins on the street and to the campaign office visitors.

The campaign food for volunteers and office visitors is roasted carrot fries (carrots are good for the eyes).

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »

Damn, you couldn't have made sweet potato fries? Wink
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »

Release of Poirot's "watching eyes" tv ad

Can you read this clearly?

Like Atlasia's Senate work, it is difficult to read and understand for most people. You need the eye of an expert. It's normal you don't follow Senate activities because you have a busy life, but you need someone to represent you and keep an eye on your interests.

I have the dedication for the work in the Senate, the sharp eye for legislation and the vision. I will look closely at issues and make things clear for you.

Between April 19 and 21 vote Poirot in the At-Large Senate election.
Let me be your watching eyes.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »

With the regionalization of constitutional amendment I suggest after the Senatevotes for an amendment, the role of liaison and follow up be given to the Vice President. He would be in charge of alerting the regions an amendment passed the Senate by posting it in the conference or regional executives thread. After this formal announcement he would be in charged of keeping track of regions going through process of adoption if a region forgets to act and needs some proding.

If elected I will be fiscally responsible. I haven't made costly spending promises to buy your votes. I think it's important that the government stays in a good budgetary situation.

I have seen the sample ballot. If you need help voting, I am at the bottom of the list of candidates, so it is easier to mark your first preference starting at the end of the list. Wink

I hope you will trust me to be your watching eyes in the Senate.
Thank you kindly.     

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »

I like your ideas.  Endorsed.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

Thank you for the endorsement! It is much appreciated.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »

Concession speech

The first results are coming in and it is clear I will finish last. Citizens have chosen other candidates to represent them. It was a group of strong candidates. I congratulate the winners  and wish them good luck in the demanding work of Senator.

It was my first national race and it gave me the opportunity to deliver my message to all the nation and meet people from all over the country. I am proud of my campaign. I had the three important element of official song, logo, and food. I also produced a tv ad. There were less visitors than anticipated in my campaign office. As a result I have carrot leftovers. This food will be donated to a local food bank.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who have updated the wiki over the last six months, wether it was part of their job, official volunteer or individual effort. Give them a big round of applause for their work.

Last, thank you to those who took the time to read what I had to say and looked at my campaign. Heartfelt thanks to those who gave me words of encouragement and my supporters.

Thank you kindly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »

Needless to say, you ran an active and clean campaign that you should be proud of. You stood for ideas, many of them good, and if I am elected I would be happy to take that message to the Senate with me. Good luck in your future endeavors my friend. Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

News bulletin

Poirot was appointed to the Northeast assembly.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

Cogratulations Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »

Oh yeah! Congrats!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »

Hello everyone!

I have officially entered the race for the Senate regional seat of the Northeast. The election is in June and the term covers the summer. I know most of you want to go outside and enjoy the sun and it's not a period you are much interested about politics. I am willing to sacrifice the joys of outside sun to work inside in the Senate. I might bring a bit of sun inside, to the Sunate!

My first campaign stop is in Plattsburgh, New York. Tonight I will be at the Airborne Park Speedway to mingle with the local Saturday night race fans.

Before going there I wanted to talk about the Senate bill on same day registration. I understand the two sides. It can be frustrating for a new citizen to have its vote not counted because the citizen was not registered for seven days prior to the start of the election. That person might have to wait two months to participate in another election. On the other hand there is a possibility that many people are driven to the registering office only a few hours before the election to vote and never be seen again. That tactic could be used before any deadline, 1 day or 7 days, but the closer to the election the more it looks like trying to steal the election.

I would propose a compromise of these two views. Cutting it in half: make the waiting period for the right to vote three or four days instead of seven.         
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »

My campaign activities today are about the Atlasia-Canada common market proposal. I will reiterate my positions on this topic discussed in the all-candidate Senate debate.

In my event in Rutland Vermont I spoke of free trade. I believe in free trade. My first ever vote in RL was in an election in which free trade was a big issue. In section IV of the Atlasia common market agreement, it is written that "all existing trade regulations agreed upon in NAFTA are retained unless otherwise stated". I believe we should be more ambitious and get rid of most trade regulations. For exemple the cultural industries exemption that Canada wanted will likely still be in effect.

There has been progress in the agricultural sector. The accord speak of the goal to reduce where at all possible most agricultural subsidies to even the market. Maybe that is good for products receiving monetary subsidies but I find the accord not strong enough to benefit the dairy producers of Vermont. The wording is not clearly indicating if the Canadian government will give up supply management system and open the border for unlimited exports of our dairy products. It's important non-tariffs barriers are removed and the Canadian market is fully open to our dairy industry.

Another aspect of the common market agreement is the freedom of movement. Section V says there will not be passport security checks when citizens cross the border. With that, millions of people will get the right to cross the border freely. Twenty per cent of the canadian population is foreign born. Allowing all Canadian citizens freedom of movement in Atlasia brings security concerns. We are losing control of screening who we let in in our country.

Later in the day in Newark, New Jersey the topic was the effects of the possible enlargement of the St. Lawrence seaway. I have concerns about jobs in the Northeast. If bigger vessels can navigate into the Great Lakes, it could mean less traffic for the ports along the Atlantic coast. If ships bypass the coast to go to the interior this could result in less jobs in the ports and the transportation industry to bring goods to the Atlantic ports. The Northeast has more shore on the Atlantic than on the Great Lakes.

As regional senator my priority will be to defend the region. The project could be good for other regions of Atlasia but not the Northeast. I will ask for an evaluation of the long term impact of enlarging the seaway on the Northeast and wait the result before approving this project.

The other concern with enlarging the seaway is environmental. Building a larger or deeper seaway could have an effect on the fragile ecosystem of the lakes and coastal area; the same with an increase in ship traffic.     
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies