Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:57:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54333 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »

I am in Ogunquit in Maine.

Today I am presenting my sunny campaign banner. You want something new under the sun?  Elect Poirot to the Sunate!

I'm also announcing my campaign song is Walking on sunshine by Katrina and the waves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »

I love the Poirot mysteries.

You have my vote.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:54 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 10:27:57 PM by Poirot »

Thank you Monsieur!

I'm sure there is investigative work to be done in the Senate.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »

Campaign stop in Cambridge Mass. It is important for the government to support research. It helps to move towards a knowledge based economy. It gives good paying jobs. It helps to make discoveries and move science forward.

I think we should invest more in research. To have a return on our investment or get back some of the money we invest, we should sign agreements with projects we fund. We will financially benefit from royalties patents, or licenses obtained from the research funded by getting a share of those revenues.

Since research is partially funded by public money it should be made available to all. After reaserch results are published in a scientific journal, a summary of it (if the paper is too long and complicated) would have to be posted publicly on a designated government website within three months. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

In Manchester New Hampshire I outlined two possibilities for tax relief for individuals.

My first try would be to reintroduce the tax cuts that was passed by the Senate but vetoed by the president. After different proposals the Senate adopted two changes to the current tax structure. The first bracket is modified to start at 15K instead of 9.5K, so it becomes 15K to 35K at 10%. The second bracket keeps the same limits (35K to 80K) but the rate is reduced from 22% to 20%. There is no change for higher incomes. As you can see these changes target lower income and some people not making much money will no longer pay income tax. I believe it is worth try to introduce the same agreement again because the presidential candidates from the two main parties voted for it.

If I see the above could not be put into law, my other possibility is expanding nationally the Northeast No tax account. It was put into place to encourage saving by not taxing what is put into these accounts but there is a low limit on how much you can put into that plan.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=168461.msg3610349#msg3610349   
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »

Endorsed Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »

Great!
Thank you for your endorsement Senator Kalwejt.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »

Here is the gist of my speech given in Newport, Rhode Island on federal amendment process.

The federal amendment process could be improved. There needs to be better coordination between the federal government and the regions. First thing is better communication with governors when an amendment has passed the Senate. I suggest posting the information when governors need to act in the Conference for regional executives thread. And after a few days if there is doubt a governor has seen it, sending a personal message would be good. There also need to be better follow up of the results from the regions to make an announcement when all regions have voted or enough have passed an amendment that it is adopted. For this coordination job I think the Vice president or Secretary of Internal Affairs would be best suited.

The other aspect I think needs improvement is explaining to the voters what specific change from the constitution is contained in the amendment and the reason behind it. That way voters are more apt to make a decision.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »

Thank you for bringing your campaign to my hometown.

It was great having you here.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »

I think the Senate needs new blood. I am not necessarily endorsing yet, I still want to hear more from both you and Scott, but you have some interesting ideas.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »

Tonight I am in Philadelphia PA to give my opinion on the upcoming regional vote on constitution change.

There are two parts on the regional sample ballot for amendment 1 which is the constitution ratification amendment. The first part is about lowering the votes needed for adoption from two thirds of the vote to a majority. The second part is to state that a majority is also needed for federal amendments.

I don't agree with lowering the two third of votes needed to change the regional constitution. I view the constitution has something that should be more stable than ordinary laws. It shouldn't be changed too easily. If a change proposal is great, it will get two thirds of the vote.

I don't mind keeping the simple majority for federal amendments. As the ballot is designed, all these topics are inside amendment 1, so I can't be for one and not the other. Therefore, I will vote No on amendment 1.

There is no big negative implication in voting No because the Supreme Court has ruled that a region not making an explicit decision on federal amendment is deemed to be using the current method of simple majority vote. It turns out regions wanting to continue with the same method don't need to make an official choice. We would still have the same rule for federal amendment regardless of voting yes or no on amendment 1.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »

The Poirot for Sunate has an afternoon activity. All people near Pittsburgh PA can meet me in the parking lot of the stadium before the Pirates baseball game. I'm trying to be allowed to do the ceremonial first pitch. Look for my booth in the parking lot. We will be distributing sunflower seeds.

Sunflower seeds is the official food of my campaign. (you know... because there is sun in the name) Sun can have good and bad effects. Good like helping for vitamin D and bad like skin damage. We can say the sun has two different sides like mini-wheats. Skin damage can lead to skin cancer. For information and prevention of skin cancer, visitors to my booth will be able to see damage done to their skin using a special UV photo device.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

We have seen situtations in the past in which regions needed help from outside of the region to keep functioning. Such situtations could be a legislature being paralysed because a speaker and lieutenant governor disappeared and there was no clear line of succession to proceed or a region completely skipping election because the region was inactive and no one opened a voting booth.

In cases like these intervention from outside the region to open a voting booth for example is useful. The federal government could consult regions and suggest they adopt an emergency clause that allow federal intervention when regional activity is paralysed. I recognize and respect regional powers. This would not be forced onto regions that don't want it.

To respect regional jurisdiction and make sure the federal governement doesn't infringe on regional affairs, there would be perequisite actions to be taken before a federal official could open a regional voting booth. One would be to wait after the regional legal deadline to start voting has passed. Another would be to contact by private message all possible officials from the region that have the right to open the booth (like governor, judge). This step could be done before the opening of the booth if there is serious concern of the booth not opening in time.

I think an arrangement like that helps a region to get out of paralysis while respecting regional autonomy.

These comments were made in Seaford, Delaware.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »

This morning I was at a breakfast meeting with business people in Fairfield, Connecticut. Eggs sunny side up were served.

The government should encourage crowdfunding and equity crowdfunding. It helps small business or projects get access to funds, having access to everyone. Equity crowdfunding cuts the middle man and could lead to cheaper financing for start ups. To help secure the method of financing I propose crowdfunding portals must be government approved. It doesn't guarantee the investment is safe. People must know there is risk involved, but hopefully on serious portals there will be serious offers and a reduced risk of fraud. I hope this will help entrepreneurs efforts.   

I also mentioned how the common market agreement with Canada is a good opportunity for Atlasia to push for a review of foreign ownership rules in some industries. If the two countries are more integrated economically, foreign ownership rules should be abolished or less restrictive between the two countries. Canadian industries protected by foreign ownership limit include telecommunications and broadcasting, banking and insurance. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »

In Utica, New York I spoke on two topics. The importance for everyone to pay their fair share of taxes. I would support the federal administration's efforts to fight tax havens, working with other countries around the world. Also work with other nations to fight business tax avoidance and evasion especially by multinational firms.

I also spoke about defending people not belonging to big parties (independent and small party) if there is electoral reform. Sometimes the big parties think mostly about their interest and those without a major voice get forgotten. I believe all should have easy access to being on the ballot and the system still gets a chance to win for everybody. Well, it's easier to win if you are in a big party but potential changes should not make it more difficult and improbable for other candidates to win than now. That is something important for me.     
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

I have a tv ad running to reach voters not really interested in political campaigns. I try to get them by general feeling. (sense of renewal, confidence, optimism, better days ahead, trust). Let me describe the ad.

It starts by static images, not showing much action, with no bright colours. One image is a cloudy sky. Then an image of the sky appearing in the cloudy sky.

Music starts playing in the ad until the end. It's Here comes the sun by the Beatles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1AesMfIf8

Then there is normal film. You see Poirot walking towards the Senate building. For the rest of the ad it is sunny, the colors are bright and you see more action scenes, with people being happy and active, like children playing on their lawn, a farmer working in a field, a busy city shopping street etc.

There is a shot of a sunflower field to make the link to the official campaign food (sunflower seeds).

Vote Poirot for Sunate! 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2013, 07:34:10 PM by Poirot »

Northeast citizens,

It is election time. I ask you for your vote in the NE Senate race. To vote for something new under the sun. In the last two weeks I have visited every state of the region. I have talked about different issues in my campaign thread. I know some don't like to read a lot of text so here is a more concise version of my campaign:

- Reduce the number of days to obtain the right to vote for new citizens to 3 or 4 days

- Push for more open trade in the common market agreement, for less restrictions in commerce (decrease exceptions to free trade, non tariff trade barriers to agriculture, foreign ownership rules in certain industries)

- Invest in scientific research in exchange for a share of revenues produced by the results

- Reintroduce the senate agreement on tax relief for people making less than 80K that was vetoed

- Support fight against tax avoidance and evasion

- Better coordination and communication for passing federal amendments

- Against making NE constitution change a simple majority vote

- Limited power of intervention by the federal level in regions if there is paralysis or need for opening voting booth

- Encourage crowdfunding

- Look out for interest of small parties and independents in potential electoral reform

I can't promise you the moon but I will promise you the sun.
Vote Poirot for NE Sunate!

Thank you kindly
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2013, 11:04:18 AM by Poirot »

I'm at the hotel watching the election results come in. My advisers and campaign staff are with me.

I've heard three loud cheers coming from the other room where a group of supporters are watching the results. Since they cheer every time I get a vote, that must mean I have received three votes so far.

The country has been a bit unstable lately but people should still get to the voting booth. I understand their fear with the presence of revolutionaries, a loss of confidence in elected officials, problems with the country's communications system. We still don't know who is responsible for the communicationa problems: utilities, anarchist groups trying to stop the election or foreign terrorists. Atlasians are resilient people. They should not fear for their safety and show up at the voting booths. Keep calm and carry on voting.

Vote Poirot to the Sunate.  Someting new under the sun.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

I hear the crowd at the hotel suddenly applaud and cheer. Another vote must have came in. That would mean I am now at 4 votes.

Still 12 hours left to cast your vote for Poirot.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »

I think it's time to concede. At this time my speech will be in prime time and some supporters want to change the tv channel to have a look at Whodunnit?

People did not choose a summer term with sun. (they will get clouds I guess)

I want to congratulate Scott for his return to the Senate. I wish him all the wisdom and intelligence needed to make coming difficult decisions for the future of the country. He is an experienced legislator so he will be able to help the Senate function well.

I want to thank the people who put their trust in me. The people who voted for me in the election, I won't list them because it would be too short, and the party members who voted for me during party's endorsement. 

I also want to congratulate all the candidates in this election cycle who have put their names on ballot and campaigned for the citizens vote, offering voters a choice. The result of the Presidential vote is not known yet but whoever wins will have big responsabilities. They are both strong, hard working candidates.

I tried to have a longer campaign this time. I have traveled all over the region. It was exhausting at times, having to stay up late.

Now the the sun sets over my campaign.
Thank you kindly.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »

It was a good campaign, Poirot.  Thank you for making the race interesting. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:20 PM »

Congratulations Poirot on running a good campaign.

All the best.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »

Thanks for coming here leaving good words about my campaign Nix, Scott, Winfield. You can have sunflower seeds bags  if you wish. I don't eat them. Any leftovers will be donated to little league of baseball.

Now some good news. After all the votes were counted I actually received five votes. That is a full hand. High five to these voters!

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

July 19, 2013

Jamais deux sans trois

I am a candidate in the special election to fill the vacant Northeast Senate seat. I have run for the Northeast Senate seat in February and June 2013 so running in this special election is a continuity of those previous attempts. There is not really time to campaign due to the very short notice before the election. I have ran for this office only last month and I invite people to look at the previous page for an informative flashback.

I thought it was included in the job function but since someone is asking around, I pledge to look at Senate threads every day or if not possible, two days.

Thank you kindly.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »

Well, same result as my previous senate runs. At least I haven't had to spend a lot of resources due to the very short campaign period. Thank you to those who at least thought I could do the job and to my voter. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies