Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54310 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
« edited: October 17, 2023, 04:34:30 PM by Poirot »

People of the Northeast,

My name is Poirot and I am running in the special election as an independent candidate to represent you at the Assembly.

I have recently immigrated to this country and region because this is a land (fantasyland even!) of opportunity. This explains why I have a funny accent and my English is not always perfect and clear. I apologize in advance. I want to give back to the community by holding public office and contribute to the prosperity of the region. My main concern will be to focus on the economic and budgetary impact of legislation.

I am not a household name across the region, so why have I decided to run? Mainly because of two democratic things. First, I saw there was only the appointed representative running in the special election. I believe voters deserve a choice at election time. Only having one candidate on the ballot is not a healthy democracy. By submitting my candidacy I offer voters a choice.

Second, I was surprised to see the appointed representative sponsoring a bill to amend the constitution and modify the bill of rights. This is playing with the fundamental law and doing so while being appointed to the assembly and not yet elected made me uneasy. This action could have waited a little to have more democratic legitimacy.    

My opponent in this race has a lot of support from the region's political establishment but it is YOU the voters that will have the final say. So I humbly ask for you vote.

Thank you kindly.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »

Policies?
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »

I am not a household name across the region, so why have I decided to run? Mainly because of two democratic things. First, I saw there was only the appointed representative running in the special election. I believe voters deserve a choice at election time. Only having one candidate on the ballot is not a healthy democracy. By submitting my candidacy I offer voters a choice.

Second, I was surprised to see the appointed representative sponsoring a bill to amend the constitution and modify the bill of rights. This is playing with the fundamental law and doing so while being appointed to the assembly and not yet elected made me uneasy. This action could have waited a little to have more democratic legitimacy.   

I personally would much rather have a positive speech that outlined your policies and idealogy instead of your only contention being I'm new and I oppose my opponant
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Barnes is a close friend of mine and has done much good for Atlasia.

I get that you're establishing a character (of sorts), but perhaps could you tell us what, if any, policies you intend to sponsor or support? I'm very keen on helping along new talent, so if you're stances are good, I might just advocate for you.

Please let us all know. Good new talent keeps this game alive.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

I'm sorry if I have hurt anybody's feelings with my intro.

Here are some proposals and opinions on some topics I've seen discussed in threads.

Energy: something I propose is looking at hydro-electricity from Canada. They sell their power cheap and we could get a long term supply agreement. But I like if local communities are on board with this (like if we need power lines). Same thing with windmills, it is important for me that local communities accept them.

School curriculum: if it not has been done before, I would propose mandatory three years of a foreign language learning in high school and one year of economic studies (basic concepts, making a budget, smart credit use)

Tourism: spend to team up with tourism businesses for a promotional campaign targeting geographical markets near our borders (people who don't have to spend too much in transportation to visit our beautiful region)

Minimum wage: I jumped when I saw the minimum wage rate. I find this high. I think some of the benefits from the higher hourly rate for workers will be lost to an increase in inflation. I mean prices will go up because of higher employment costs. People who were working at the new minimum wage will have to be paid more (their job paid them more than the minimum before and will need to be paid higher than minimum now). This will lead to a general higher cost of living. It would be unfair to workers to cut the minimum wage so I would freeze it for some time instead of automatically indexing it.

About enlarging the St-Lawrence seaway: I am not sold on this. I have concerns about the environmental impact of this project. Will have to see if a new clause about the environment could come into play here. Also I foresee a high cost for the enlargment and still need to be convinced by a cost-benefit analysis.

Environment clause in the Bill of rights: I need reassurance that it would not open a floodgate of legal recourses against the government or industries .
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »

Now that I've heard some of your policies I might vote for you over Barnes, but I haven't decided yet...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »

As my recent record as Secretary of External Affairs shows, I haven't much time to dedicate to Atlasia. But the name of a famous detective as one's username is high on my priorities list of candidate qualities. For that, you are to some extent endorsed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »

Mr. Poirot, I don't even think you're eligible to vote this election.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »

In defense of our new member, I will say that I understand why there may be concern with an unelected, interim representative proposing such significant changes without the consent of the voters instead of acting more as a placeholder, but within our system of government, we allow anyone to introduce legislation anyway. Anyone in the Northeast can petition the Assembly to debate a bill, so whether Barnes does this officially as a Representative or unofficially as a citizen would make little difference. I also think that debate is healthy, too often in regions do we struggle to come up with a new idea. I say keep 'em coming, from all the candidates in this race. Smiley

Good luck!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »

President Napoleon makes a good point. Free debate, diverse perspectives, and competitive elections are essential to keeping regional politics active and interesting. I've often emphasized these themes, but they're certainly worth mentioning again to any new citizen.

I absolutely agree. I welcome Poirot to this race and hope for a fun and interesting campaign (or what's left of one).

I will say in my defense that interim representatives are given all the powers of a regular rep. and my proposed amendment is an issue I feel very strongly about and if my term in the assembly is only one week, I want to put it forward for the public to see. Just because I was not elected by voters does not mean I do not have a duty to this region and I feel like I would be failing in that duty if I didn't advocate for the causes I believe in. Whether or not the voters agree with me will be made clear in one day. Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:57:27 AM »

Mr. Poirot, I don't even think you're eligible to vote this election.

You should post the relevant statute, in that case, because this assertion is inconsistent with my interpretation of regional law.

I'm not sure about regional law, but federally, you have to be registered for a week before you can vote. Poirot's only been in for a few days, hasn't he?
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »

Well then good luck to him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:38:35 AM »

Oh. OK. Good luck, Poirot!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »

Just to make it clear, I was a registered voter for more than a week when I declared my candidacy.

I will have to talk with an image consultant to figure out if I come across too harsh. As for changing the constitution I had asked if citizens needed to vote on this to be adopted so I knew it was not only the assembly deciding. That is why I chose to use the way it was brought up, by an appointee representative, and use the democracy issue.

I was asked for policies so I'm trying to point out differences on issues discussed or proposed to give people an idea where I stand. I am aware my position on the wage is probably not popular.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

Thank you wolfentoad, Goldwater, cathcon for your words of encouragement. I am collecting partial endorsements and stitching them together to make full ones. Smiley

Thank you Snowbal, Alfred Jones, Napoleon for your good luck wishes.

To everyone who visits my campaign office, Poirot offers Belgian waffles and Belgian fries on the table over there. Serve yourselves.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »

Endorsed. (Though I'm not sure if you want an endorsement from the forum's most right-wing poster)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

As someone who actually does come across too harsh, I have to say I don't see anything for you to worry about, you're doing fine. Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »

Endorsed. (Though I'm not sure if you want an endorsement from the forum's most right-wing poster)

I accept all endorsements. Thanks.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »

I have chosen a campaign song.

Take a chance on me by Abba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mftz4gY7okk

I chose this because I acknowledge a notoriety gap and maybe I'm not the obvious, "safe choice". So sending a message to undecided voters, yes you should take a chance on me. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »

I will be supporting my old friend Barnes in the election, but I think you'll do just fine around here. Keep at it and good luck!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »

Well that's pretty!
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

Wait, are you assigning him that logo, or are you letting him use it at his discretion
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

Woohoo, a campaign logo! That's very kind. I was lacking a logo and sign. I had no designer on my team. I will put it in my signature.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »

You, voters of the Northeast, have to elect a representative. Before you cast your ballot I ask you to think if it's better to send an independent to the assembly or someone from a party representing the majority of representatives. I believe an independent voice would bring more political diversity.

Some could say I lack the political experience. To them I say we always need to start somewhere and remember this is a special election. Another election will come in a short time. The rest of this term is an ideal period to give me a chance. I'm asking you to "take a chance on me".

Thank you kindly for your time. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:27 PM »

I know this might seem a little late, Poirot, but I would like to ask you a question:

What is your opinion on The Medical Research Act that's currently being debated in the assembly?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies