Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5324 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

no
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance?  this happened to me and I cited WV Board v Barnett, then took to reading the Soviet National Anthem during the pledge reading.  With Stalin our leader, classless and free!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »

haha also my grandfather - Korean War vet got a flag from the American Legion yesterday.  my response: "the Supreme Court says you can burn those things!"  he still loves me, against all odds.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »

does Keystone Phil support Tinker v DeMoines?  Clarence Thomas doesn't.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance? 
Yes, reason being, I support free speech and expression. Obviously there are a few restrictions in schools, but you can't be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and you shouldn't be treated like this for wearing clothing within the school's dress code.

of course but once we start talking about disciplining the teacher it becomes a labor & employment issue.

plus let's try to back the right-wingers here into a corner on student free-speech rights, something they've never liked.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

can we get an answer on this?

does Keystone Phil support Tinker v DeMoines?  Clarence Thomas doesn't.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »

it isn't diversion at all, this is a textbook case re: the right of student speech/expression.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »

it isn't diversion at all, this is a textbook case re: the right of student speech/expression.

Even if the school had the right to prevent the expression of certain political opinions, there's a big difference between asking a student to go change their shirt and the bat-sh**t insane bullying this teacher pulled off.

the issue either is student speech or it isn't.  if it is instead about how bad it is for teachers to "bully" students, then the underlying reason for the teacher doing so should be of no consequence.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »

so then the thread is not about the expression but about the teacher-bullying. why is the Romney shirt mentioned in your thread title?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »

Closer to home, just last year an elementary school teacher in LA blindfolded 3rd graders and fed them his semen on crackers, yet he still draws an LAUSD paycheck while out on $23 million bail for dozens of felony child molestation charges.

lol, teacher's unions.

$2.3 million.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

There are extreme idiots on both sides. This isn't news.

there are more than two sides my man!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice. Said that every school day since August of 2002. Except when I have a doctor's appointment or some s**t and come in late.

I sat for it.  And, referring to a Supreme Court Case, got my stuffy, right wing principal to send a note to all homeroom teachers that it is unconstitutional for them to force kids to stand.

My only allegiance is to peace and justice.

to play devil's advocate here, what makes forced participation in the pledge different from something like taxation or anything else people justify as part of the 'social contract'? at least with the pledge you're not actually doing anything substantive. i didn't actually help kill any iraqis when i saluted the flag in high school. or subsidize goldman sachs or halliburton.

it's not a very important matter in-itself, but in the US we have these trump cards which proscribe certain conduct by the state, good, bad, or meaningless.  and recitation of the Pledge quite clearly falls within the purview of one of the trump cards.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies