Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5306 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/education&id=172580131

The teacher publicly berated her and asked other teachers and students to bully her. She also stated that the student was at a "Democratic school" and that wearing a Romney shirt would be like a black teacher wearing a KKK shirt. The teacher went on to say that she was "just joking"...then stormed out of the school.

If this doesn't make you sick...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

This is why school uniforms are a good idea.
You didn't actually click the link, did you? This bizarre incident was caused by school uniforms.

It would happen with far more frequency during the political season if uniforms weren't mandatory. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

This is why school uniforms are a good idea.
You didn't actually click the link, did you? This bizarre incident was caused by school uniforms.

It would happen with far more frequency during the political season if uniforms weren't mandatory. Tongue
I doubt that very much. There are established standards on what is okay and what isn't where people wear their everyday clothes to school.

*and in regards to what's worn, most things are. And in regards to how teachers can comment on what's worn, freaking out like this is certainly not.

I'm not suggesting that wearing political gear would become standard but there's definitely a greater chance of someone sporting campaign attire when "regular" clothes can be worn every day as opposed to the occasional dress down day.

Also, I'm not suggesting that blow ups like this would occur as frequently but minor issues (things that don't make national news. Maybe just a minor classroom disturbance) would happen more often. Unless they stated from the start that political attire is not permitted...which is just another step towards uniforms, right? Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »

I know this is a story because it was a Romney shirt but please, for a moment, take politics out of this. We have a teacher here that asked students and fellow teachers to mock a student after already mocking the girl in class and intimidating her ("This is a Democratic school" Note the irony). Then, after being reprimanded, she blamed the girl by telling the class, "I'm not allowed to joke with you anymore." She then left the building.

This is someone who was trusted with teaching and supervising children. Everyone should be enraged by this behavior.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

It gets worse - Pawlucy's parents went to the school today for a meeting. They were met with obscenities being shouted by the students from school windows - http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=172845481
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »

Wonder if she scratched a backwards B on the child's cheek also.

Really mature. A girl was bullied by a teacher. Her teacher told other students and teachers to bully her. But let's dismiss it as a hoax because you don't want to admit classlessness on your side.

Some of the responses here are predictable. They're a part of an act or general trolling. For anyone that doesn't fit in those two groups, let's imagine if a black student was told by a white teacher in...oh...Mississippi that the student was in a "Republican school" and that her Obama shirt. Imagine the national attention. Imagine the hysteria here.

Thank you to the classy people here that called out this teacher for being a disgrace. This shouldn't be about one's political stance; it should be about defending a student against bullying and general ignorance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »

Yes, absolutely you can get an answer: I'm not going to state my opinion as part of your diversion tactic.

Hope that helped.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »

This isn't a matter of blocking freedom of expression; it's an issue regarding how the expression was dealt with by a superior. It was completely inappropriate. We're talking about a teacher bullying a student and wanting other students and teachers to join in. Inexcusable.

This is in the news and is an especially hot topic because it is a political shirt in question but this problem runs deeper than that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

so then the thread is not about the expression but about the teacher-bullying. why is the Romney shirt mentioned in your thread title?

Because it stemmed from a confrontation over a Romney shirt, Tweed. That's part of the story whether we like it or not.

You're really exhausting when you're difficult.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

Have any kids confirmed this kid's story yet? I wouldn't expect the teacher to be unbiased, but did anyone who isn't named Pawlucy witness the teacher "going into the hallway to get other teachers to bully her"?

Maybe we'll get a few of the kids that shouted obscenities at her parents to say this is just a vast right wing conspiracy conjured up by a high school girl and her parents.

Let's remember: the teacher was reprimanded for her behavior, threw a hissy fit (again) directed at the girl and stormed out of the school. Whoever the member of the administration was that reprimanded the teacher had to have done so after the story was verified especially since this is a "Democratic school."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »

And a reprimanding by the administration isn't enough verification? The teacher not denying the comments isn't verification?

I don't "want" to take this at face value; I'm just recognizing that this obviously happened. If it didn't, where are the students saying it's a hoax (when they aren't shouting obscenities out of school windows)? Or maybe there is just a cover up by the right wing Republican hack Philadelphia press.

"Maybe this happened, maybe it didn't" is sadly just a stalling tactic by those that enjoy seeing this and other boards filled with stories that make Romney supporters/Republicans look like savages, morons, etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »

Things that happened 140 years ago is irrelevant but something about 90 years ago? Fair game, baby.

For the record, I find reference to both KKK examples above to be silly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies