What was up with Romney telling people over 60 not to listen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What was up with Romney telling people over 60 not to listen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was up with Romney telling people over 60 not to listen?  (Read 386 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »

No one accused Romney of trying to change Medicare for people over 60, neither Obama nor the moderator.  But instead of answering the question about what he would change for people under 60, he just repeated over and over that nothing would change for people over that age, and finally, when pressed, told everyone over 60 to stop listening.  It was very dismissive and off-putting.

I was really rubbed the wrong way by that.  Was anyone else?  I thought it was easily Romney's low point of the debate.
wilji1090
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

That really surprised me too. I mean maybe I'm over analyzing it, but I think it's one of those point where if people take it at face value then they're gonna wake up to something nasty.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

I think it is 55, not 60.

The reason he repeated that no changes would be for people over 55, was because 1) Whenever medicare is discussed current seniors get very alarmed regardless of whether or not such is being accused or not, and so he was trying to reassure them that there wouldn't be any changes for them, and 2) Emphasize Obamacare's cuts to the Medicare and the impact that will have on seniors in contrast.

I only heard him say  "stop listening if you are over 55", once. Obama then reversed it and said "If you are 54 or 55, you might want to keep listening". Lastly, I think it was referencing only his reply and not the entire debate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »

Romney didn't want seniors to realize he was including them among the 47% who feel entitled.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies