Post 1st Debate: Who will win the Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Post 1st Debate: Who will win the Election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will win Election?
Obama/Biden

Romney/Ryan

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Post 1st Debate: Who will win the Election?  (Read 3197 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »

I'm not quite sure about this; Obama being defeated at what he usually excels does not bear well for him even if he still leads the polls.

Obama has never been an incredible debater, to be honest. He managed to beat McCain in '08 but that was only after about 9,000 debates with Hillary Clinton (and MSM declared him the loser of at least 8,000 of them).

People have very short memories... He beat McCain because McCain was only slightly worse than he was.

Also, Obama's not done a debate like this for 4 years.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »

I'm not quite sure about this; Obama being defeated at what he usually excels does not bear well for him even if he still leads the polls.

Obama has never been an incredible debater, to be honest. He managed to beat McCain in '08 but that was only after about 9,000 debates with Hillary Clinton (and MSM declared him the loser of at least 8,000 of them).

People have very short memories... He beat McCain because McCain was only slightly worse than he was.

Also, Obama's not done a debate like this for 4 years.

Indeed. He had a ton of practice in the form of his debates against Clinton in '08. Romney was the practiced one here, not that he was up against incredibly challenging opponents in his primary... Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »

And of course Kerry whooped Bush in the first debate in 2004. And Bush was generally considered to have won the first one in 2000. Bit of a pattern here...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »

In regards to InTrade, people often expect overreactions now on that, some might've bought Romney figuring he'd rise so they could sell later.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »

Obama is still favored, however, if the other two debates are similar to this, Mitt Romney will win the election.

dirks

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »

Obama I say...70% to win. I believe however Ryan will beat Biden and continue the momentum

If Obama loses the town hall debate...that could be the tipping point. Last night was not the tipping point, last night was Romney proving he looked presidential and ready for prime time.

It will take a Romney debate sweep to gradually chip away in places like Penn. and Ohio. Those margins will not be made up overnight. Last night was just a first step
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »

guys I don't think vs.-incumbent elections are decided by things like debates.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »

Well Ford's debate gaffe arguably cost him the election, but Obama didn't have anything comparable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

Well Ford's debate gaffe arguably cost him the election, but Obama didn't have anything comparable.

Nixon cost Ford the election, the fact that it ever came as close as it did was a total joke.
milhouse24
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

Romney will win the election if voters judge the 3 debates.  Obama is a bad debater.  Voters will clearly see that Romney would make a more competent president, just based on the debates. 

But I have a feeling that Liberals will just ignore the debates and say they are meaningless, and hope the media boosts Obama's popularity enough for a win. 

But its pretty clear now, that Romney should win the election.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »

Its eerie how much this election is paralleling 2004. Like that one the incumbent came out of the conventions with a big lead all through September who then went on to lose his first debate. I suspect that Romney, like Kerry, will get a bump to tighten the race.

If Obama loses all three debates as badly as last night I think he could lose the election, but like Bush, I suspect he will do better in the next ones. Obama has got the message and the town hall is more suited for him, and should be able to win or draw the foreign policy debate. I dont really think the VP debate matters except for entertainment but Biden should do fine.

The problem for Romney is that he may tighten the race but, again like with Kerry, I don't see him winning OH (or enough states to compensate for losing OH).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

You are all missing the point.  The Rust Belt might very well vote for Romney, especially if he explains what he really believed about the auto bailout and that his proposed plan was exactly what happened in real life.  And even if Romney wins the next two debates, it's not a guarantee that he wins the election.   In 2004 it was agreed that John Kerry won all the debates, and he still lost.  And all the signs I've seen, including the polls, suggest it will be a close election.  I say that it's a 50-50 chance for either candidate winning.  But I will admit, this campaign seems eerily similar to the 2006 gubernatorial election in my home state of Michigan.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »

You are all missing the point.  The Rust Belt might very well vote for Romney, especially if he explains what he really believed about the auto bailout and that his proposed plan was exactly what happened in real life.[/i]  And even if Romney wins the next two debates, it's not a guarantee that he wins the election.   In 2004 it was agreed that John Kerry won all the debates, and he still lost.  And all the signs I've seen, including the polls, suggest it will be a close election.  I say that it's a 50-50 chance for either candidate winning.  But I will admit, this campaign seems eerily similar to the 2006 gubernatorial election in my home state of Michigan.

I doubt.

Romney response to the Auto bailout is convoluted(and wrong btw) and a mess.

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »

Tomorrows job number will be VERY important.

If it is a "good" number for Obama (saw 150K or better) Romney likely loses a good bit of the bump he get from last nights trashing of the teleprompterless unwonderkinder.......

If it is a "bad" number, say under 100K, Romney gets a quick and powerful reinforcement of his message, and he might get a pretty decent bump.

Obama is running a better campaign.

He has more money, and is doing a better job coordinating his message with friendly organizations (CBC, ABC, NBC, NYTimes, PBS, etc) than Romney is with his friendlies (Crossroads GPS, Talk Radio, etc)

The GOP has always subcontracted it's "grassroots" out to conservative organizations, and they are still not quite there for Romney.

Obama is still ahead, it's closer than it was.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »

You are all missing the point.  The Rust Belt might very well vote for Romney, especially if he explains what he really believed about the auto bailout and that his proposed plan was exactly what happened in real life.[/i]  And even if Romney wins the next two debates, it's not a guarantee that he wins the election.   In 2004 it was agreed that John Kerry won all the debates, and he still lost.  And all the signs I've seen, including the polls, suggest it will be a close election.  I say that it's a 50-50 chance for either candidate winning.  But I will admit, this campaign seems eerily similar to the 2006 gubernatorial election in my home state of Michigan.

Not true.  Romney opposed federal funding for the auto industry bailout.  The Obama Administration provided federal funding for the bailout. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 03:11:32 AM »

Nixon cost Ford the election, the fact that it ever came as close as it did was a total joke.

Plus Ford was basically only a pseudo incumbent anyway.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »

Obama, though I'm less confident now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies