"Pulpit Freedom Sunday": Ministers to defy IRS ruling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Pulpit Freedom Sunday": Ministers to defy IRS ruling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Pulpit Freedom Sunday": Ministers to defy IRS ruling  (Read 1238 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/pastors-to-challenge-irs-over-political-endorsements-and-theyre-likely-to-get-away-with-it/2012/10/04/b6fc0350-0e57-11e2-ba6c-07bd866eb71a_story.html

Ugh. Keep in mind that this is being driven by the "Alliance Defending Freedom", which is a group whose mission statement has to do with

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.alliancedefendingfreedom.org/about

Yuck.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

Separation of church and state: love it or leave it.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »

Don't get me started on religion and tax exempt status.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

Churches typically have a political agenda anyway. They're just being more explicit about it here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »

Churches should be free to say what they want like everyone else, and pay taxes like everyone else (most relevant being property taxes), and like everyone else who is not a 501(c)(3) charity, gifts to them should not be tax deductible. It is just so simple really. I want to help churches by freeing them of their golden handcuff shackles. Let Freedom Ring!
Link
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »

Churches should be free to say what they want like everyone else, and pay taxes like everyone else (most relevant being property taxes), and like everyone else who is not a 501(c)(3) charity, gifts to them should not be tax deductible. It is just so simple really. I want to help churches by freeing them of their golden handcuff shackles. Let Freedom Ring!

Torie I don't know if I agree but I like your thought process on this one.  People can't have it both ways.  And you are right.  If you want to go into the political free speech game you have to pay your taxes like everyone else.  My only problem is entities like the Catholic Church would get hit hard if they lost their 501(c)(3) privileges.  I don't always agree with the Catholic Church but I would hate to see that happen.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »

So this is why my mother brought up the subject today.  I smoked her in a nice little 2 hour debate after she got home from work.  Lot's of fun.

Point is, churches shouldn't endorse as long as they're a 501(c)(3).  Ideally, I go with Torie, but that's not going to happen soon.

I'd revoke each and every one of those church's 501(c)(3) status (assuming that'd be legal after they violated the law), or take whatever legal remedy is available.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:04 AM »

I've never understood the connection between political activity and tax exempt status. An individual or a corporation doesn't pay a different tax rate depending on whether they endorse a candidate.  If they are a non-profit, they shouldn't pay taxes. If they are for-profit, they should.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 02:34:28 PM by 後援会 »

I've never understood the connection between political activity and tax exempt status. An individual or a corporation doesn't pay a different tax rate depending on whether they endorse a candidate.  If they are a non-profit, they shouldn't pay taxes. If they are for-profit, they should.

This.

Also, I'm an atheist and even I think organized religion needs a stronger voice in American politics, not weaker. At the very least - they would act in good faith, which is something one cannot say about many other special interests dominating much of America's governance. They would also restore some semblance of parity in some of America's social issues.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »

Will a minister in Dayton, Tennessee, pull this stunt? I want to see a redux of the Scopes Trial starring Geoffrey Figer and the Christian Legal Society with the role of defendant/prosecution reversed. That would be sweeter than Nutella.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »

Well, I guess these churches don't want their tax exemption. That's cool, I guess.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 07:24:43 AM »

I'm an atheist and even I think organized religion needs a stronger voice in American politics, not weaker. At the very least - they would act in good faith...

Oh man, you are a strange one.  But about the underlined - you apparently have never come into contact with the christian religious in the US, have you?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »

Well, I guess these churches don't want their tax exemption. That's cool, I guess.

I think they'll end up keeping them but damn man, of all entities not to f[inks] with, the IRS is always numero uno.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

I think they'll end up keeping them but damn man, of all entities not to f[inks] with, the IRS is always numero uno.
They'll keep them and get to play the victim card. The IRS doesn't have the balls to go after the churches.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

I've never understood the connection between political activity and tax exempt status. An individual or a corporation doesn't pay a different tax rate depending on whether they endorse a candidate.  If they are a non-profit, they shouldn't pay taxes. If they are for-profit, they should.

Question for the Americans: Do groups like the NRA or NARAL have to pay income tax because they endorse candidates?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

Question for the Americans: Do groups like the NRA or NARAL have to pay income tax because they endorse candidates?
It's more about property tax than income tax.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

It's more about property tax than income tax.

So the NRA would pay property tax on their headquarters correct?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies