Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe)  (Read 3996 times)
Politico
YaBB God
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2012, 11:51:02 PM by Politico »

When will the president man up and take responsibility for at least the last year or two? For a change, Obama should be more like Romney and take responsibility:

(CNN) — Mitt Romney said he was “completely wrong” when he argued that nearly half of Americans were “victims” and dependent on government.

The admission came Thursday as the GOP presidential candidate sought to clarify his controversial “47%”
comments.

“Clearly in a campaign with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you’re going to say something that doesn’t come out right,” Romney said on Fox News. “In this case, I said something that’s just completely wrong.”

On Fox News Thursday night, Romney was asked what he would have said if the president had brought up the controversial statements–which is when the GOP nominee went as far as to say he was “wrong.”
He then argued that, if elected, he would represent all Americans, not just half.

“I absolutely believe, however, that my life has shown that I care about 100% and that’s been demonstrated throughout my life. And this whole campaign is about the 100%. When I become president, it will be helping the 100%.”

Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/04/romney-on-47-comments-i-was-completely-wrong/
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 11:56:04 PM by Politico »

The 47% was not a gaffe... he didn't misspeak... there was a clear stream of consciousness and a line of argument.

Romney admits he was wrong, which takes character to do. He misspoke. We have 8% unemployment, 23 million people out of work, from 32 million to 47 million people on food stamps, and the first and only presidential term of four years of trillion dollar deficits. Which is worse? Who wants four more years of the last four years?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 12:08:36 AM by Politico »

Last night, the Governor laid out a vision for the next four years. It is the president who failed to defend the last four years, let alone set down a vision for the future. Last night proved that the Romney that Obama keeps talking about is a figment of the Obama campaign's imagination.

But some of you completely missed this because you're blinded by partisanship and an emotional connection with a politician who was, in a word, hype.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 08:11:14 AM by Politico »

He sure took his time taking responsibility.

We're still waiting for the president to take responsibility for at least the last year or two.

Romney misspoke. Under Obama's leadership, we have 23 million people out of work, trillion dollar deficits each of the last four years, and 47 million people on food stamps. Which is worse? When somebody honestly answers this, then they can slam Romney for being man enough to take responsibility for his mistakes.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 11:40:21 PM by Politico »

Beet, 47% don't pay income tax. Connect the dots.

What Mittens was getting at, was those who game the government rather than sweat for a living won't vote for him really. The "gamer" percentage number is far lower of course - and some of those will be voting for Mittens too in fact who don't like Obama for whatever reason. The whole thing was a total cf.

Yeah, Romney misspoke any way you slice or dice it.

Romney should have generalized instead of sticking a 47% figure with his comments. The real number is probably more like 20-30% (e.g., Obama Phone Lady, etc.), but it is impossible to know for sure.

That said, Romney is a good person who cares about 100% of the country. He will be a president for 100% even if half of the 100% do not back him.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

Mitt said he was wrong, and that he would be the President for 100% of Americans.

You will just have to trust Mitt on this one.

Yeah, and I would just add that Mitt has spent countless hours and resources in volunteer activities over the past forty years. He did not do any of this volunteering for political purposes, which is why he refuses to highlight it for political points today.

Romney IS a savvy numbers guy and an exceptional businessman, but he is also a caring person who hates to see anybody struggle, let alone struggle and think they are dependent upon the government when they are not.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 12:14:46 AM by Politico »

If I didn't know better I'd think his last name was Rorschach instead of Romney since he tries so hard to be an ink blot in which people can see what they want to see.

*Takes off the partisan hat and puts on the policy hat*

I hate to say it, or at least be so blunt about it, but this is the type of leader that America thrives on. Most of America loves BS, loves hearing what they want to hear, which is why most of us loved The King of BS AKA Bill Clinton (e.g., "When I was in England I experimented with marijuana a time or two -- and didn't like it -- and didn't inhale and never tried inhaling again"). Give us a president who thrives on BS and is open and honest about it, somebody like Clinton, and confidence soars. Give us a Debbie Downer, somebody like Carter, and confidence tanks. As we all know, confidence matters in an economy.

Should it be this way? Not necessarily. But there is no changing it. We might as well embrace it, and give the people what they demand. Restore confidence, and thrive as a result.

Ultimately, what matters is the bottom-line: A growing economy where most people are seeing their incomes go up, and therefore their overall happiness go up. We can achieve these results with Romney's leadership, policies and, yes, his confidence-boosting Rorschach calculus.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies