Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:42:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe)  (Read 4039 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »

Can we just insert some facts into this discussion- as in, what Romney really said? Let me just paste the actual text of the quote, if you will.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax…[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. "

Am I wrong in reading that Romney said that there are 47 percent of people with a series of characteristics, which include:
(a) they're dependent on government
(b) they believe they're victims
(c) they believe government has a responsibility to care for them
(d) they believe they're entitled to health care, food, housing, and "you-name-it"
(e) they will vote for Obama
(f) they pay no income tax

It seems to me that Romney's statements were quite clear. It seems to me that he was speaking emotionally, and got carried away when he mentioned the income tax portion. He was not saying that people who don't pay income tax are all for Obama. He was saying that 47 of people who will never vote for him pay no income tax. Logically, it's absurd, but it was more about emotion and sentiment, even though he is using the language of facts. Does that make sense?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »

Beet, 47% don't pay income tax. Connect the dots.

What Mittens was getting at, was those who game the government rather than sweat for a living won't vote for him really. The "gamer" percentage number is far lower of course - and some of those will be voting for Mittens too in fact who don't like Obama for whatever reason. The whole thing was a total cf.

Errr-- aren't the more obvious "dots" when someone says that 47% won't vote for him, that it is taken to mean Obama has a floor of 47%? If I say that "wow, these refinery explosions in California mean by premium gas prices are $6.66", I am talking about a financial subject. I am not thinking about the Bible just because it also happens to include a number with the same three digits, even if I mention that later.

There are no insinuations here. What Romney made a series of simple declarative assertions, clearly and in plain English. There is no need for anyone to translate anything. Or is that now too much to handle as well?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies