SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:28:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd)  (Read 15833 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »

It's absurd to base a residency permit on school grades at all. I'm not willing to make even further restrictions.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »

There should be a GPA that's high enough so that beneficiaries have the incentive to not only get the education, but do well in getting the education so that they may go to a respectable college and not put themselves (and likely their families) in an endless cycle of poverty that will often result.  I can support a slight reduction in the GPA requirement, but not the removal of it.  Ben's amendment is friendly.

This is an unreasonable and discriminatory requirement. I may still vote for the final bill despite that, but I very strongly disagree.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:50 AM »

We need core requirements.  We can't have students getting Cs in Math, but As in Art.  There needs to be distinctions.

I see no reason to have such a requirement.

I objectt your amendment, FTR.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »

I object.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »

I don't wish to restrict the residency rights to people before a certain date.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »

NAY
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »

To explain myself:

I have no intention of changing my vote here. Just as I agree with birthright citizenship as a principle, for the same reason, I don't believe in punishing people who came to Atlasia as minors with their parents and are not responsible for the illegal behavior. (Now that I think about it, that does mean I would be willing to support an addition stating that they must come to Atlasia with parents or legal guardians to qualify, otherwise any minor could go across the border himself and claim residency status.)

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »

As previously stated, I object to the amendment.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

NAY
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 12:33:20 PM by Senator Franzl »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I propose this amendment as a substitute.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »

I would appreciate some discussion on this. If the GPA is something you absolutely require (I think it's absurd, but most here seem to think differently), can we at least discuss the suspension rule? Are we seriously saying one suspension at any point as a teenager is something that should decide over whether that person can become a citizen of Atlasia? Seriously?

The medical examinations seem wrong to me...but the submission of biometric data is really wrong. For what purpose?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »

My hard-line conservative stance on qualification for amnesty is that "it shouldn't be simple." Maybe that's heartless, but this is a huge privilege to extend, and I'm kind of surprised I'm even at the table at all. I really think there should be a general GPA requirement. I'm not against the "no-suspensions" rule. I have little opinion on medical requirements, but I'm not against them as an additional hoop to jump through.

We shouldn't be creating hoops that people need to jump through. Any restrictions we decide on should only serve legitimate interests.

Why do we allow birthright citizenship for people born in this country (irrespective of the legal status of their parents), but if they're brought into Atlasia when they're 2 years old, we deny them any chance at citizenship if they got suspended from school once and have a 2.9 GPA in high school. And then we force them to submit biometric information as an "additional hoop to jump through"? You think this is alright?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

Nothing is preventing them from going back home and getting in line the way they were supposed to. Like I said, I'm not against the "no-suspension" rule. And I phrased it that way on purpose: If it was removed, I would probably still vote for the legislation. I'm just not going to be the one to amend the bill. Because yes, I do think it's all right.

I do still think there should be a base level of academic achievement.

Soon we'll get parents bringing children over to Atlasia just because they know the kids will get amnesty. We can't reward that, whether the children asked for it or not. The children have their say in the matter by working towards the academic standards outlined in the bill.

I still don't see how this is consistent with the principle of birthright citizenship. Can't a woman cross the border to give birth to her child so that the child will automatically not only receive a residency permit but citizenship?

If you're against granting citizenship based on place of birth, than you are at least consistent, even though I think it's bad policy Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:09:46 AM »

Franzl, did you go back and edit your amendment to remove the strikethrough for the GPA requirements? I could've sworn the GPA requirement was crossed out when I first read it.

As it stands now though, I can probably support your amended version of the bill.

Yes, I did. I still support eliminating the GPA requirements, but I doubt a majority would agree.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »

I would rather abolish it entirely, but I'll take the reduction.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »

AYE
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »

AYE, as it's certainly better than nothing. I would prefer if we forced people to jump through fewer hoops....but alright.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »

AYE
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »

Also changing my vote to ABSTAIN.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: