SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:40:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd)  (Read 15856 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: October 07, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »

I would suggest seeing what the GM says about the costs before moving forward.

Giving Amnesty to illegals is one of the most insane proposals out there. I understand compassion but it is a cyclical, self-fullfilling prophecy. I understand compassion and I understand idealism, but it is essential to understand the reality of the situation. 1) Every country retains the sovereign rights to control what comes across their borders. 2) Choosing not to do so is just as much an assertive action as choosing to do so. 3) The impact of this decision not is a distortion on the economy. 4) This distortion is manifested in wage depression which hurts the working poor. 5) Nothing in 3 or 4 should be taken to mean that immigration hurts the economy, it helps, but it has to be controlled and regulated. 6) No amount of idealism will change the fact that there is a certain numerical threshold for the number of new immigrants that society can absorb at one time, and crossing that limit will do more to harm your idealistic vision then help it. That number is a mystery but I am not inclined to tempt fate. As much as believe in "country exceptionalism", such is limited to certain things and just like no country is exceptional enough to not have to pay its bills forever, no country can escape these limits in terms of population upheaval. That leads to 7) With just legal immigration you can bring in people within an acceptable range, and not risk that.

That said, if you put enough standards and qualifications, I can accept making exceptions for the children since they weren't the decision maker at the time. The standards must be tight, they must have to pass whatever schooling they are in and/or serve honorably for the entirety of their military service. Mass cheating of the system is indicative of a disturbing process whereby people who have cheated the system once (though not by their choice), continue to have no other desire but to cheat the system when the opporunity affords them. That shouldn't be rewarded. As for having no standards at all, see what I posted above. I just listened to "Crazy on You" by Heart, I can't think of a better description for what Redalgo's amendment is doing to us. Tongue

It may be in the morning before I can process the amendment.

Want to pass E-verify? I'd support you, in exchange for amnesty for everyone who came before 2011.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »

Aye. I support blanket amnesty, so I would go further than this amendment, but with E-verify and perhaps greater border control. Let's make it happen people.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

I think getting rid of the pull (jobs) will sort things out on their own over time. People already here should be allowed to stay BUT we must prevent future illegals coming over to take jobs.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »

Also amnesty shouldn't mean automatic citizenship. It should be like a green card with possibility of naturalization after a certain period of time.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »

Nay
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »

I urge the senators that have already voted nay to reconsider, and I hope those that have not yet voted are in the affirmative on this.  I will work for the defeat of this bill if it ends up detracting from its principles the way those in the far-left apparently want it to do.

What I would like is amnesty for all non-criminal illegal aliens in exchange for E-Verify. Hell, throw in more border control as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. And Yankee, I doubt you will see a lot of opposition to that in RL either. It's laws that empower racists, such as AZ SB 1070, that are troubling.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies