Colorado: Romney's Comeback State?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Colorado: Romney's Comeback State?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Colorado: Romney's Comeback State?  (Read 1537 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/colorado-romneys-comeback-state/263280/

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

The state will come down to the wire, but Romney can pull it off.  CO voters are voting their pocketbooks this election.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

Yeah, if he manages to win OH/VA/FL, this is the state that will put him over the top.

You also can't underestimate the Gary Johnson effect - this is the state where he might very well draw more from Obama than Romney. His emphasis on the pro-legalization/anti-war platform as opposed to his GOP-friendly economic views makes that likely.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »

I don't think CO is a tipping point, not as long as OH and WI continues to lean Obama. Romney is going to to need both IA and NV on top of CO to go over 270 (assuming he has already picked up FL, VA, NC)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »

I don't think CO is a tipping point, not as long as OH and WI continues to lean Obama. Romney is going to to need both IA and NV on top of CO to go over 270 (assuming he has already picked up FL, VA, NC)
As of today according to RCP, Ohio is now tossup so the race is now closer than ever.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »

Ohio white voters are voting with their pocketbooks this election, that's why Obama will win it by a large margin. They understand that their state is very high up in the queue to be thrown under the bus by the Republican friendly capital.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

Ohio white voters are voting with their pocketbooks this election, that's why Obama will win it by a large margin. They understand that their state is very high up in the queue to be thrown under the bus by the Republican friendly capital.
Union labors favor Obama, and government workers for that matter.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »

Union labors favor Obama, and government workers for that matter.
Precisely my point, but other voters in Ohio also understand that without these institutions their state would be another Mississippi.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

Obama wins CO.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »

This. I predict Obama will win the state by 5-7 points, but since his abysmal performance in the Debate, I'm not sure he can do ANYTHING right.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

Quite possibly, it's a state that's been very hostile to Obama.  When his approval ratings first started to go from positive territory into the mid-40s, Colorado was one of the first states that had him not just in the mid-40s but the low 40s.  I would imagine some of the older voters out there that made the state such a Republican stronghold in the past are quite fickle.  They probably soured on the GOP when the party took a hard right socially, and therefore were easily swept up in the Obama almost-landslide of 2008.  I could imagine a moderate like Romney (which in all actuality he is) playing very well in Colorado and what is perceived as failed Democratic economic policies being VERY unpopular. 

As it is, I believe Romney's Hispanic problem to be fatal.. but if he can really pull off this "white" thing, as in, be the very last campaign to win on the strength of the white vote alone... maybe he pulls it off.  It's VERY, VERY close to being the tipping point state. 
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »

Don't forget this is a state Dems tend to overperform polling in. In 2008 polls had it slightly R compared to national numbers and it ended up slightly D.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

I don't think Romeny wins CO and even if he does he won't win WI, FL, OH or VA. He can't win.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »

The "War on women" worked well in 2010, no reason it won't work again in 2012 even with a horrible economy and crushing debt.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »

CO, or maybe NH, is going to be the "small" state that pushes us over 270. People will point to the debate being the difference much like they said the 2008 DNC was the difference last time.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »

Side note; regardless of whoever wins, the Romney campaign is busing in a crapload of LDS volunteers into Colorado and Nevada.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »

I could see Romney winning CO before winning OH.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »

The "War on women" worked well in 2010, no reason it won't work again in 2012 even with a horrible economy and crushing debt.
People's pocketbooks and fiscal policies trumps the war on women.  Sometimes, the democrats like to pull sh*t out of their a** and say its a merit issue of the election.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 01:42:24 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 01:53:17 AM by Politico »

People's pocketbooks and fiscal policies trumps the war on women.  Sometimes, the democrats like to pull sh*t out of their a** and say its a merit issue of the election.

Yeah, like gay marriage for Bert and Ernie.

Like the guy who voices Elmo, Obama is good at reading a script off a teleprompter. Unfortunately, Obama is still taking number lessons from Count Von Count.

A great video of Sesame Street Obama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgeuCgODgv4
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »

That is the fourth time you've used that joke, it's still awful, and the idea that this is some sort of distracting "merit issue" (whatever that means) that Obama will use to play for swing votes in Colorado...bizarre.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »

That is the fourth time you've used that joke, it's still awful, and the idea that this is some sort of distracting "merit issue" (whatever that means) that Obama will use to play for swing votes in Colorado...bizarre.

It's well-established that Democrats planned on using gay marriage as a "wedge" issue for the fall in an attempt to distract from the dismal economy. Fortunately, Biden blew the plans back in May.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 02:05:22 AM »

It's well-established that Democrats planned on using gay marriage as a "wedge" issue for the fall in an attempt to distract from the dismal economy. Fortunately, Biden blew the plans back in May.

Wedge issue, or means of exciting the base?  Think about the demographics of the average swing voter in this election and tell me that announcing support for gay marriage would appeal to them.  Gay marriage is still a better wedge issue for Republicans than Democrats.  As calculated as Obama's decision might have been, it would not be effective as a "distraction."  That's incoherent.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 03:05:35 AM »

I'm a homo and no matter what the dems could tell me about marriage my vote would go to Romney/Ryan this cycle. Once gay marriage is legal in the whole country dems wouldn't be able to keep the homo voting bloc, which is why they will never act on it (and blame republican outcry as their reason not to force the issue). Many homos are waking up to the fact they end up as DINKs later in life (double income no kids) and with 'progressive' taxes from the left why would I support an administration not only inactive on social issues but also increasing my taxation? Its pretty plain and simple no?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »

I'm a homo and no matter what the dems could tell me about marriage my vote would go to Romney/Ryan this cycle. Once gay marriage is legal in the whole country dems wouldn't be able to keep the homo voting bloc, which is why they will never act on it (and blame republican outcry as their reason not to force the issue). Many homos are waking up to the fact they end up as DINKs later in life (double income no kids) and with 'progressive' taxes from the left why would I support an administration not only inactive on social issues but also increasing my taxation? Its pretty plain and simple no?

I love this post for so many different reasons.

Though be quite fair, LGBT Americans are not a monolithic Democratic voting bloc. The GOP took somewhere around 35% or so of LGBT voters in 2010, which is probably better than the GOP does among conservative evangelical fundamentalist blacks.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 03:40:23 AM »

I love this post for so many different reasons.

Though be quite fair, LGBT Americans are not a monolithic Democratic voting bloc. The GOP took somewhere around 35% or so of LGBT voters in 2010, which is probably better than the GOP does among conservative evangelical fundamentalist blacks.

35 is higher than I expected so thanks for the info!, but too often we are thought of as this singular entity out with the rest banging our war drums for atheism abortion and same sex marriage. Truth is I see the breakup of the lgbt 'voting bloc' happening right in front of me. many are tired of this interminable pandering and we all saw Obamas 'evolution' on the issue as total bs (he was for it the whole time, durr). It's just so tiring, all these games. So many are looking instead to the most economically sound candidate because having a job and a bright future to share with someone is usually the first step before marriage..
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies