Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:35:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks  (Read 6731 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »

Didn't New Hampshire have some GOP legislators who advocated that every new piece of legislation should cite the Magna Charta or something along those lines a while back?

See, that's just wacky and strange. Not something horribly offensive that really makes me do a double-take.

Actually, I'm forgetting something. There was a Democrat who celebrated the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and claimed it as something good to do to more cities. But he was a Democrat, so I assumed everyone ignored it happened.

Snowstalker isn't an elected public official.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/27/nick-levasseur-apology-an_n_516058.html

Ah. Good ol' New Hampshire.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »

I think this is being taken out of contest.  He wasn't saying that slavery was a good thing, he was saying that the former slaves would be blessed by being granted citizenship after slavery was ended, and that that was a great thing after all the adversity they faced.  Never mind that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship and suffrage to former slaves, or that it was Democrats who fought against all of those measures.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/10/05/republican-extremists-in-their-own-words#.UG8Wr-XNpyk.twitter

Extremism is no vice among Arkansas Republicans. And, no, I'm not talking about neo-Confederate Republican Rep. Loy Mauch, who once tried to have Abraham Lincoln's bust removed from the Hot Springs Convention Center.

There's also Rep. Jon Hubbard of Jonesboro, famously unhinged, who's put some of his choicest thoughts on paper in a book available on Amazon, “Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative.”

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)
Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks,or that it was Democrats who supported the Confederacy and Republicans the Union during the Civil War.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »

Never mind indeed. These people are Republicans today. They wouldn't have been a hundred years ago, of course, but that was a hundred years ago.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

I think this is being taken out of contest.  He wasn't saying that slavery was a good thing, he was saying that the former slaves would be blessed by being granted citizenship after slavery was ended, and that that was a great thing after all the adversity they faced.  Never mind that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship and suffrage to former slaves, or that it was Democrats who fought against all of those measures.

You are dangerously close to being on my ignore list. Do you have any legitimate points or can you not comprehend any events that have transpired in the last 140 years? Are you from some kind of time void that opened up and spit you into the present? Are you the reincarnation of Thaddeus Stevens?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »

You are dangerously close to being on my ignore list. Do you have any legitimate points or can you not comprehend any events that have transpired in the last 140 years? Are you from some kind of time void that opened up and spit you into the present? Are you the reincarnation of Thaddeus Stevens?
I can.  The liberal agenda of cradle-to-grave welfare for racial minorities is the antithesis of civil rights.  The best way to advance civil rights is to increase economic opportunity for racial minorities by helping make them independent.  Welfare in its current state (or, as Clinton would say, "welfare as we know it",) is the slavery of the 21st Century.  We need to reform our social programs so that they make people independent rather than dependent.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »

Never mind indeed. These people are Republicans today. They wouldn't have been a hundred years ago, of course, but that was a hundred years ago.
I didn't know Bob Byrd was a Republican when he died.

A few of the racists and segregationist, like Strom Thurmond and David Duke, may have become Republicans, but the vast majority of them stayed Democrats for life.  Last time Bob Byrd and Fritz Hollings were in the Senate, they were still Democrats.  George Wallace, Bull Connor, Lester Maddox, George Mahoney, Herman Talmadge, Orval Faubus, William Fulbright, Sam Ervin, Al Gore Sr., and the rest all stayed with the Democratic Party for the rest of their lives.  And most openly white supremacist Republicans, like David Duke, are never accepted by the Party today.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »

I didn't know Bob Byrd was a Republican when he died.

A few of the racists and segregationist, like Strom Thurmond and David Duke, may have become Republicans, but the vast majority of them stayed Democrats for life.  Last time Bob Byrd and Fritz Hollings were in the Senate, they were still Democrats.  George Wallace, Bull Connor, Lester Maddox, George Mahoney, Herman Talmadge, Orval Faubus, William Fulbright, Sam Ervin, Al Gore Sr., and the rest all stayed with the Democratic Party for the rest of their lives.  And most openly white supremacist Republicans, like David Duke, are never accepted by the Party today.

Almost all of those people are also dead. Just as an FYI.
Link
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »

Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks...

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
Link
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »

I think this is being taken out of contest.  He wasn't saying that slavery was a good thing, he was saying that the former slaves would be blessed by being granted citizenship after slavery was ended, and that that was a great thing after all the adversity they faced.  Never mind that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship and suffrage to former slaves, or that it was Democrats who fought against all of those measures.

Tens of thousands of African immigrants who did not have their family units destroyed and their cultural identity flushed down the toilet humbly disagree.  If you see the descendents of slaves celebrating Kwanza and think they are better off than African immigrants who have their language, culture, and identity intact you are even more delusional than we thought.

That's awful.  Thank God the descendents of slaves don't have to have a burden like that!

By Oldiesfreak1854 logic since a lot of Jews were allowed to immigrate to the US in the 30s and 40s we should all send a big thank you card to Hitler.

Disgusting.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »

Please name a former segregationist who is both still 1-alive and 2-of any influence whatsoever in the modern day Democratic Party.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »

You do realize that a huge portion of Democrats were in favor of civil rights by the time the Civil Rights Act was passed and that only a small portion of Dixiecrats were opposed, right?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »

I can.  The liberal agenda of cradle-to-grave welfare for racial minorities is the antithesis of civil rights.  The best way to advance civil rights is to increase economic opportunity for racial minorities by helping make them independent.  Welfare in its current state (or, as Clinton would say, "welfare as we know it",) is the slavery of the 21st Century.  We need to reform our social programs so that they make people independent rather than dependent.

lol
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »

Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks...

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?  I bet you wouldn't be excusing unsavory figures in the GOP by saying "those people are dead."
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »

You do realize that a huge portion of Democrats were in favor of civil rights by the time the Civil Rights Act was passed and that only a small portion of Dixiecrats were opposed, right?
Yes.  But in terms of percentages, more Republicans supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act than Democrats.

Tens of thousands of African immigrants who did not have their family units destroyed and their cultural identity flushed down the toilet humbly disagree.  If you see the descendents of slaves celebrating Kwanza and think they are better off than African immigrants who have their language, culture, and identity intact you are even more delusional than we thought.

That's awful.  Thank God the descendents of slaves don't have to have a burden like that!

By Oldiesfreak1854 logic since a lot of Jews were allowed to immigrate to the US in the 30s and 40s we should all send a big thank you card to Hitler.

Disgusting.
No; I support keeping their cultural identity, but I'm saying that they have become dependent on welfare and that is keeping them down.  And a lot of other Jews weren't allowed into the US during the Nazi regime and the Holocaust.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

George Wallace...

I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?
No, it doesn't matter that someone decades ago was a Democrat and that his ideology has been completely rejected by the party.

Let's talk about Nixon, and how the GOP is the party of lying thieving scumbags. Doesn't it matter that Nixon was a Republican?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »

Yes.  But in terms of percentages, more Republicans supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act than Democrats.

And most of the people in the Senate at the time are now dead and their ideologies gone. Where's your point?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

Regardless of party, statements and sentiments like these are moronic to the point of being evil.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »

Please name a former segregationist who is both still 1-alive and 2-of any influence whatsoever in the modern day Democratic Party.

Jimmy Carter
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

George Wallace...

I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?  I bet you wouldn't be excusing unsavory figures in the GOP by saying "those people are dead."

Actually yes I would. I would consider it absurd to argue that someone should not vote Republican because it was the party of Joe McCarthy. Even Jesse Helms would be irrelevant today. I can think of hordes of living and still relevant people in the GOP that are the reason I would advise someone to never vote Republican and why I never would, just as you can no doubt name many modern Democrats you strongly dislike and would never vote for. And that's the only thing that should matter in modern day context. What you are talking about is about as logical as trying to organize boycotts of Germany because of WWII and the Holocaust. Modern day Germany bears as much resemblance to Nazi Germany as the modern day Democratic Party does to the party in the 19th century or the guys you are raving about.

Jimmy Carter

The guy who declared in his inaugural speech when elected Governor that the era of segregation was over and he would do everything to prevent racial discrimination and appointed many blacks to offices? He might've been a State Senator for a couple years before the Civil Rights Act but he obviously wasn't someone out arguing and fighting for segregation like the guys Oldiesfreak keeps bringing up.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »

For the record the "Confederate Jesus" guy looks like his district might've voted for Gore, so he's likely done. The state party's already disowned him and announced he's not getting any money (along with the other two clowns who made the news lately, though I'm not as familiar with their districts.)
Link
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 12:12:00 AM by Link »

I think this is being taken out of contest.  He wasn't saying that slavery was a good thing, he was saying that the former slaves would be blessed by being granted citizenship after slavery was ended, and that that was a great thing after all the adversity they faced.  Never mind that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship and suffrage to former slaves, or that it was Democrats who fought against all of those measures.

Tens of thousands of African immigrants who did not have their family units destroyed and their cultural identity flushed down the toilet humbly disagree.  If you see the descendents of slaves celebrating Kwanza and think they are better off than African immigrants who have their language, culture, and identity intact you are even more delusional than we thought.

That's awful.  Thank God the descendents of slaves don't have to have a burden like that!

Disgusting.
No; I support keeping their cultural identity, but I'm saying that they have become dependent on welfare and that is keeping them down.

And how do you propose the descendents of slaves do that?  America already obliterated their families, eliminated their language, and destroyed all of their African traditions.  Do you think that may be why SOME of them are on welfare and African immigrants who didn't have all the glorious benefits of slavery and Jim Crow are at the top of the academic league tables?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »

Also, Al Gore Sr. was never a segregationist. He was one of only four senators from the South that refused to sign the Southern Manifesto.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 10:09:27 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Disgusting.
No; I support keeping their cultural identity, but I'm saying that they have become dependent on welfare and that is keeping them down.

And how do you propose the descendents of slaves do that?  America already obliterated their families, eliminated their language, and destroyed all of their African traditions.  Do you think that may be why SOME of them are on welfare and African immigrants who didn't have all the glorious benefits of slavery and Jim Crow are at the top of the academic league tables?
No.  They should be allowed to keep as much or as little of their African and/or American black culture as they want.  And as for, "those guys are dead and gone now," would you give the same lenience to a now-dead Republican who did something like that (or anything else that doesn't reflect well on a person?)  I doubt it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 10:25:39 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?
No, it doesn't matter that someone decades ago was a Democrat and that his ideology has been completely rejected by the party.

Let's talk about Nixon, and how the GOP is the party of lying thieving scumbags. Doesn't it matter that Nixon was a Republican?
There have been plenty of lying thieving scumbags in the Democratic Party as well.  No party has a monopoly on that.  This exactly illustrates my point.  Nixon is dead.  But you are so quick to portray Republicans as liars, thieves, and scumbags because he was a Republican.  And aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually a pretty good president.

Also, Al Gore Sr. was never a segregationist. He was one of only four senators from the South that refused to sign the Southern Manifesto.
Hey may not have signed the Southern Manifesto but he also filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

George Wallace...

Actually yes I would. I would consider it absurd to argue that someone should not vote Republican because it was the party of Joe McCarthy. Even Jesse Helms would be irrelevant today. I can think of hordes of living and still relevant people in the GOP that are the reason I would advise someone to never vote Republican and why I never would, just as you can no doubt name many modern Democrats you strongly dislike and would never vote for. And that's the only thing that should matter in modern day context. What you are talking about is about as logical as trying to organize boycotts of Germany because of WWII and the Holocaust. Modern day Germany bears as much resemblance to Nazi Germany as the modern day Democratic Party does to the party in the 19th century or the guys you are raving about.

I don't oppose the Democratic Party simply because they were the party of slavery and segregation, but it's certainly one reason I do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies