Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks  (Read 6740 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

I've never seen anyone cite Joe McCarthy as a reason to not support the modern GOP.
Link
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks...

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

Never mind indeed. These people are Republicans today. They wouldn't have been a hundred years ago, of course, but that was a hundred years ago.
George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that. 

That's the point.  He realized he was wrong, changed his ways, apologized, and remained in the Democratic party... the other people simply left and joined the Republicans.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »

Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks...

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

Never mind indeed. These people are Republicans today. They wouldn't have been a hundred years ago, of course, but that was a hundred years ago.
George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that. 

That's the point.  He realized he was wrong, changed his ways, apologized, and remained in the Democratic party... the other people simply left and joined the Republicans.
Will you please knock it off???  The only major segregatiomist who became a Republican was Strom Thurmond.  Fritz Hollings was serving in the Senate as a Democrat as recently as 2004.  Bob Byrd was serving in the Senate as a Democrat as recently as 2010.  In 1993, Hollings made a comment about black potentates from Africa at the Law of the Sea conferences getting a square meal in Geneva "you know, instead of eating each other."  He also has referred to Mexicans as "wetbacks" and a Jewish lawmaker as "the Senate from B'nai B'rith."  In a 2001 interview on Fox News, Byrd repeatedly used the term 'white nig**r."  The last time I checked, neither of them ever became a Republican.  And don t forget guys like Lester Maddox. George Mahoney, Ross Barnett, William Fulbright (Bill Clinton's political mentor), Sam Ervin, Herman Talmadge, Orval Faubus, and all the rest who stayed with the Democratic party their whole lives.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

Byrd rejected his past positions and was both fairly liberal (for WV Democrats) and a strong Obama supporter.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?
No, it doesn't matter that someone decades ago was a Democrat and that his ideology has been completely rejected by the party.

Let's talk about Nixon, and how the GOP is the party of lying thieving scumbags. Doesn't it matter that Nixon was a Republican?
There have been plenty of lying thieving scumbags in the Democratic Party as well.  No party has a monopoly on that.  This exactly illustrates my point.  Nixon is dead.  But you are so quick to portray Republicans as liars, thieves, and scumbags because he was a Republican.  And aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually a pretty good president.

Yes. And there have been plenty of segregationists in the Republican Party as well (see Mr. Thurmond). No party has a monopoly on them. You're illustrating my point by bringing up dead people and painting Democrats as (what? pro-slavery or something?) them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

If someone wanted to argue the Republican party is corrupt and scheming because of Nixon, I'd consider that absurd. There's hordes of modern examples though. Now can you name any active segregationists in the Democratic Party?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »

Byrd rejected his past positions and was both fairly liberal (for WV Democrats) and a strong Obama supporter.
Yeah, but he repeatedly used the N-word in an interview with Fox News in 2001.

George Wallace...

I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?
No, it doesn't matter that someone decades ago was a Democrat and that his ideology has been completely rejected by the party.

Let's talk about Nixon, and how the GOP is the party of lying thieving scumbags. Doesn't it matter that Nixon was a Republican?
There have been plenty of lying thieving scumbags in the Democratic Party as well.  No party has a monopoly on that.  This exactly illustrates my point.  Nixon is dead.  But you are so quick to portray Republicans as liars, thieves, and scumbags because he was a Republican.  And aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually a pretty good president.

Yes. And there have been plenty of segregationists in the Republican Party as well (see Mr. Thurmond). No party has a monopoly on them. You're illustrating my point by bringing up dead people and painting Democrats as (what? pro-slavery or something?) them.
Actually, the vast majority of them were Democrats and stayed Democrats.  Even Thurmond was a Democrat before he became a Republican.  A few segregationists were Republicans, but they were still overwhelmingly Democrat.  I realize that both parties have had their civil rights failings and their civil rights triumphs, but Republicans were much stronger on civil rights for most of our history, and that is one reason (though not the only one) that I identify myself as a Republican.
Link
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

Yes.  It is obvious to me no matter how many times we state this FACT he will just ignore it.  Further discussion is obviously pointless.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

Yes.  It is obvious to me no matter how many times we state this FACT he will just ignore it.  Further discussion is obviously pointless.

I personally feel he's the biggest partisan on the forum. Still thinks it's 1956 ffs.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 05:24:49 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Yes.  It is obvious to me no matter how many times we state this FACT he will just ignore it.  Further discussion is obviously pointless.

I personally feel he's the biggest partisan on the forum. Still thinks it's 1956 ffs.
It's not a fact.  In 2001, Byrd repeatedly used the term "white nig**r" in an interview on Fox News.  Here is an article from when it happened:

http://capitalismmagazine.com/2001/03/democratic-sen-robert-byrd-ex-klansman/

I'm not saying that Democrats still support slavery or segregation, but they did in the past.  And before you say that that was in the past: would you give the same grace to Republicans for some of the nativists in the party back in the late 19th century?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »

And before you say that that was in the past: would you give the same grace to Republicans for some of the nativists in the party back in the late 19th century?

Yes.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 06:01:40 PM by Senator Scott »

And before you say that that was in the past: would you give the same grace to Republicans for some of the nativists in the party back in the late 19th century?

I would.  The fact of the matter is, neither party really has a clean record in regards to race.  Even Abraham Lincoln's original views on race were pretty unorthodox in comparison to those of most people today, yet he is widely admired today and those things are frequently overlooked because of the good things that he did.  There were plenty of racist Democrats, yes, but the view of a social hierarchy that divides the races was a very common one in spite of partisan differences.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

Oldiesfreak, do you believe the modern day German state and government is responsible for the actions of Germany in the past? Would you agree with someone boycotting Germany because of WWII?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 07:15:30 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Oldiesfreak, do you believe the modern day German state and government is responsible for the actions of Germany in the past? Would you agree with someone boycotting Germany because of WWII?
No, but it certainly doesn't reflect well on them, just as the Democratic Party's long history of racism doesn't reflect well on them, either.  Does it not matter to you that Germany under the Nazis committed atrocities against Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other "inferior" or "unwanted" groups during the Holocaust?  If it does, then why doesn't it matter to you that Democrats committed atrocities against blacks through the Ku Klux Klan, supporting slavery, Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, etc.?

And even if Lincoln did have some racist views (which I still doubt), he still recognized blacks as people.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »

Does it not matter to you that Germany under the Nazis committed atrocities against Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other "inferior" or "unwanted" groups during the Holocaust?

Does it matter, yes. Does it matter when judging modern Germany, no.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

Does it not matter to you that Germany under the Nazis committed atrocities against Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other "inferior" or "unwanted" groups during the Holocaust?

Does it matter, yes. Does it matter when judging modern Germany, no.

Exactly. And I seriously don't know where this guy is going from in saying that people hold the same standard toward Republicans, I have never heard anyone say the main reason they are a Democrat is the 19th century Republican nativists, or because of Joe McCarthy or Richard Nixon. With the hordes of reasons there are to vote against the modern day GOP I'd find anyone citing THOSE as reasons to be rather comical.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »

Actually, the vast majority of them were Democrats and stayed Democrats.  Even Thurmond was a Democrat before he became a Republican.  A few segregationists were Republicans, but they were still overwhelmingly Democrat.  I realize that both parties have had their civil rights failings and their civil rights triumphs, but Republicans were much stronger on civil rights for most of our history, and that is one reason (though not the only one) that I identify myself as a Republican.

Stop being a pedantic partisan hack.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »

Only if you guys will do the same.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »

Link
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »

No, but it certainly doesn't reflect well on them...

That's disgusting.  Get a passport and a clue.  If you bothered to travel and actually sit down with any modern Germans you would realize how offensive your comment is.  I have multiple friends that are German and Austrian and I even dated a couple of Austrian girls.  If you think concentration camps in any way "reflect" upon a 22 year old Austrian college student then you have issues that we simply can't solve in a single thread.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »

That's disgusting.  Get a passport and a clue.  If you bothered to travel and actually sit down with any modern Germans you would realize how offensive your comment is.  I have multiple friends that are German and Austrian and I even dated a couple of Austrian girls.  If you think concentration camps in any way "reflect" upon a 22 year old Austrian college student then you have issues that we simply can't solve in a single thread.

Heck, there are older Germans that still have their 1930's Zentrum or SPD membership cards. An event shouldn't reflect badly on those who weren't involved.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »

That same legislator compared Beebe to Hitler yesterday.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

What I meant is that it doesn't reflect well on them, even if the younger generations aren't responsible for it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »

...it certainly doesn't reflect well on them, just as the Democratic Party's long history of racism doesn't reflect well on them, either.

Oldies, all white americans have a long history of racism - we live in a racist country built on genocide.  Every aspect of our culture, our identity, and all of our material possessions, land, and 'achievements' are blood-soaked and utterly spoiled.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Who is almost 91! Shocked
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies