A black can't win a close election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  A black can't win a close election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A black can't win a close election  (Read 4153 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

Am I the only one at times deeply disconcerted at the fact that an overwhelming majority of whites, and specifically white men, can vote for a candidate and yet that candidate loses?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

Bradley Effect is back!

When Opebo and JJ agree on something, it's not a good sign. Tongue

Ah, what of me saying, "Opebo is dead wrong," didn't you understand?

Opebo is wrong; just asked John Street (who I voted for).
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »

Am I the only one at times deeply disconcerted at the fact that an overwhelming majority of whites, and specifically white men, can vote for a candidate and yet that candidate loses?

If you take out how the South skews that white vote, it's not really a overwhelming majority.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44:38 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 11:56:25 PM by Politico »

For the vast, vast, vast majority of Romney's supporters, their support of Romney over Obama has NOTHING to do with race (I truly wish the converse were true, but it's not and that's largely the reason why this is even a close race given the state of our dismal economy). However, many of these same people who back Romney, for reasons other than race, refuse to openly talk about their support of Romney. They fear accusations like the types found in this thread.

For example, the only reason I am so vocal about my support for Romney on here is because of my history of backing Obama. The only reason I am comfortable speaking with many people I know about my support for Romney is because probably about one in three of my friends are minorities of one type or another, so they know there is not a racist bone in my body. If I lived in a more homogeneous bubble (e.g., if almost all of my friends were white), I would imagine that I would shy away from talking about support for Romney for fear of being accused of subtle racism (or simply fear of somebody suspecting such a terrible thing of me).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 12:38:11 AM »

Eh, these "close election" arguments are weak. "No President has ever had a close race when they ran for re-election". Yeah, except for 1888, 1892, 1916, 1948, 1976, and 2004.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »

Eh, these "close election" arguments are weak. "No President has ever had a close race when they ran for re-election". Yeah, except for 1888, 1892, 1916, 1948, 1976, and 2004.

The incumbent did lose in 1888, 1892, and 1976.  That might not be the analogy you are looking for.  Smiley

Also, in 2004, there was an improvement in both PV and EV, though it was close.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »

The incumbent did lose in 1888, 1892, and 1976.  That might not be the analogy you are looking for.  Smiley

Whether they won or lost wasn't the point. The point was they can be close.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:04 AM »

Whether they won or lost wasn't the point. The point was they can be close.

Well, obviously, and I agree with you.  Who was saying it couldn't be close?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »

'48 and '76 weren't really reelection races since the incumbent Presidents had never been elected in the first place.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

Last time I checked, he white as a sheet living Thailand and believed Obama would lose in 2008, because he believed middle America was too racist...
Hey Opebo Obama is polling +95% of Blacks just over 70% of Hispanics and probably at least 60% of Asians.

He probably can squeak a win out with a meager 37.5% of the white vote if it comes down to it.

Oh god I hope not. Talk about a racially charged election. I think Obama will stay above 40% of the white vote.

I am as pale as pale can be.  A real american of the first water.  White, but drenched in blood (Granddad washed it off but it can still be detected with that blue light, I think.  Historians use it).

But there is no way Obama gets 40% of the whites.  30-35% is more likely.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 11:01:42 AM by GERGEN AFTER FIRST DEBATE: TODAY WE HAVE A HORSE RACE »

Opebo is clearly very intelligent and informed.  Do not dismiss his argument out of hand.  

The Democrats have the black vote wrapped up.  This is a fact, and the Dems have been taking advantage of blacks for generations, knowing they get their votes no matter what.

I believe the reason the vast majority of whites will not be voting for a black is that they will not be voting for this particular black, because of his utter incompetence and obvious inability to deal effectively with the economy.    
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Opebo is clearly very intelligent and informed.  Do not discuss his argument out of hand. 

The Democrats have the black vote wrapped up.  This is a fact, and the Dems have been taking advantage of blacks for generations, knowing they get their votes no matter what.

I believe the reason the vast majority of whites will not be voting for a black is that they will not be voting for this particular black, because of his utter incompetence and obvious inability to deal effectively with the economy.     

no, what  you're saying has nothing to do with my argument.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »

'48 and '76 weren't really reelection races since the incumbent Presidents had never been elected in the first place.
They still had records to run on, and not very good ones, especially Ford.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »

Opebo is clearly very intelligent and informed.  Do not discuss his argument out of hand. 

The Democrats have the black vote wrapped up.  This is a fact, and the Dems have been taking advantage of blacks for generations, knowing they get their votes no matter what.

no, what  you're saying has nothing to do with my argument.

Perhaps not, however, I believe that is the reason whites will support Romney, because of his ability to improve the economy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »

A old timer in my office today referred to Obama as "that shine"........opebo might have it right

Thanks Gramps.  Its only on the right that people are willing to look at the white american for what he is.

And how did that 'old timer' vote in 2008?

Obviously McCain, but Polnut, he's coming out to vote for Romney because Obama is a black, not because he loves Romney.

Lots of whites will turnout precisely for that reason.

Now Obama, who has most of the black vote. better find a reason to get them out to vote, because the race haters are coming out, come hell or high water.

This election is all about turnout.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »

...I believe that is the reason whites will support Romney, because of his ability to improve the economy.

No, they don't know anything about that.  They see white face and black face.
milhouse24
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »

Black Unemployment is the highest its ever been, yet Black people still support Obama.  That seems kinda dumb to me. 

I didn't know we were supposed to cancel the election just because Obama should be made "President for life" because he is Black, or Half-Black if you want to be specific. 

King Obama 4 ever!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

For the vast, vast, vast majority of Romney's supporters, their support of Romney over Obama has NOTHING to do with race (I truly wish the converse were true, but it's not and that's largely the reason why this is even a close race given the state of our dismal economy). However, many of these same people who back Romney, for reasons other than race, refuse to openly talk about their support of Romney. They fear accusations like the types found in this thread.

For example, the only reason I am so vocal about my support for Romney on here is because of my history of backing Obama. The only reason I am comfortable speaking with many people I know about my support for Romney is because probably about one in three of my friends are minorities of one type or another, so they know there is not a racist bone in my body. If I lived in a more homogeneous bubble (e.g., if almost all of my friends were white), I would imagine that I would shy away from talking about support for Romney for fear of being accused of subtle racism (or simply fear of somebody suspecting such a terrible thing of me).
Agreed entirely.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »

Black Unemployment is the highest its ever been, yet Black people still support Obama.  That seems kinda dumb to me. 

I didn't know we were supposed to cancel the election just because Obama should be made "President for life" because he is Black, or Half-Black if you want to be specific. 

King Obama 4 ever!

You, Politico, Opebo, and Winfield are all trolls.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I speak the truth, and if that sounds like trolling to you, so be it.

And everything I have read from Politico is factual.  Politico is actually one of the most informed and knowledgeable posters on this entire forum.

If you don't agree with what others post on this forum, that's fine, but that doesn't mean you have to go throwing around accusations of others being trolls.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I speak the truth, and if that sounds like trolling to you, so be it.

And everything I have read from Politico is factual.  Politico is actually one of the most informed and knowledgeable posters on this entire forum.

If you don't agree with what others post on this forum, that's fine, but that doesn't mean you have to go throwing around accusations of others being trolls.

All you do is post propaganda about Mitt Romney, Politico only posts trolling messages about Obama and Obama supporters in ad homenin fashion, opebo used to post far-left anti-capitalist stuff, but now all he posts about is how white people are racist, and milhouse is a combination of you and Politico.

Seriously, your (collective) posts are clogging up this subforum, and it's obnoxious.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »

You've either lost all sense of reason, or you've just turned this into performance art...
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

Closeness would seem to factor in the racism.  I'm not sure there's a lot of people who would just say, "Well sh**, I don't know, guess I'll vote against the n****r."  Seems like that group would have decided, against, sooner.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

Closeness would seem to factor in the racism.  I'm not sure there's a lot of people who would just say, "Well sh**, I don't know, guess I'll vote against the n****r."  Seems like that group would have decided, against, sooner.

Not at all, Glob, not at all.  There are lots of working class whites who will consider voting for a black even though they dislike blacks very strongly.  They did so in 2008 due to the overwhelming wave of revulsion for the GOP because it had just destroyed the economy (and in particular the lives of these self-same racist working class whites). 

These same people flirted heavily with voting for Obama because Romney is such an obviously offensive plutocrat/class-enemy with nothing but disdain for them.  However as soon as they saw him standing there next to The Black, that sealed it for them. 

I can understand that you don't know anything about this particular class of people, but I do, alas for me: this is just the sort who abound in Missouri, particularly in the southern half of the St. Louis metro area.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »

All you do is post propaganda about Mitt Romney, Politico only posts trolling messages about Obama and Obama supporters in ad homenin fashion, opebo used to post far-left anti-capitalist stuff, but now all he posts about is how white people are racist, and milhouse is a combination of you and Politico.

Seriously, your (collective) posts are clogging up this subforum, and it's obnoxious.

What is obnoxious are those hacks who believe what they don't like to hear is trolling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies