How long will Romney's bounce last?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:21:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How long will Romney's bounce last?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How long will Romney's bounce last?  (Read 1451 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »

How long will it last?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »

If Reuters and PPP are any indication, Mitt may have peaked on Friday.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

Until Obama stops being an incompetent idiot and starts doing well in debates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »

October 27, 2019.  Smiley

Seriously, I would not enter panic mode if I were a Democrat just yet.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »

Till the VP debate.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »

I don't think this is a bounce. I think it's a perspective change. Mitt Romney spent 90 minutes making himself look like a credibe and smart president. If you ask me, it's going to stick. People have always wanted an alternative to Obama, except, until now, Romney never looked like he'd be worth it. Suddenly, he's Ronald Reagan.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »

I think this polling change may be more of a course-correct than a bump. He was sagging disproportionately and is now polling where he objectively should be. Well, as objectively as you can in such an obnoxiously unrealistic and dishonest Presidential shet-show of a campaign. Romney should be within one or two points of Obama considering the current climate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »

I don't think this is a bounce. I think it's a perspective change. Mitt Romney spent 90 minutes making himself look like a credibe and smart president. If you ask me, it's going to stick. People have always wanted an alternative to Obama, except, until now, Romney never looked like he'd be worth it. Suddenly, he's Ronald Reagan.

Don't go nuts ... we have no idea what this is yet - anything else is just wishful thinking
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »

Random possibilities in declining or increasing order of preference depending on your side:

1. October 12th, 2012- Biden doesn't make as much of a fool of himself as the audience expects

2. October 16th, 2012- At the town hall: "If you're unemployed, why are you here whining to me?  That's your problem, not mine!"

3. October 2nd, 2013- Syriza wins Greek election, announces independence and printing of Drachmas.  Dow -1500 on the day, -3700 on the week.  Democrats sweep every statewide office in NJ and VA.  

4. April 7th, 2020- Senator Todd Akin clinches the Republican nomination against Vice President Ryan.  His Democratic opponent, the first female nominee, leads him by 56/35 in the polls.

5. August 28th, 2024- Julian Castro emerges from the DNC in Austin with his first polling lead of the year over President Ryan.
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »

Wait another week and we will know the answer to your question. Obama basically negated alot of the good work his campaign did during the summer with a lackluster performance. He needs to come roaring back during the next debate to even this up, but don't be surprised if Mitt Zombie takes the lead before the next debate.

Obama could change the dynamics of this race by asking the voters one simple question:  " do you want to give control of the federal government to the party who's policies brought us to the brink of the 2nd Great Depression?"  Or talk about the 47%...but I am sure he won't.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »

Mhm.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »

You were seemed reasonable until you said that. Seriously bro, you're delusioned if you think he's a Ronald Reagan.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »

A key indicator will be to keep an eye on Obama's approval rating. While he has taken a hit on the ballot test in both Rasmussen and Gallup he remains at 50% with both (both still have pre-debate data). PPP"s WI poll has Obama at 49. If he can stay in the 49/50 range then the race will likely snap back to the Obama +1 range (I'm assuming Romney's bounce will take him to a tie race or even Romney +1 sometime this week)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »

You were seemed reasonable until you said that. Seriously bro, you're delusioned if you think he's a Ronald Reagan.

I don't believe he is, but he certainly used those 90 minutes to make himself look Reaganesque amongst the voters.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »

This
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »

In 2020?  Smiley

Seriously, the VP debate will have very little effect, no matter what.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »

This

Seconded.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Romney will be the Reagan of the 21st Century!

God bless America!
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »

This

Seconded.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Romney will be the Reagan of the 21st Century!

God bless America!

Third this. All of it. A lot of people's eyes are now opened (or slowly opening) to the fact that under Romney America could once again be a beacon of liberty and prosperity. That's a hard shine to wear down in under a month when it didn't happen over the last 8. Reaganesque is a great word to describe him. He's no Reagan, but he's damn close.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 01:34:47 AM »

In 2020?  Smiley

Seriously, the VP debate will have very little effect, no matter what.

I know what you mean. I just say with the outcome that I think would happen plus the slow deflation of the bounce would get us back to where we were a little before the conventions. It depends how big Romney's bounce is though and if I am right.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:57:01 AM »

It lasted 34 hours until the jobs report. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »

I think this polling change may be more of a course-correct than a bump. He was sagging disproportionately and is now polling where he objectively should be. Well, as objectively as you can in such an obnoxiously unrealistic and dishonest Presidential shet-show of a campaign. Romney should be within one or two points of Obama considering the current climate.

Romney did not change. All that he did was to repackage himself and deny earlier positions. He has done that before, and he has typically faded soon afterward.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »

It's probably a dead cat bounce. Obama's approvals are still in the 50% zone.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »

Yeah once the excellent job numbers came out the bounce died.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

The debate-bounce is over, but he could get another one if Obama continues to not show up at the debates.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

The debate-bounce is over, but he could get another one if Obama continues to not show up at the debates.

I would agree with this point, but I don't think we'll see the same Obama in the next debates.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies