Racial composition of polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:09:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Racial composition of polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racial composition of polls  (Read 271 times)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »

I find it a bit odd that many have the electorate at 77% white despite it being 74% in 2008. Yeah, minority turnout may not be as high but that's probably offset by more being eligible.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

Every election since the 70s has shown a decrease in the white vote. This year the Romney campaign are working on the assumption that minority vote, especially Hispanics, wont be as enthusiastic and so it will remain constant at 74%.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »

Everything I've seen, shows 2008 was an outlier.  It isn't possible to have that type of turnout with a failed-unexciting candidate in these economic conditions.  Obama knows this, that's why the campaign has been so extreme in order to turn out the base.     
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

Everything I've seen, shows 2008 was an outlier.  It isn't possible to have that type of turnout with a failed-unexciting candidate in these economic conditions.  Obama knows this, that's why the campaign has been so extreme in order to turn out the base.     

It is possible that fear of the return of the anti-minority party might motivate some turnout, no?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

It is possible that fear of the return of the anti-minority party might motivate some turnout, no?

Ginning up minority racial animosity will pump up the margin (suppress dissenting votes perhaps) more so than motivate the turnout.  Basically, replacing excitement with fear and hate is probably a net loser this year.         
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies