If you'd win 1 Mio. € (1.3 Mio. $) or more in the lottery ... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:28:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you'd win 1 Mio. € (1.3 Mio. $) or more in the lottery ... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: would you continue to work in your current job ?
Yes

No, because I'd start my own company

No, I would "retire" and enjoy life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: If you'd win 1 Mio. € (1.3 Mio. $) or more in the lottery ...  (Read 1250 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: October 08, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

Braggart.

As for myself, obviously I have a fine talent for enjoying life that is almost entirely (and oh so tragically) thwarted by the continual humiliation of paid employment. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »

Option 2 for me. I'd start a bar & grille, and do that for a living.

And you'd be your best customer? Smiley

I think owning the shop would really spoil the enjoyment of the product/service.  I for example would never open a brothel.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »

that's $1.3M USD.  assuming that is after tax I could (with my likely to come inherited wealth) live in leisure for the rest of my life.  I could lock literally $1.2M+ in a trust or mutual fund of sorts and get 4% interest in the lowest risk investments.  that's $48k/yr.

of course less after inflation.

Where are you getting 4% a year returns on low risk investments? 

Yeah that sounds a bit high.. in the US I guess you'd just get about 1.5-2% or so?  I think here you might be able to get 4% for a big amount like that, but then you'd be in baht.  Just checked, looks like more around 3.5%.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »

I'd disperse it among my investments and continue to live life the exact same way I already am. While a extra million dollars would be very nice indeed, it wouldn't be a serious game-changer to my finances.

Do you have real estate in Hong Kong or something?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »

If I won that amount of money 10 years from now, I'd keep working because nowadays, the market is very uncertain. Besides, who doesn't like money? Wink

But good lord man, have you ever worked?  It is horrible.  At least you could spend the 1.3 million and have like a 10 year holiday, and then just work when you're old.

To be fair, when I was young I always imagined I would 'do the necessary' rather than give in to the humiliation of paid employment, but, to my never ending shame I didn't have the guts.  So I can't totally recommend the spend-it-all-and-then-away-in-a-blaze-of-glory strategy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies