Obama has regained most of what he lost in the debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:05:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama has regained most of what he lost in the debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama has regained most of what he lost in the debate  (Read 1230 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

The next debate is crucial for both candidates. Romney needs a great showing to continue his 'comeback' of sorts, and Obama needs a great performance to stop the bleeding. In fact, the election might be decided after this next one. If Obama does well, I think he has this in the bag. If he struggles again, Romney could start running away with things.

The third debate is usually the least watched, so I expect it will have a minimal impact regardless of how it goes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »

I think the format makes it tough for Obama to struggle again. The town hall requires him to walk around so he can't fall asleep!

True. I don't know what to expect really. Romney surprised me with his demeanor last time. In 2004, I knew town halls were Bush's strength because he was generally more likable than Kerry. I don't find Mittens or Obama really likable, so I really can't predict who will win this one. Townhalls are still a change from Obama's strength of delivering a pre-written speech.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

And yet I'm sure this is Friday heavy as well.

Maybe, but I doubt Obama is back to where he was before the debate like it never happened... that's simply wishful thinking.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »

Not completely but Obama's approvals sure haven't taken a hit. The jobs report really gives Obama more ammo for the next debate and took away one of Romney's favorite lines. Nate Silver might be proven correct when he said Romney's base strategy had a ceiling around 48.7%.

I don't think his approvals would take a hit... just his support in the election. His approvals were already under 50%.

And the jobs number, okay, he may bring that out, but Romney can still hit him on the labor force shrinking, the fact that the job numbers have been declining since this summer, the fact that most of those jobs are part-time, our GDP is growing at a measly 1.3%... so they really are not much "ammo." That's the problem - Obama has little to run on.

What he has to do in the debate is call Romney out on some of the inaccurate things he says, which he utterly failed to do in the first debate, and hope it sticks. He really can't run on how great things are, because they aren't, even if it isn't totally his fault that the US is still struggling. He can take credit for our recovery from the great recession, but that may not make much headway with independents. He will have to paint Romney as dishonest and unable to handle the job to win the debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies