SENATE BILL: Omnibus Gun Policy & Safety Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:08:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Omnibus Gun Policy & Safety Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Omnibus Gun Policy & Safety Act (Law'd)  (Read 2879 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: October 21, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »

Alright, so now that I unambiguously understand I am still a Senator and did not get replaced, I’ll begin by saying this bill is full of things I am unwilling to vote for. The Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Act seems like a good law to me - one I would not vote to repeal. Section 2 and the eighth clause of Section 3 are great but should probably be implemented at the regional level of government. Clauses one through seven of the third section are disagreeable for me due to their contents instead of federalist concerns.

I may or may not get around to posting an amendment of my own design. At any rate, it is not at all in the best interests of Midwesterners (or Atlasians in general, for that matter) for this body to so markedly restrict or encase in red tape their right to bear arms. Don’t get me wrong, having at least of a handful of regulations on the matter makes sense, but this bill isn’t what I have in mind.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2012, 12:07:50 AM by Redalgo »

Alright, I’ll put it another way that doesn’t make it sound as though I’m hiding behind regionalism.

I do not believe it should be a crime for any person within Atlasia to possess, transport, or sell firearms provided they are properly licensed to do so and, relative to what you call for in your legislation, there are fewer groups of people I would automatically forbid from obtaining such licensing. I am okay with citizens procuring automatic weapons, semi-automatic weapons, big magazines, lots of modifications, and even buying several firearms over the course of a month.

To be fair, upon rereading the legislation your proposal concerning laser-engraving struck me as being very reasonable. Furthermore, I think background checks are a must - as should be classes and exams concerning gun safety to receive licensing that needs to be renewed every few years. Even better, have the depth of background checks, rigor of the courses, and difficulty of exams become more intense for those who wish to obtain special licensing for deadlier weaponry (e.g. buying the sorts of firearms and modifications the legislation’s present wording would ban).

In the past I’ve shown interest in requiring all firearm, modification, and ammunition sales be reported to the government but am no longer sure of whether in practice it would be a good idea.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies