Boycott Black Ops 2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Boycott Black Ops 2 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boycott Black Ops 2  (Read 1666 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »

Haha, oh wow. Yeah, I probably wasn't going to get it anyway because the last few games have been so similar, but this has really helped me make up my mind.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:03:27 AM »

Oh, I'm buying this game now. I disagree with many of his political/cultural/foreign policy views, but I've always found it ridiculous how much hate he got for essentially serving his country and its interests.

He was the point-man for an illegal executive branch plot which overstepped Congressional authority and grossly violated the separation of powers in our government. He managed the sale of a thousand anti-tank missile launchers to a hostile regime that sponsored (sponsors?) terrorism directed against the United States and its allies. He used the profits from this venture to fund rebel groups who sought to forcibly overthrow the (by that point) democratically elected Nicaraguan government; these groups notoriously killed tons of innocent Nicaraguan civilians (to the extent that the American-provided manuals even offered justifications for doing so). In addition, North used Panamanian dictator Noriega as a go-between when contacting the rebel groups; Noreiga was a brutal dictator in his own right and was also at the time was personally involved in smuggling mountains of cocaine illegally into the US.

To top it all off, he lied to Congress and the American public about all of the above, destroyed evidence that indicated otherwise, and only came clean when it was obvious the scale of his actions had been realized.

I really don't see how any of that can possibly be construed as "serving his country and its interests" in the slightest.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »

All that entire post argued was that what North did was illegal (which is pretty obvious). Not that it didn't serve the interests of the United States of America. The only travesty of the Iran-Contra issue was the scandal itself (and the ensuing fallout). Though I don't really blame the media - the possibility of such horribly undesirable, disastrous leaks is the price we pay for being an open society.

I suppose I left a bit to be inferred, but to be explicit:

• It's not in American interests to show terrorists that their tactics work.
  • It's not in American interests to sell weapons to an openly hostile nation.
  • It's not in American interests to trust erratic autocrats with anything
  • It's not in American interests to support what are essentially death squads in other nations that openly target civilians
  • It's not in American interests to have members of the executive branch openly hide their actions from Congressional oversight
  • It's certainly not in American interests to take actions that are deemed to directly violate international humanitarian law by the ICJ
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Surely you've been posting on this forum long enough to know you're being trolled? And by a presidential-year troll no less. Or do you enjoy this? Tongue

Not quite enjoyment, per se Tongue this mod-board post of mine from a while back pretty much sums up my attitude here:

When I'm frustrated about something in my life that I can't change, I like to vent by spend an excessive amount of time owning someone on the Internet; tonight it was a broken microwave that led to an hour of research debunking Bushie. Once, when my car broke down and I was stranded for a day at my parents house, I spent several hours poring over Jobs Reports and demographics data to wage war against CARLHAYDEN on the Econ board. It's a very effective form of stress relief.

Although I wouldn't really call this owning, because
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies