Obama supposedly left debate thinking he won. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:49:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama supposedly left debate thinking he won. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama supposedly left debate thinking he won.  (Read 2897 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: October 09, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

Are you seriously suggesting that the fact that his dad was a politician was the sole reason Bane Capital, and Mitt Romney made serious money? The evidence strongly suggests to me that Romney had a talent for stock speculation/finance. Whether that a plus, a negative or neutral in his race is separate question.

No, he got all his money because his father was rich, BS.  That is alwys why people get rich.

Mitt was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

Precisely!  He probably thinks he's a good debater or something now, when really he just got lucky to have the resources to keep running, election after election, untill he finally got a black man as an opponent.  

Mitt didn't keep a dime of inheritance.  The only 'privilege' he's had in his life is going to prestigious Universities -- Something he has in common with Obama.  Just except merit for what it is, don't try to pretend it doesn't exist.    
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »

Mitt didn't keep a dime of inheritance.  The only 'privilege' he's had in his life is going to prestigious Universities -- Something he has in common with Obama.  Just except merit for what it is, don't try to pretend it doesn't exist.    

It its a figment of your neoliberal delusion, AmNat.  As far as not 'keeping a dime of inheritance' - you'll believe anything apparently!

Now that I think about it I'm guessing that he probably got a tax deduction for giving it all away to charity/non-profit institutions.  I won't hold that against him.

As far as my imagination, he didn't need any money when his dad passed, so why wouldn't he give it away like he did?        

Everything basically ended up in the George W. Romney Institute of Public Management at BYU.  

The lefty politifact can't/won't even dispute this:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/27/reince-priebus/republican-national-committee-chair-reince-priebus/

The only 'privilege' he's had in his life is going to prestigious Universities --

Even if this were true, it would be an utterly laughable defense of both the man and the ostensibly virtuous meritocracy that has produced him.
What rigged deck theory are you pushing?  Marxist class system? 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2012, 03:57:16 PM by AmericanNation »

As far as my imagination, he didn't need any money when his dad passed, so why wouldn't he give it away like he did?

Because he obviously got the vast bulk of it transferred to him before his father died.  Don't you nkow how the rich operate, An?   Most of their money isn't even in the USA, its totally hidden.  This it the way with the rich.      

I know all about it.  Still, someone worth hundreds of millions in his peak earning years would have little reason to pocket something like a 10 million dollar inheritance.  Especially considering the tax consequences, a donation to a school bearing your father's name looks much more attractive than cutting a 5 to 7 million dollar check to the treasury department.

The only 'privilege' he's had in his life is going to prestigious Universities --

Even if this were true, it would be an utterly laughable defense of both the man and the ostensibly virtuous meritocracy that has produced him.
What rigged deck theory are you pushing?  Marxist class system?  

Dude, it is obvious that anyone who could attend an Ivy League institution is a member of a privileged elite, and that 'merit' has nothing to do with their privilege.

And by the way, obviously the marxist class system analysis is correct, and your neoliberal fantasy is nothing but a subterfuge for a hideous slavery.

My "hideous slavery" is far less hideous than Marxist slavery/tyranny.  Just ask my great-grand parents or Cuban refugees.  Also the least "hideous" and least "slave-ish" system shouldn't be called hideous slavery at all even if some vague illusion exists.    
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

...Obama:
1) spoke way looooooonger
2) got propped up by the moderator
3) lost every point on logic AND debate scoring
4) instinctively knew he should abandon his campaign "lines" because Romney was systematically destroying them. 
5) showed himself to be extremely shallow and or dishonest with the 5 trillion nonsense repeated 3 times. 

etc.

...why wouldn't he think he won? LOL   
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »

Obama was born in dugout and thinks he's Babe Ruth.

What the hell does this even mean? Seriously.

It means that Obama has (or had) a highly inflated view of his own abilities.

That was frankly about as inarticulate and incomprehensible a "burn" I've ever heard.

It was in response to another:

Mitt was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

Obama was born in dugout and thinks he's Babe Ruth.

You chose not to quote it in full.

The first analogy made sense regardless of whether one agrees with it or not. Its accompanying presence or absence makes your retort no less indecipherable.

I think most folks understood it in that context. 
LOL at this.  It wasn't well crafted yet easily comprehensible.

JJ is more right because Badger is overreaching with the "incomprehensible" line of crap.  ...I wanted to call it a tie, but I'm to objective to allow my feelings to influence my decisions.   
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »

The overwhelming vast majority of people who are born in families with a networth of around 1-5 million or so do not accumulate $250 million. Regardless of your snide political opinions - both Romney and Obama are remarkable men.

George Romney was worth more than $5 million in today's dollars.
I honestly have no idea what he was worth.  He took $1 for his salary when he took over a struggling AMC
Mitt was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, there is no denying that. actually there is, neither of us know the exact experience of his childhood.  George was probably tougher  than my working class dad, which completely unravels your argument.  Also, my connections from caddying at the country club made me better 'connected' than the kids who were members.
He had significant advantages that President Obama and 98% of  all Americans did not.
Like what? Nobody bought a house for Mitt Romney, Tony Resko did for Obama = significant advantage Obama
I don't care if Mitt donated all his inheritance to BYU; he had already gotten the leg-up due to his father's connections how? Mitt's dad made companies Mitt invested in grow magically? George had some unknown political power in Massachusetts years after he left politics? well before he died. Mitt had ran Bain Capital for 10 years before his father's death.  You must be talking about the occasional dinner George would treat Mitt's young family to

George Romney also built his wealth honorably, by being the President of a company that produced a product of value for customers and hired several hundred thousand middle class workers. Mitt Romney, on the other hand, built his wealth through Wall-Street overleveraging that built value for the select few, while leaving desolate communities to pick up the tab.
Right, George was honorable by running (and saving) a company that made a product and
Mitt wasn't honorable by running  (and saving) and investing in many companies that made many products, wait.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies