UK jails another for saying offensive things on the internet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:38:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK jails another for saying offensive things on the internet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: UK jails another for saying offensive things on the internet  (Read 2700 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »

Sure. Why not?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »

I've made a mistake. It should be: "So freedom of speech is valid only if no one threatens you over it?"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »

If you like.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »

So you do think that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »

Possibly.
Link
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

A jail sentence was possibly an over-reaction though.

Oh, maybe you didn't see this happened in the UK.  It's very fair for the UK.  There are all kinds of things you can get arrested for over there...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »

I am horrified that there are people on this forum that think a jail sentence or formal punishment for non-threatening/non-libelous speech is okay.  I fear our generation will be the first since the dark ages to inherit a world less free than the way it was found.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 03:34:58 PM by shua, gm »

I understand that shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre is regarded as an unpopular form of speech.
Holmes made that analogy in 1919 to uphold imprisonment on the basis of anti-conscription speech. Thankfully, that decision has been overturned.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 05:39:52 AM »

link

Is this the name of the crime?
Is their a difference between saying something on the street and writing it on the internet?
Of course. Legally, I think everywhere in the world that has laws on the issue, writing something on the internet is much more akin to publishing a book.

Which is a problem since that's not remotely how people actually behave, but there you are. (Of course it still couldn't lead to any kind of sentence in the US, and not to this kind of sentence in this kind of case in Germany; that much is classic British Populist Nannystatism.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 05:55:41 AM »

Being somewhat more serious now, there is a certain sort of Magistrate that loves handing down this type of sentence. You saw it over the riots last year as well, of course.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »

link

Is this the name of the crime?
Is their a difference between saying something on the street and writing it on the internet?
Of course. Legally, I think everywhere in the world that has laws on the issue, writing something on the internet is much more akin to publishing a book.

Which is a problem since that's not remotely how people actually behave, but there you are. (Of course it still couldn't lead to any kind of sentence in the US, and not to this kind of sentence in this kind of case in Germany; that much is classic British Populist Nannystatism.)

What do people get for swastikas in Germany?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »

Short answer: Nothing.

Long answer: The "showing of the ensigns of an organization hostile to the Constitution" may be punished with a fine or up to three years imprisonment. Enforcement is highly variable - if the magistrate want to nab someone they consider an enemy, and that person is for once a neonazi rather than an "Autonomer", this paragraph is an excellent tool if he's dumb enough to do that. Carry an original design nazi flag at a nazi march with a previous criminal record related to your politics, and you may very well look at six or nine months unprobated. Usually though, no one gives a f**k.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51:18 AM »

Here's another one I feel a bit uneasy about.  Stupid and offensive, yes, but 8 months in jail?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »

Here's another one I feel a bit uneasy about.  Stupid and offensive, yes, but 8 months in jail?

4 months of that was for breaching of a suspended sentence for cannabis possession.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »

4 months of that was for breaching of a suspended sentence for cannabis possession.

Ah much better, only 4 months for the "offensive behavior" then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »

disgusting
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2012, 09:38:41 AM by bore »

This isn't a good decision at all, but what makes the story really interesting is he's from my mum's home town, whose only other claim to fame is being the home of Danny Boyle.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »

This isn't a good decision at all, but what makes the story really interesting is he's from my mum's home town, whose only other claim to fame is being the hoe of Danny Boyle.

That's an awful thing to say about your mother.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »

This isn't a good decision at all, but what makes the story really interesting is he's from my mum's home town, whose only other claim to fame is being the hoe of Danny Boyle.

His mum's a gardening tool?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

His mum's a gardening tool?
A total tool to Danny Boyle.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 05:01:40 AM »

It's actually an 8 month sentence for the offensive behavior; the other 4 month charge is concurrent.

While the sentence is a bit harsh, I'm pretty sure something like this would be prosecuted similarly in the United States. I'd argue wearing and publicly displaying a shirt that reads "One Less Pig, Perfect Justice" and "Kill A Cop For Fun," immediately after two local cops were killed in the line of duty, would quite obviously be "fighting words" which aren't Constitutionally protected. Under Georgia law it'd count as "disorderly conduct" which carries a maximum sentence of a year in county jail.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 05:32:14 AM »

It's actually an 8 month sentence for the offensive behavior; the other 4 month charge is concurrent.

While the sentence is a bit harsh, I'm pretty sure something like this would be prosecuted similarly in the United States. I'd argue wearing and publicly displaying a shirt that reads "One Less Pig, Perfect Justice" and "Kill A Cop For Fun," immediately after two local cops were killed in the line of duty, would quite obviously be "fighting words" which aren't Constitutionally protected. Under Georgia law it'd count as "disorderly conduct" which carries a maximum sentence of a year in county jail.
He didn't call for murder, how often does this need to be repeated?
danny
Israel

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:11 AM »

He didn't call for murder, how often does this need to be repeated?

"Kill A Cop For Fun" can certainly be seen as calling for murder.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2012, 06:13:22 AM by Bacon King »

Calling for murder would be incitement, not fighting words Smiley Related, but distinct, concepts.

"fighting words" is basically speech that's so blatantly hateful, obscene, and directed that it's something an average person would understand that it's very liable to cause a spontaneous breach of the peace (e.g., saying something when you shouldn't be surprised if someone punched you for saying it). In Georgia, it used to be a valid defense for simple battery, if the victim had directed "fighting words" at the aggresor immediately prior to the incident. IIRC it's still used in consideration as a significant mitigating factor. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 07:05:08 AM »

Ah, right. Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies