United States Senate Redistricting 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:52:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  United States Senate Redistricting 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United States Senate Redistricting 2012  (Read 11543 times)
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »

Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns, critiques or praises? 
I like it...it looks awfully similar to my "Alternate Map" scenario, only you're realigning the Senate and not the Electoral College.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »

I like it...it looks awfully similar to my "Alternate Map" scenario, only you're realigning the Senate and not the Electoral College.

I should actually give you some credit for his actually seeing the light of day. I was almost done with this in May and I got bored with it before I finished it. When I saw your "Alternative Map" scenario it gave me the inspiration to bring my project back and finish it. So thank you!
One question...do your Senate districts follow county lines? Just wondering!
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »

I should actually give you some credit for his actually seeing the light of day. I was almost done with this in May and I got bored with it before I finished it. When I saw your "Alternative Map" scenario it gave me the inspiration to bring my project back and finish it. So thank you!
One question...do your Senate districts follow county lines? Just wondering!

I try to, but they don't always. The best example would be region 4 where I cut through 4 counties in Massachusetts. The goal in that region was to get most of the cities in Central New England into one region. Hope that makes sense. 
Gotcha...I guess it would also be difficult to put Los Angeles County into one district also, as, after all, there are enough people in Los Angeles County for roughly three districts.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

Region 7: W.E.D. Du Bois/Bronx/Mouth of the Hudson River
&
Region 8: Alexander Hamilton/Manhattan/Upper New York Bay 

State Percentage: NY – 61.2%/NJ – 38.8%
Three Largest Cities: 1) New York City, NY 2) Newark, NJ 3) Jersey City, NJ
Obama: 86.5% 
McCain: 13.5%
Democratic Average: 83.6%
Republican Average: 16.4%
Obama Swing: 2.9%
PVI: D+35.5
White Percentage: 17.6% (Minority Majority Region)
Black Percentage: 28.8%
Hispanic Percentage: 45.2% (Hispanic Plurality)   
Asian Percentage: 6.3% 
Native American Percentage: 0.2%
Other Percentage: 1.9%
Current Senators: Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)

State Percentage: NY – 95.4%/NJ – 4.6%   
Three Largest Cities: 1) New York City, NY 2) Jersey City, NJ 3) Bayonne, NJ
Obama: 70.4%
McCain: 29.6%
Democratic Average: 70.2%
Republican Average: 29.8% 
Obama Swing: 0.2%
PVI: D+20
White Percentage: 64.3%
Black Percentage: 5.3%
Hispanic Percentage: 14.6%
Asian Percentage: 13.9%
Native American Percentage: 0.1%
Other Percentage: 1.8%
Current Senators: Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Chuck Schumer (D-NY)

Here is a better view of how these two districts look:
Red is Region 7 and Purple is Region 8
Interesting that you're throwing the one Republican part of the immediate New York City metropolitan area, Staten Island, in with reliably-Democrat Manhattan. I think Staten Island would be a better fit with the Jersey Shore, which is more Republican, but that's just me.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:57 AM »

The goal for the New York City regions were to create 2 minority majority districts and 1 white district comprised of just the immediate New York City area. I was trying to keep the city together as much as possible. I was able to make a minority-majority district in just Brooklyn and Queens and another on with the Bronx, Harlem, Newark and other parts of New Jersey. The one white district got the rest of the area (Lower Manhattan, Staten Island, the rest of Brooklyn, the rest of Queens and a sliver of New Jersey).  
Understood...and I take it that blue district will stretch to include most of Long Island.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Districts 10-100? (not necessarily close-ups, just a map to begin with...although certainly closeups of otherwise-microscopic districts would be a help)
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

I take it that "red" district to the East of 13 is next? Does that include Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, or were they in District 11?
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »

The Red district with be the 4th next. I still have to do the Jersey Shore, Philadelphia and the Philadelphia suburbs before that district. Yeah it inclues Scranton/Wilkes-Barre along with Reading, Lebanon, Harrisburg, Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. Yet that will all have to come tomorrow as I need to hit the hey. 
Gotcha...wasn't familiar with that area of Eastern Pennsylvania, as much as I've driven through it, to know whether Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and the Lehigh Valley was in the Pocono/Skyland district or the red district that hasn't been named yet.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »

I wonder who'd be running in District 34, my home district...Robert Wexler against Allen West? Debbie Wasserman-Schultz against West? (god, the latter would be awfully ironic, especially considering the comments West has made about Wasserman-Schultz)
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »

Are there any other McCain districts (or even CPVI R-leaning districts) besides District 80 (Orange County) that are minority-majority?
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »

bump in case Mr. Gass3268 has forgotten about it...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies