The West Freaking Wing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The West Freaking Wing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The West Freaking Wing  (Read 4083 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2012, 12:06:58 PM by The Lord Protector »

Disclaimer: Never Say Die gave the story some base, but I feel it'd be better to jump futher in time and explain past developments via flashbacks, rather than continue the old thread, which I'm not up to

January 20, 1993
Capitol's East Portico, Washington, D.C.
Around 11.50 AM

Two journalist, a man and a woman, were watching the podium by binoculars.
Man: Wow, Joanne, just look at her. She look... um...
Woman: Like during her own funeral.
Man: Tell me about.
They were referring, of course, to Caroline Shays from the Great State of Connecticut, the 46th and outgoing President of the United States. For her it was perhaps the most depressing moment in life, since she failed to get elected on her own right, only narrowly avoiding beating Herbert Hoover's dubious honor of the worst defeat for an incumbent, but it was enough to wash away all the former glory of being the first woman in the Oval, even if by accident.
Woman: She got what she deserved.
She didn't add that Mrs. Shays not only lost a women vote, not unusual for a Republican, but got beaten in her home state by a landslide.
The defeated President was the only member of the still governing, for next nine minutes, administration the two gave any attention. It was far more interesting to observe those, who in a matter of moments will replace them for the next four years.
Woman: This man is so bleak that you just can't get more bleak.
She was talking about Martin Price, the next White House Chief of Staff, who was famous, or infamous if you like, by having no external characteristic whatsoever. If not for standing on this podium today, no one would notice him. But the look was deceiving. Price, known among friends as Marty, was a great bureaucrat. Unlike many of his predecessors, he didn't have ambitions to push his own agenda or influence politics and he was content about it.
Man: Lol, Voltage Larry looks so bored.
Indeed, Lawrence Wargrave was looking like he totally didn't care, which was equally deceiving. The bastard was probably carefully watching everyone. Wargrave was informally considered to be the President-elect, his former Yale Law classmate, "evil twin" and, as the new Senior Counselor, he'll certainly perform the political part of the Chief of Staff's portfolio.
Woman: Barry looks excited.
Indeed, Barack Obama, the new White House Deputy Chief of Staff and, in some way, counterweight to Wargrave's "evilness" in the team, appeared to care a lot about the ceremony.
Man: Jesus H. Christ... look at Milo over there, he's so stoned.
Milo Bielszowski, who used to be a Professor of Political Sciences at the University of Chicago before being kicked out for sharing weeds with his students, will enjoy a title of Special Assistant to the President within six minutes and inside Washington already knew he won't have any special portfolio, except of being around, which was actually a very important task. He and the President-elect liked to talk about everything, coming up with the wildest ideas possible in the process. And many of these ideas were later becoming a political reality. He is stimulating me, the President-elect explained once.
Woman: Here we go, the Cajun Suprise.
The Vice President-elect entered the podium: a drop-dead gorgeous 42-years old former Representative from Louisiana, tapped for the ticket in result of the President-elect Southern Strategy. Loretta Chiasson it is.
Man: Look at Scott, that is just sad.
Scott Westman, whose political career appeared to be over after 1988 received a suprising reprieve in form of the office of Secretary of the Interior. The former flamboyant Senator wasn't resembling his former "tanned Bobby Kennedy" self anymore.
Woman: God, Thad could really use a brush.
Congressman Thad O'Connor, Chairman of the House Committee on Veteran's Affairs, and one of the President-elect's oldest and closes friend, apparently forgot to take care of his hair on this historical day.
Man: Poor Mandy, she's look far better without this expression.
Mandy Moskowitz, the new White House Press Secretary, would normally be considered a classical Southern Belle, if not for a frequent smirk.
Woman: Oh, that little s**t too.
Bucephalus "Buck" Combs, AKA "that little s**t" was looking like a stereotypical redneck and proudly considered himself one. While Wargrave was a master evil twin, he was a political thug, every administration needs.
Man: And who's this...
Woman: NSA.
Rear Admiral (Upper Half) Harvey Krantz was happy to wear his ceremonial cap, considering the cold and the simple fact he was bald like a moon. He was also one of the President-elects's oldest associates, as the two meet in Vietnam in one seal team and kept in touch when one went to politics, and other continued an old career, this time in the intelligence business.
Man: OK, here we go...
Demetrius Green, the first Black United States Senator from Alabama since Reconstruction, took the microphone.
Green: It is my great privilege to introduce the Chief Justice of the United States, who will administer the oath of office to the President-elect. Will you all please stand.
Chief Justice: Governor, are you ready to take the oath?
President-elect: Yes, Mr. Chief Justice.
Chief Justice: Please raise left hand, place your right hand on the Constitution and repeat after me: I, Jefferson John C. Breckinridge Dent, IV, do solemnly sweat that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States...
Asshole...
President-elect: I, Jefferson Dent, do solemnly swear...  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »

Later that day
Senior Staff meeting

Barack: Can I just say this is a bad idea?
Dent: I don't know to what exactly you're refereeing to, but I'm sure you're wrong.
Barack: This buffoon should be rooting in jail and you're making him a freaking Attorney General?
Dent: Last time I checked I can do it.
Barack: Sir, he put you in prison.
Dent: I think I was there.
Barack: This is bulls**t.
Price: Barack!
Dent: Easy, Marty, we're all adults, let's say so.
Barack: This is literally the last man who should be Attorney General.
Dent: No, Bull Connor would be worse.
Barack: Mr. President, may I ask why?
Dent: Well, after it ended I could have him hanged but instead I decided to spare his ass. Now, his ass belongs to me and I need my own Beria. I'd say my own Vishinsky, but you kids don't get cool references. He'll be the most obedient AG ever... You look unhappy, Mandy.
Mandy: Mr. President, how am I supposed to spin this?
Dent: Let's see... national reconciliation? America is a Christian nation and a man who repented his sins... you know.
Mandy: Sometimes I wonder why do you even need a Press Secretary.
Dent: Because I'd troll the press to death. What's next?
Price: The NSA team, Secretary Bunker, Admiral Krantz, Admiral Alexander and General North in thirty minutes. And you have Senator Green and Congressman O'Connor waiting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2012, 12:07:33 PM by The Lord Protector »

Butler: Can I offer you something to drink, gentlemen?
Green: I'd like a cup of coffee.
O'Connor: Yeah, can I get a Miller Lite?
The Butler gave him a look full of disgust.
Butler: Right away... sir.
Two years ago, Demetrius Green was getting himself ready too retire, after serving a good amount of years in the Alabama State Senate, where he represented Macon County and held a distinction of being one of the very first Black officeholders in the state. Then came an offer that changed his plans, as an old friend, whom he knew since the turbulent days of the Civil Rights movement, had to relinquish his Senate seat in order to become Governor and, thus, had to appoint a replacement.
The 1992 election produces a bizarre results in Alabama, as Republicans suffered their worst defeat in the South since ancient days of Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Dent carried his home state with 70% of the vote. Yet, the Senate election was so close that there was no projection until two days after, as a lot of people were not comfortable with electing a Black man to the statewide office. Without Dent's coattails, Green would be defeated, but now he had six years to go on his own.
The career of Thad O'Connor also took an unexpected tour. A quintessential Mainer decided to stay in Alabama after leaving Dent's office and nicely absorbed into Free Soil circles, both due to his ties as well as New England Republicanism. Elected to the House from state's northernmost district, full of former old style Republicans that, unlike their peers in East Tennessee, did not follow the new party, in 1979.
O'Connor: Mr. President.
Dent: You know, I still have a f**king name, Thad.
O'Connor: (chuckling) Yeah.
Dent: Here is the man who could have become the Vice President but turned me down. He didn't even bother to cover his tracks with usual "I'm up for reelection" talk, since we had this election in a bag. It's just his modesty that is concerning me.
O'Connor: Loretta was a better candidate anyway.
Dent: Dent/O'Connor, that'd be something great, but he's like Clark Clifford, "No, Mr. President, I'm here for you but I don't want the job".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:56:47 AM »

Carolyn Murphy Shays

Born January 16, 1944 in Colebrook, Connecticut. Before entering politics she worked as an English teacher in her local high school. Her career started with election to the town council in 1974, where she served until winning a seat in the county council four years later.

Elected in 1984 to the United States House of Representatives from Connecticut's 5th district, she was described as "fiscally conservative, socially moderate". Re-elected in 1986.

After death of the 1988 Republican presidential nominee Benson Rockefeller in a plane crash, his vice presidential candidate, former Governor John Peterson of Virginia took the nod and, in a suprising move, tapped Representative Shays for his running-mate. In November, Peterson/Shays ticket won an extremely narrow election over Democrats Jefferson Dent and Scott Westman.

Inaugurated as the nation's 45th and first female Vice President on January 20, 1989, Shays served less than eight months. On October 18 President Peterson, who was about to be impeached by the House for failing to carry out his duties, died on heart attack.

Although initially very popular, due to historical nature of her accession and sympathy factors, President Shays' popularity quickly eroded due to worsening economy and highly controversial foreign policy, which included multiple interventions in other nation's affairs under "idealistic doctrine" and one big blunder: a brief intervention in the Iraqi-Kuwaiti war.

Nominated for a full term in 1992, Shays and her Vice President, former Utah Governor Norman H. Bangerter, were defeated by Democrats Dent and Loretta LeBlanc in a 41-58 landslide.

Married since 1963 to Doug Shays, her former high school sweetheart. The couple have three children.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:10:42 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2012, 12:08:10 PM by The Lord Protector »

Loretta Corinne Claiborne Chiasson

Born July 9, 1950 in Baton Rogue, Louisiana. Her father, Claiborne Chiasson, was a longtime State Senator. The eldest of seven children, Loretta graduated from Georgetown University (economics) and won a seat in the state House of Representatives at age of 24, largely due to her family's influence. Four years later, in 1978, she moved to the United States House of Representatives, sitting from Louisiana's 8th district. A member of the Ways and Means Committee.

Although a moderate-to-conservative Democrat, she was a strong supporter of Jefferson Dent, for whom she campaigned during a heated 1992 primary battle against "southern centrist" candidate Bill Clinton. As Dent clinched the nomination, she was chosen to be his running-mate, after Governor failed to convince his first choice, Congressman Thad O'Connor, to join the ticket. Nevertheless, her selection was an important part of both Dent's "Southern Strategy" and a symbol of reconciliation between Dent faction and the Blue Dogs.

Married to attorney Brad Jenkins since 1983. Two adopted children.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:51 AM »

Lawrence Sidney Wargrave

Born November 1, 1937 in Jacksonville, Florida. During studies at the Yale Law School he was a classmate of Jefferson Dent and the two remains friend and, perhaps more importantly, associates ever since. After graduating, he joined his father's law firm, where he worked before being appointed as a Duval County Circuit Court Judge by Governor Reubin Askew in 1976.

As a judge, he held rather liberal record with exception of death penalty cases, which earned him a nickname "Voltage Larry". He turned down offer of federal judgeship from President Carter in 1979, preferring to stay out of limelight. He was an unofficial Democratic Party boss in Jacksonville area during that time.

Retiring from the bench in 1985, he became a partner in a prominent D.C. law firm. A leading Democratic machine man, he is one of the most feared and most effective men in Washington.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:04 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2012, 12:08:44 PM by The Lord Protector »

Presidents of the United States

38th: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI), 1974-1977
39th: James E. Carter, Jr. (D-GA), 1977-1981
40th: Beauregard X. D'Israeli (R-WY), 1981
41st: Jesse A. Helms (R-NC), 1981-1982
42nd: C. Dewey Marland (M-IN), 1982-1984
43rd: Lafayette B. Collins (M-VT), 1984-1985
44th: Mark O. Hatfield (U-OR), 1985-1989
45th: John Peterson (R-VA), 1989
46th: Carolyn M. Shays (R-CT), 1989-1993
47th: Jefferson J. C. B. Dent, IV (D-AL), 1993-present

40th: Deposed
41st: Succeeded; stepped down
42nd: First military President; dies in a chopper crash
43rd: Second military President; oversaw a transition to the Democratic government
44th: Elected under Unity banner with support of anti-regime Democrats and Republicans coallition; did not seek a second term as per agreement
45th: Dies in office
46th: Succceded, defeated for reelection

Vice Presidents of the United States

40th: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI), 1973-1974
41st: George H. W. Bush (R-TX), 1975-1977
42nd: Jefferson J. C. B. Dent, IV (D-AL), 1977-1981
43rd: Jesse A. Helms (R-NC), 1981
44th: Lafayette B. Collins (M-VT), 1982-1984
45th: Frederick J. Hartman (M-AR), 1984-1985
46th: Ricardo Barnes (U-NV), 1985-1989
47th: Carolyn M. Shays (R-CT), 1989
48th: Norman H. Bangerter (R-UT), 1990-1993
49th: Loretta C. C. Chiasson (D-LA), 1993-present

40th: Nominated under 25th Amendment; became President
41st: Nominated under 25th Amendment, lost reelection
42nd: Dropped from the ticket
43rd: Became President
44th: De facto, as position remained oficially vacant; became President
45th: De facto, as position remained oficially vacant
46th: Former Democratic Governor of Nevada, elected under Unity banner with support of anti-regime Democrats and Republicans coallition; did not seek a second term as per agreement
47th: Became President
48th: Nominated under 25th Amendment, lost reelection
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

Military Dictatorship in the United States, 1981-1985
From wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overview

Although narrowly elected President over incumbent Jimmy Carter in 1980, Beauregard D'Israeli was soon confronted with a lack of political base, since his libertarian-leaning positions on social issues angered the Republican base, as well as isolationist views on foreign affairs alienated powerful hawks. With Democrats being in disarray following not only losing the Presidency, but also a majority in both houses, for time being right dominated political scene.

President D'Israeli spent his first months in office putting together an agenda, which included abandoning most of the overseas military bases and withdrawal from the NATO. With Cold War returning to escalation in last phase of Carter's administration, D'Israeli plans meet with a considerable concern among conservatives, as well as the military...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »

The Silent Coup

On September 9, 1981 Vice President Jesse Helms, who was picked by D'Israeli in order to rally the base but soon was removed from his inner circle, due to irreconcilable political differences, meet secretly with General C. Dewey Marland, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

Three days later, on September 11, the nation was shocked with an announcement that President D'Israeli resigned due to "health reasons". In reality, the White House has been surrounded with the Marines and General Marland forced the President to resign at gunpoint. D'Israeli was then put under a "medical custody" and died a week later while institutionalized, officially from a "poorly performed autoerotic asphyxiation"...

(Later events were outlined in the Never Say Die!)

Order 20

With the Congress being forcibly out of session, the National Defense Council issued the "Order 20", which would serve as a legal, albeit unconstitutional, basis for the new military government. The Council, consisting six pro-regime Representatives as well as four Senators (with Henry M. Jackson as the Chairman), was created to "act as a whole Congress". On March 20, 1982 President Helms resigned and was succeeded by General Marland himself after The Council "amended" the Presidential Succession Act. The Vice Presidency was to formally remain vacant, though Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (Marland retained his previous post in addition to the Presidency) would fulfill all the constitutional duties of the office, which task fallen to Admiral Lafayette B. Collins.

Collins Accession and Transformation

Marland's government, functioning on a permanent martial law, quickly started to face a growing opposition, with Senator Jefferson Dent, who was incarcerated on corruption charges, being a symbolic leader of the disconnected.

On February 2, 1984 Marine One carrying President Marland crashed in the Catoctin Mountain due to bad weather. Admiral Collins immediately assumed the office and now it was him who faced the crisis.

Admiral Collins was described as a pragmatist, who wasn't especially happy about an idea of the military taking direct control, but nevertheless followed his superior. In order to ease tensions, as some part of the country remained outside of the government control, he called Congress back to session, releasing anti-regime members from custody, although Senators Dent and Westman remained in federal prison. As the Congress, dominated by anti-regime Republican and Democrats, refused to cooperate, Collins ordered release of Dent on May 3 and allowed him to take back his seat.

In order to break the stealmate, Collins invited prominent anti-regime Senators and Congressmen, led by Dent and Mark Hatfield, to a series of confidential talks at Camp Davis, which would be later known as either "Second Camp David Agreement" or "American Round Table".

After difficult negotiations, Collins agreed to step down in 1985 in favor of a civilian President and to restore the democratic order in return for immunity from persecution for him and his circle, remaining as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs for two more years and public rejection of the isolationism by opposition.

1984 election and return to the civilian government

With the country in disarray, the 1984 election had much more in common with early presidential elections, than any modern campaign. The opposition in Congress basically had to pick a candidate and state legislatures to select electors.

Senator Dent, due to his role before and after Camp David agreement, was considered a natural choice, but he declined. Although statistically more Democrats than Republicans opposed the regime, the Republicans were outnumbering Democrats in Congress. Dent proposed Mark Hatfield, a moderate, as a common nominee. It was agreed that Hatfield will run with a Democrat as his running mate as the "Unity" candidate and the two will step down after one term. The Vice Presidential nomination went to former Governor Ricardo Barnes of Nevada.

On November 6 legislatures all across the country meet to select presidential electors. Three weeks later Mark Hatfield and Ricardo Barnes were elected with 529 votes against 9 absentions.

Reconstruction Period

With Hatfield as President, the former opposition, which now constituted a large majority of Congress, continued it's coalition over Unity banner. Dent became Senate Majority Leader while Republican Bob Michel was serving as the Speaker of the House (Jim Wright became a Majority Leader).

Until 1986 election, the Unity government was focusing on restoration of the democracy and repairing damages sustained during the military period. After accomplishing most of their goals, the two parties returned to opposing each other, which President Hatfield called a "return to normalcy". By 1987, former supporters of the regime were essentially purged from both parties.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »

1988 presidential election

Former Governor John Peterson of Virginia/Representative Carolyn M. Shays of Connecticut (Republican): 270 electoral votes, 48.3% of the popular vote
Senate Majority Leader Jefferson J. C. B. Dent, IV of Alabama/Senator Scott W. Westman of Montana (Democratic): 268 electoral votes, 48.1% of the popular vote
Others: 3.6% of the popular vote
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Territorial Self-Determination Act of 1985

The Territorial Self-Determination Act of 1985 was a piece of legislation that abolished the unincorporated territories of the United States, mandating that voters of each of the unincorporated and trust territories will determine whether it should become an independent country, a state or "associate state" (full domestic sovereignty with the U.S. remaining responsible for foreign and defense affairs).

Introduced by the Senate Majority Leader Jefferson Dent on May 8, 1985, it was passed by both chambers of the Congress on July 5 and signed into law by President Mark Hatfield two days later.

The act mandated that each territory will hold a vote on November 6, 1988, concurrently with the presidential election in mainland.

Territories in Question

Unincorporated territories:

American Samoa
Guam
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands

Trust territories:

Northern Mariana Islands
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Palau

Results

On November 6, the voters of Puerto Rico and Palau choose an independence, effectively January 1, 1990.

American Samoa choose an association.

The Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands choose statehood.

Marshall Islands and Micronesia were combined into the State of Micronesia and admitted to the Union on April 8, 1989 (51st).

The Northern Mariana Islands and Guam were combined into the State of Mariana and admitted to the Union on December 19, 1989 (52nd).

The U.S. Virgin Islands were admitted as the State of Virgin Islands on February 9, 1990 (53rd).

Controversy

A small population of the Virgin Islands, which, due to geographic and social reasons could not be combined, as Micronesia and Mariana, with other former territory, was a subject of controversy. Some people questioned whether a territory with below 100,000 resident is large enough to be a state and whather should be entitled to a congressional representation.

After objections made by a few members of Congress against seating Virgin Islands' delegates, the issue went before the Supreme Court which, in a landmark 1991 decision (Symms v. Farrelly) ruled that there is no minimal level of population to admit a new state.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2012, 12:09:04 PM by The Lord Protector »

1992 presidential election:

Governor Jefferson Dent of Alabama/Representative Loretta Chiasson of Louisiana (D): 510 electoral votes, 58% of the popular vote
President Carolyn M. Shays of Connecticut/Vice President Norman H. Bangerter of Utah (R): 37 electoral votes, 41.5% of the popular vote
Others: 0.5% of the popular vote
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »

Capital punishment by the United States federal government

The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applied the death penalty for certain crimes (...)

Military Government

The federal death penalty was restored on June 5, 1982 under the military government. On that day, President Marland signed Order 45 that created a number of capital offences, including:

Treason
Espionage
Murder of a law enforcement or military personnel
Attempting assassination of the President
Assassination of the President
Large scale drug trafficking
Murder committed during drug trafficking
Kidnapping across state lines
Murder of a member of the Council, Joint Chiefs of Staff and Cabinet
Terrorism
Attempting to overthrow the government by force
Train wreaking
Murder with use of explosives
Poaching on the federal land
Piracy
Murder on high seas

Executions by the federal government were normally carried out within the prison system of the state where the crime was committed, since the federal prison system lacked an execution facility. Similarly, a method of execution varied from state to state. If such state abolished capital punishment, the most recently permitted method was applied.

Only in cases where the crime was committed in a territory or in the District of Columbia, convicts were to be executed by hanging at the United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas, which was never applied.

From 1982 to 1985, 13 people were executed by the federal government.

Florida: 3 (electrocution)
Texas: 2 (lethal injection)
Oklahoma: 2 (lethal injection)
California: 1 (gas chamber)
Vermont: 1 (electrocution)
Virginia: 1 (electrocution)
Delaware: 1 (hanging)
Michigan: 1 (hanging)
Idaho: 1 (firing squad)

Post-1985

After restoration of the civilian government, future of the federal death penalty was uncertain, as a number of leading political figures, notably President Mark Hatfield and Senate Majority Leader Jefferson Dent, preferred an outright abolition. After a heated debate in the Congress, the federal death penalty survived, albeit restricted. Only four capital crimes were included in new Crimes Act of 1985:

Treason
Espionage
Terrorism
Murder of a federal official or employee

Like previously, the federal prison system did not operate an execution facility.

Although two death sentences were passed during his term, President Hatfield refused to sign any death warrant that came before him and on his last full day in office (January 19, 1989) he commuted these sentences.

One execution was carried out under Hatfield's successor, John Peterson (Kentucky, by electrocution).

Peterson's successor, Carolyn Shays, who publicly opposed the death penalty, commuted two death sentences that came before her, but allowed one execution to proceed (New Jersey, by lethal injection). Unlike Hatfield, she did not issue a blanket commutation for eight death row inmates as she was leaving office.

Shays' successor, Jefferson Dent, indicated during his campaign he'll push for abolition of the federal death penalty (...)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

Whoa... American territories!?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

Federal death row inmates as of January 1993:

Miguel Įlvarez (M/H/33)

A drug smuggler and Colombian citizen, convicted of ordering killings of two undercover FBI agents in Miami.

Randall Breitkopf (M/W/26)

A poacher. Convicted of shooting the NPS ranger at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota.

Buck Napoleon Howett (M/W/42)

A moonshiner. Convicted of shooting two ATF agents during a standoff in Cullman County, Alabama.

Dino Scalia (W/M/61)

An associate of the Lucchese crime family. Convicted for being a middleman in a contract killing of the federal prosecution star witness in New Jersey.

Mary O'Connor Smith (F/W/32)

A housewife. Her husband, William Smith, former a CIA analysts, was found guilty of selling American secrets to China, and she was convicted as his accomplice, although some argued that proceedings against the wife were might have served as a lever to get more information from the husband during investigation. William Smith died in prison in 1992, awaiting execution as well.

Frank Warner  (M/W/47)

An excommunicated Baptist pastor and anti-abortion activist, originally from Mississippi, convicted of bombing abortion clinic in Hartford, Connecticut. Although there were no fatalities (in spite of a number of injured), he was convicted as a terrorist.

Lennox White (M/B/29)

A gang member. Convicted of shooting an FBI agent in Chicago, Illinois.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2012, 02:16:09 PM by Kalwejt »

January 22, 1993

Bucephalus "Buck" Combs sat comfortably (some would say too comfortably) back to the wall in the Cabinet Room with other White House staffers below cabinet-level rank who were here to listen and sit quiet.
Combs: What a wax cabinet.
And chuckled, satisfied of his very well put pun.
Mandy: (annoyed) Shut up.
Buck blushed and, as per suggestion, shut up. Ever since the two started to work together back in 1991, at the Governor's Office, he tried to make a pass at the new White House Press Secretary and each time she were mercilessly giving him a cold shoulder. To take his mind, even for a moment, from Mandy, Buck started to politely listen to a secretary checking attendance at the first Dent Cabinet meeting. This was of course a waste of time, but for some reason it was a custom.
Secretary of State...

Preston Cabot (yes, from The Cabots) was qualified for the job if only because he travelled more around the globe and had more important personal contacts than many of his predecessors, not to mention dozens of self-proclaimed "foreign policy experts" in D.C. However, he was neither a career diplomat or even a career politician. He was an extremely wealthy lawyer from Hartford, Connecticut. When his nomination was announced, there was some suprise, but everyone agreed this makes perfect sense. It was obvious this President will be handling foreign policy directly from the Oval, so there's no need for powerful or experienced Secretary. Cabot will manage the state's machine and, considering the President's already legendary little patience for protocol, he can even become some kind of a substitute ceremonial head of state for which, given his background and distinguished appearance, he seemed to be made for.

Secretary of the Treasury...

Kent Conrad, a loyal North Dakota Democrat who, despite pleas from his constituents, kept a promise to retire if the federal budget deficit had not fallen by the end of his term. Safe pick.

Secretary of Defense

Now THAT was a huge suprise. Christian Mattingly, a Republican and self-made millionaire from Michigan, already sat in the previous cabinet, on the chair currently occupied by Conrad, until President Shays fired him in 1991. Buck was still trying to figure out what the f**k is he doing here.

Attorney General...

It took a great deal of efforts to convince Walter Robertson to give up his successful law practice and accept the post. One of the President's oldest friend, as the two were knowing each other since the civil rights movement days, former law partner and first Black staffer in the southern Senator's office was now the first African American Attorney General.

Secretary of the Interior...

He was supposed to be finished, yet Scott Westman suddenly got another chance, despite his poor personal relations with his former best friend. Now, at 47, he was a shadow of a former self.

Secretary of Agriculture...

Kika de la Garza, another safe pick. The highest-ranking Latino in the federal government and former Chairman of the House Agriculture Committee.

Secretary of Commerce...

Many would rather expect to see Robert Reich in charge of labor, but the President liked to play against popular expectations.

Secretary of Labor...

Mac Holt, a bald former Governor of West Virginia and darling of the Unions, known for his temper and rather poor personal manners. In other words: someone Buck could relate to.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »

Hehehe. One correction though, Mattingly became a Republican in 1979. Raised a Democrat, became an independent in the mid-70's.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »

Hehehe. One correction though, Mattingly became a Republican in 1979. Raised a Democrat, became an independent in the mid-70's.

Fix'd.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

Secretary of Health and Human Services...

Meh, just some random third Assistant Secretary substituting after the President's nominee suddenly withdrew his name due to some pitiful tax stuff. Moving on...

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development...

Andrea Chu, the rising star of an Asian American politics and former Mayor of Tacoma, Washington, was merely 36 years old and, contrary to a stereotype of a politician with early success, she was actually a very shy and insecure person.

Secretary of Transportation...

Mark Benson, a former member of the Amtrak Board of Directors and the only true capitalist in the cabinet along with Mattingly.

Secretary of Energy...

Archie Jackson, a man who rose from hopeless poverty of the Mississippi cotton fields to become a three-star Admiral, responsible, before his retirement, for managing Navy's oil reserves. Ironically, and maybe because of these experiences, he was absolutely crazy for green energy ideas.

Secretary of Education...

Millicent "Millie" Webb, a middle-aged Maryland aristocratic lady who spent a lifetime working in D.C. public school system. Not that's relevant in any way, as nobody questioned her competence, but fifteen years ago she had a passionate affair in the future President.

Postmaster General...

Ah, Lawrence Wargrave, the "Voltage Larry" in person. Buck admired and hated him. Admired, because the former Judge was everything he wanted to be, an ultimate political badass. Hates, because he himself still was a newbie in Beltway politics. Wargrave looked kind of like an old, asleep turtle, but he was certainly the most focused person in the whole room. Per Kissinger precedent, he became Postmaster General and Senior Counselor to the President with office space directly in the West Freaking Wing. Nixon didn't dare to abolish the Post Department.

Secretary of Veterans Affairs...

Wow, they must have exhumed him. Not that he's particularly old for a politician, but because he was such a yesterday news and almost remained one. George McGovern declined State, Agriculture and the Interior offers to finally accept a VA spot, probably in order to make the President-elect stop occupying his living room. With accepting, he insisted to be named a Plenipotentiary for Nutrition and Hunger.   

White House Chief of Staff...

Martin Price, a brilliant and colorless bureaucrat, was sitting here stiffly and silently.

Ambassador to the United Nations...

I don't know him.

Director of Central Intelligence...

Clayton Ellis, another scion of a prominent American dynasty, but not quite political. His ancestors were playing key roles in the U.S. intelligence since days of the Civil War (though, in this one case, on the losing side). He was also a total bastard, which was probably good when the CIA is concerned.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »

Admiral Lafayette B. Collins, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, always knew where the wind blew and on which side position himself. For forty years, he obeyed orders from the civilian leadership, until his star-wearing colleagues decided to toss said leadership away. Then, he participated in the junta, sharing responsibility, until General Marland died in a plane crash, elevating him, as Marland's second in command, to the Presidency.

With country being torn apart and descending deeper and deeper into crisis, Collins did something many stubborn colleagues were hard time to forgive, much less understand, he entered talks with the opposition, he obediently prosecuted until then, and made a deal. Ironically, he did it in the best interest of the military establishment, knowing that the the Army won't be able to keep control, so he allowed restoration in exchange for retaining military's privileges and no counterpresecution. It also served him well personally, as he remained the U.S.'s top general and now was likely to go down with history as some kind of American F. W. de Clerk, rather than a dictator with red hands.

And now, satisfied with the deal and how he handled things, he was loyal to his commander-in-chief, a man he once helped put behind bars.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »

Although the United States political scene remains dominated by two major parties, after troubled experiences of the 1970s, so-called third parties started to play larger role, both at local and federal levels.

Prohibition Party

While never one of the leading parties in the U.S., it was once an important force in the American politics States during the late 19th century and the early years of the 20th century. It has declined dramatically since the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. 

The Prohibition Party experienced a sudden renaissance in the 1970s, by expanding it's platform to focus on drugs and, as one observer put, "everything anti-counterculture", winning valuable support in the social conservative circles.

Prohibitionists became especially strong in Louisiana, holding a number of local offices, usually at Parish level. In 1980, Prohibition candidate, Reverend Lemuel Sixpack, won election to the U. S. Senate in a shocking upset, after a longtime Democratic incumbent, Russell B. Long, was suddenly eliminated in the jungle primary. Sixpack was narrowly reelected in 1986 and 1992, both strongly Democratic years nationwide.

Libertarian Party

Founded in 1971, the Libertarian Party is the largest third party, having more than 60 elected officials nationwide, mostly at the local level. It also has two current members of the United States House of Representatives: Ron Paul of Texas' 22nd (originally a Republican, changed parties in 1982) and Mendelik D'Israeli of Montana's at-large (elected 1986).

The Libertarian Party is particularly strong in Montana, where it basically replaced the Republican Party as a competition for the Democrats.

Social Democratic Party

Formed in 1983, at the height of military dictatorship. Though smaller than Libertarian Party, thanks to it's organization and international contacts, the Social Democratic Party played an important role in opposing the junta.

The Social Democratic Party was established from merger of the Socialist Party USA, Vermont Liberty Union and a group of western progressive Republicans and Democrats, especially in North Dakota.

As of 1992, the Social Democratic Party holds one governorship (Edgar Langer of North Dakota) and one congressional seat (Bernie Sanders, Vermont's at-large).

Unlike Prohibitionists and Libertarians, that filled their own presidential candidates, the Social Democratic Party endorsed Democrat Jefferson Dent in 1988 and 1992. President Dent named party's member Mac Holt a Secretary of Labor in his cabinet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »

Dent: (using an urinal) Really, Preston? This is my first task in foreign relations?
Cabot: Mr. President, this visit has been booked since November.
Dent: Right, any more "welcome to your new home" gifts left by Carolyn? Are you sure there's no bomb hidden under your desk, Marty?
Price: Yes, Mr. President.
Dent: You know, I'm kind of too busy nowdays to entertain some prepubescent girl.
Cabot: Actually, she's 17.
Dent: That's even worse. Is she still a virgin?
Cabot: Oh, for the love of God, sir...
Dent: This is valid question. I guess I should ask my Director of Central Intelligence. When is the national security briefing, Marty?
Price: In twenty three minutes and four second.
Dent: ...and four seconds. You're a nutjob, Marty.
Price: Thank you, Mr. President.
Dent: I don't have a Don Giovanni complex. Always preferred more experienced women to clumsy first timers. I'm not like Fredo.
Cabot: Who's Fredo?
Price: Secretary of the Interior.
Dent: Trust me, Preston, you don't want to know your nickname. Anyway, I'm still trying to get Rafsanjani to agree to meet face to face somewhere. Why are your boys at the State busy with preparing a dinner table for some joke Grand Duchess instead of talking with Tehran?
Cabot: That is what your NSA team is doing.
Wargrave: Knock, knock.
Dent: Larry, do you think Grand Duchess Beatrice is still a virgin?
Wargrave: (taking a second urinal) Frankly, I don't give a crap.
Dent: And that's the correct answer. I'm not going to waste my time meeting with the girl whose virginity is still an open question.
Cabot: Mr. President, she is a visiting head of state.
Dent: That's very hyperbolic to call a pathetic island with fewer residents than Bismarck, North Dakota, a "state".
Cabot: She's royal.
Dent: Just because some crusader nutjob running for his life from the Saracens took an island no one cared about, and his some-times-great-grandson decided to call himself a "Grand Duke", doesn't make her royal.
Cabot: Everon is our neighbour.
Dent: God, we still maintain Kolgujev? Wasn't Beauregard supposed to sell it? Oh right, he didn't have time. Yet another reason to hate our generals. I'm not doing this, Preston.
Cabot: Sir...
Dent: Give this to the Vice President.
Cabot: That'd be inappropriate.
Dent: How so? The whole point of having the Vice President is to make him, or her, miserable.
Cabot: Sir, there's really nothing we can do with this.
Dent: Is there newfound oil in the region that you care so much? Maybe you want me to intimidate her. OK, I can tell her about old Kilby Prison or, better yet, about that night we entered Vietnamese village... never mind, it's still classified.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »

The Maldens War was an armed conflict between the United States and Grand Duchy of Everon on one side, and the Everon Republican Movement, supported by a rogue units of the Soviet Army on another. The conflict is also known as the Maldens Crisis, Everon Civil War, Revolution of 1963 and Knazhev's Mutiny.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2012, 06:01:16 PM by Midwest Regional Kommissęr Kalwejt »

Malden Islands

The Malden Islands, also known as the Malden Archipelago, are a group of three small islands, located in the Ionian Sea, half way between Sicily and Greece.

Malden

Thought the smallest (44 km2) of all three islands, as well as the only completely unihabitated, Malden gave name to the entire group.

As possession of the Kingdom of Sardinia, Malden became a part of the unified Italy. Occupied by the American troops in 1943, it was formally ceded to the United States in 1946. The only American territory in Europe, administered by the Department of Defense, it is consider as one of the United States Minor Outlying Islands for statistical designation purposes.

With no civilian population, only residents are the U.S. military personnel.

Everon

Everon is the largest (240 km2), as well as the most populated (70,000) island of the Malden Archipelago. It is also the only independent country, originally founded by the French Crusader Pierre de Everon in 1274, and was a possession of his descendants, only nominally subordinate to the King of France. After outbreak of the Great French Revolution, Jacques de Everon, formally proclaimed his realm as the Grand Duchy of Everon, becoming Grand Duke Jacques I.

Until 1930s, Everon essentially remained a semi-feudal country with it's economy based on farming and fishery. By mid-1930s, a fascist government came to power, allying the Duchy with Mussolini's Italy and outlying an ambitious program of economic reforms. As Italy's ally, Everon was briefly occupied by the U.S. forces at the end of the war. Unlike Malden, American forces soon left Everon, after removing fascists from the power.

Thanks to an economic aid, Everon was able to became a more diversified economy, although there's still little industry. The Duchy became a tax heaven and a number of American companies formally relocated there, in addition to maintaining close ties with the U.S. Government, allowing American military presence on the island.

Despite this, the general population benefited little from the post-War prosperity and Everon remained largely an authoritarian oligarchy, despite whispered calls for reforms, starting in 1950s.

The capital and largest town is Montignac (population: 4500). Other major towns includes Lamentin and Audry.

Kolgujev

The second-largest island of the Maldens (78 km2), Kolgujev was another Italian possession, seized by the Americans in 1944, before the Island has been handed to the Soviet Union, as per Yalta Agreement. Thus Kolgujev is the westernmost Soviet territory. The small Italian population of ap. 600 was expelled. There are about 100 civilians living in Kolgujev, mostly Russian fishermen.

Outside of this, like Malden, Kolgujev is a military base.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »

With the end of the World War II, the people of Everon hoped for a more democratic government and fairer distribution of wealth. Ironically, collapse of the fascist regime only meant return of an old oligarchy to power, backed by the United States due to the islands' strategic location, as well as American interests in the Grand Duchy, which led one pundit to describe Everon as the "Cuba of Mediterranean", and another as the "Evil Liechtenstein".

By late 1940s, a nonviolent reform movement became popular among Everon population and won the first direct parliamentary election in landslide. Results, however, were invalidated and government begun a crackdown. In 1952, TIME dubbed Everon as the "smallest state with big secret police". The United States covertly provided a support in this crackdown, incorrectly believing that Everon reformists are communists.

During the 1950s, reform movement went underground and abandoned calls for constitutional reforms in favor of total rejection of the monarchy. In 1960 Stojan Troska, a British-educated M.D., became a leader of the Republican Movement, that transformed into a true guerrilla force. Coincidentally, Colonel Andre Gossi (soon created Baron of Lamentin and promoted to Lieutenant General) was named Minister of Defense and became de facto head of the government, due to Grand Duke's Henri II mental illness. A veteran of the Spanish Civil War (where he volunteered in the nationalist troops), he instituted full martial law. Under his government, the Grand Duchy carried out the first execution since 1894. As admirer of the Francoist Spain, Gossi introduced garrote vil as an official method of executions in Everon.

American military involvement in the Maldens

In addition to their presence on Malden, the U.S. maintained small garrison on Everon. As the Everon Republican Momevent grew stronger, however, American involvement on the island increased, mostly consisting special ops that provided Everon forces with intelligence and technical support.

By 1963, there were about 1000 U.S. soldiers stationing on Malden and 90 on Everon. Colonel Dirk Franks, USMC, was a Commander of the Maldens at the time.

Rogue Soviet intervention

An outcome of the Cuban Missile Crisis left many elements withing the Soviet establishment dissatisfacted. Among those hardliners was General Dmitry Knazhev, commander of the 12. Army, stationing on Kolgujev. With his high-placed friends in Moscow, he decided to invade Everon, derived by desire for revenge against the U.S., as well as hoping that such victory will energize Soviet military establishment to remove Krustchev from power.

Helping Everon Republicans was a sufficient excuse to get involved, although they were long distancing themselves from communism. Yet, giving brutal policy of the monarchist forces, they accepted an offer.

On March 3 rogue Soviet troops from Kolgujev landed on Everon and the Maldens War started...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies