Was the Catholicism question out of line?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:57:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Was the Catholicism question out of line?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Was the Catholicism question out of line?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Was the Catholicism question out of line?  (Read 4176 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »

Again, is there any other job interview during which an interviewer would be allowed to ask how a candidate's religion would influence his decision? Unless you're applying for a job at the Vatican, it's grotesquely inappropriate.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 05:22:15 PM by angus »

Again, is there any other job interview during which an interviewer would be allowed to ask how a candidate's religion would influence his decision? Unless you're applying for a job at the Vatican, it's grotesquely inappropriate.

It's not that weird.  

Okay, what if we had two Jewish candidates, and one of them was the sort of modern guy that ate bacon every morning for breakfast and was married to a Mexican American, and the other was a skullcap-wearing, white-shirted, kill all palestinians and let God sort 'em out, orthodox sort of Jew, and the moderator asked something like, "hey, how does your religion inform your views on foreign policy?" it'd be the same thing.  Many American voters care about foreign policy.  

Or we can do Hindus killing flies, or Mormons smoking, or Baptists dancing, or pick your favorite, so long as it has something to do with an issue that many Americans feel strongly about and as long as we have two candidates of the same ethnoreligious identity, one of whom falls into a stereotype and the other of whom does not.  

I'm not calling any of it politically correct, but then I loathe political correctness in the first place.  This moderator wanted to ask about abortion.  Now, if it were up to me, no candidate would ever have to spend time explaining his or her position on abortion.  Firstly, because it doesn't rank in my top ten--and probably not in my top twenty--issues.  I don't really care much one way or the other how a candidate feels about human fetal abortion.  Secondly, I also think that's it's probably a highly personal issue and I'd just rather not hear about it.  It's private, and your personal feelings about it are none of my business.  But you have to understand that there are many American voters who care about this sort of stuff.  They want to know how candidates stand, and they have a right to if they're so inclined, and therefore reporters have a duty to report on it.  She was merely being a good reporter.  In televised debates, a "moderator" is essentially a high-profile reporter.  She knew that debate watchers will be interested in the candidates' views.  In this case, we happen to have two Catholics.  Catholicism is more than just a religion, just as many other "religions" are.  Catholicism, in particular, is a huge, powerful cultural and political institution.  She wants to bring up the issue of abortion, an issue in which many voters seem to have an interest, and an issue in which the political body known as the Catholic Church has lots to say.  It was a fair question and it was answered well enough by both candidates.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

It is fair because it is the same religion, and it shows how the candidates think. The choice between Biden and Ryan on Catholicism is whether one considers the economic teachings of the Catholic Church or the sexual teachings of the Catholic Church more important.

Joe Biden won this question because the economic positions of the Catholic Church are closer to those of more American non-Catholics, and even on abortion he tells people to not do the deeds that cause an undesired pregnancy that might end in an abortion.   
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes. I'm a private school Catholic teacher. Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »

Pro-choice Catholics are always trolled with this sort of attack. But pro death-penalty or Iraq war Catholics aren't. There's definitely a double standard.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »

Well, they both were Catholic, so it wasn't "You're going to sell country out to the Pope, are you?"

That's not the point.

No, that's just J. J.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 03:20:45 AM »

To reword points already made here, the question wasn't out of line at all, but rather the lack of more questions about their religion (to both candidates) were out of line. Separation of church and state/religious morals are at the heart of many hot button social issues, as well as economic equality and defense.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »

Is it normal to ask about politics in job interviews in Tennessee?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »

If you're running for political office, sure. Just as a religious question is fine if one is seeking a religious job. The Presidency is not a religious job.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »

Liberal policies tend to lead to fewer abortions, and conservative policies to more.  Thus, anyone who doesn't like abortion should vote for liberal candidates.

I wish Biden had pointed that out, rather than the tired line about agreeing with the church but not wanting to force that on others.  Even Pelosi's truth about popes and theologians historically never agreeing on the beginning of life was better.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »

Not even remotely true.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I really..don't like single-issue voters.

(eg Catholics who vote Republican based on the abortion issue, while ignoring or downplaying the importance of the Church's teachings on poverty, social justice, war, the death penalty, etc...)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »

Pro-choice Catholics are always trolled with this sort of attack. But pro death-penalty or Iraq war Catholics aren't. There's definitely a double standard.

I'm not sure I would have considered that question out of line either.  Again I'd label it politically incorrect, but not out of line.  If capital punishment were a huge campaign issue this year, and the moderator wanted to ask two Catholics how their religious views informed them on the issue, it would be fair game.  It would be interesting to see how they spin it.  Again, good reporting.  No one seems to talk much about capital punishment, though.  I gather that the issue does not distinguish these two candidates, or that it isn't a hot-button issue the way abortion is. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »

One thing I've noticed is that white (non-Hispanic) Catholics seem to prioritize the abortion issue more than other Catholics in the United States.

Makes sense at some level, I guess; white Catholics are more affluent than non-whites, on average. When you're not dealing  with discrimination or struggling to pay the bills, you can afford to prioritize sexual issues.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »

If you're running for political office, sure. Just as a religious question is fine if one is seeking a religious job. The Presidency is not a religious job.
Right....and yet many use it as one and most voters demand it be one. Herein lies the problem.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »

If you're running for political office, sure

As is often the way, the point sails several miles over your head.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

No, but I would have much preferred if she had asked how their faith informed their philosophies and their views on the issues -and not just abortion or gay marriage.  I like to think the viewing audience are not such simpletons that they can't handle a more complex discussion. 
milhouse24
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that white (non-Hispanic) Catholics seem to prioritize the abortion issue more than other Catholics in the United States.

Makes sense at some level, I guess; white Catholics are more affluent than non-whites, on average. When you're not dealing  with discrimination or struggling to pay the bills, you can afford to prioritize sexual issues.

Its mostly a white people problem.  More specifically its a white woman's issue and a feminist issue.  Some Black women are also pro-abortion, but the Black community usually frowns on abortion, and there are a lot of Black Populists that want to increase Black political clout by increasing the African American population, especially since Black men have shorter average life spans.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

Are 1 million people being killed every year through the death penalty?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »

It was out of line. While I understand it was historical to have both Catholic candidates to be in both sides of the VP ticket, why was it necessary to ask about their religions if it pertains to a certain issue? In my opinion I think Catholics who are left-wing ignore their religion's stance Abortion of Gay rights, and Catholics who are right-wing ignore their religion's stances on social justice. I assume the whole question was just to show how imperfect we are even Biden and Ryan.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 09:19:35 PM »

Liberal policies tend to lead to fewer abortions, and conservative policies to more.  Thus, anyone who doesn't like abortion should vote for liberal candidates.

I wish Biden had pointed that out, rather than the tired line about agreeing with the church but not wanting to force that on others.  Even Pelosi's truth about popes and theologians historically never agreeing on the beginning of life was better.

I thought that his answer was the best of the debate. 
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »

That's true to some extent. White Catholic still are being discriminated, so they are still dealing with discrimination.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »

That's true to some extent. White Catholic still are being discriminated, so they are still dealing with discrimination.

In what way is there systematic discrimination against white Catholics in the US today?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »

Obamacare, for one.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »

In what way is there systematic discrimination against white Catholics in the US today?

The fact that they are Catholic. Catholics are still discriminated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies