Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 21, 2019, 12:23:51 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: New features added! Click here for more information. Click here to configure new features.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Gustaf, Torie, The Mikado, VP YE)
| | |-+  Are [ə] and [ʌ] different phonemes in American English?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are [ə] and [ʌ] different phonemes in American English?  (Read 3104 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »

As I understand it, [ə] only exists in unstressed syllables while [ʌ] only exists in stressed syllables, which would mean that there are no minimal pairs. In my own speech, I can't distinguish between the two.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »

I don't think so. Is there a difference in other languages?

Judge not this space by empty remains
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »

I don't think so. Is there a difference in other languages?

It's a difference in other varieties of English, actually.  One of my phonetics/phonology profs in undergrad was a native speaker of Indian English, and he had some minimal pairs (or near-minimal pairs).  He tried to convince me that they were phonetically distinguishable, but I couldn't hear the difference at all.  Not just the way I can't hear the difference between [ɑ] and [ɔ], where I feel like I can hear a phonetic difference but it's completely uninformative to my grammar, but, like, I just couldn't hear anything.  I think it's still maintained in other Englishes, too.

So, sorry, Xahar, you just have to memorize that [ʌ] happens in stressed syllables and [ə] in unstressed ones!  At least your prof isn't penalizing you for not distinguishing /ɑ/ and /ɔ/ Wink

Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »

What were these minimal pairs? Also, is /ʌ/ as rare as Wikipedia says it is? I certainly can't think offhand of many languages in which it exists.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »

If [ʌ] does not appear unstressed, what is the second syllable of "backup"? Do you not distinguish this from the second syllable of "ketchup"?
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:53:06 am »

If [ʌ] does not appear unstressed, what is the second syllable of "backup"? Do you not distinguish this from the second syllable of "ketchup"?

My dictionary lists "backup" as having a secondary stress on the second syllable, which it does not for "ketchup".

Don't troll and drive!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

I assume secondary stress is assigned to the second syllable precisely because [ʌ] appears in that position.

Update reading list

Oakvale
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 10:39:39 am »

It's so weird that this forum has a sizeable contingent of linguistics enthusiasts as well as the predictable map nerds.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »

It's so weird that this forum has a sizeable contingent of linguistics enthusiasts as well as the predictable map nerds.

I think we're just particularly talkative.  I wonder why linguists like talking Grin

Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »

If secondary stress is determined by the presence of [ʌ], then I suppose it would be tautological to say that it only appears in stressed syllables.

Update reading list

minionofmidas - supplemental forum account
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »

I think there is a certain degree of crossover appeal.

My dictionary lists "backup" as having a secondary stress on the second syllable, which it does not for "ketchup".
Yes, that's immediately obvious to my ear. (Though German speakers would put a similar secondary stress on the second syllable of ketchup.) What's less obvious is that that makes the sound in "ketchup" not an [ʌ].

(deeks around)
Ah, indeed wiktionary offers [ʌ] and [ə] as both valid for ketchup. [ə] basically is just what a lot of vowel sounds collapse to when they're utterly devoid of stress.

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout