Where are the Obama ads in Ohio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:35:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Where are the Obama ads in Ohio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where are the Obama ads in Ohio?  (Read 1223 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »

All Summer, Romney was jack-hammered like the D.C. madam on the Ohio airwaves minute after minute with anti-Romney, anti-Bain ads. Even into September, pro-Obama ads were everywhere.

I can't watch TV the last two weeks without ad after ad with Mitt Romney, calm cool and debate-like giving specifics on his jobs plan. His everyman, talking to the camera ads keep playing every few minutes as if he's carpet bombing the airwaves in Ohio. I can't remember the last pro-Obama ad I saw.

What's going on?
Mister Twister

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:15 PM »

Obama pulled out of Ohio because he was so far ahead
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »

Obama pulled out of Ohio because he was so far ahead

lol
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

This is the first week that Romney outspent Obama on ads.  Add in the super PACs and Romney has about a 3:2 advertising advantage this week.  Obama spent more in absolute terms and versus Romney last week, including on a two-minute ad that ran before the first debate.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »

according to National Journal, Obama is still outspending Romney in Ohio. It has been reported that Obama uses much more targeted media. You probably dont see many Obama ads when watching Fox  News, but you probably see lots of them when you watch Ellen
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2012, 11:36:47 PM by Lief »

Yeah, the fact that Naso isn't seeing Obama ads is actually an example of how advanced Obama's media campaign is.
Reds4

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »

For the record.. I'm still seeing Obama ads... I'm seeing a ton of ads from both candidates.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »

For the record.. I'm still seeing Obama ads... I'm seeing a ton of ads from both candidates.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »

This is the first week that Romney outspent Obama on ads.  Add in the super PACs and Romney has about a 3:2 advertising advantage this week.  Obama spent more in absolute terms and versus Romney last week, including on a two-minute ad that ran before the first debate.

Perhaps, Romney spend his ad money on programs frequently viewed by Republicans, while Obama has targeted programs more to the liking of Democrats? I read a fascinating article once about how Republicans, among others, tended to prefer shows about work such as "The Deadliest Catch," while Democrats, among others, preferred shows with moral ambiguous heroes such as Dexter.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »

Perhaps, Romney spend his ad money on programs frequently viewed by Republicans, while Obama has targeted programs more to the liking of Democrats? I read a fascinating article once about how Republicans, among others, tended to prefer shows about work such as "The Deadliest Catch," while Democrats, among others, preferred shows with moral ambiguous heroes such as Dexter.

Obama has made national ad buys on networks like MTV (to reach younger voters), on late-night TV talk shows, and during the baseball playoffs.   Romney hasn't made many national media buys and is targeting the swing states directly.  Obama's media campaign, which employs a team of outside media buyers, is supposedly more targeted than Romney's, where one or two people in-house are deciding on which media to buy.   Obama is reportedly more up on local swing state cable than Romney, too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »

I'm seeing a bunch of Obama ads.

BTW:  I knew the DC Madame slightly.  She was a nice lady. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »

Interesting comments. The thing is, is that Obama needs to target to get out his base. Romney does not. His base will turn out. Romney needs to get at the swing voters. How to do that is more complicated than targeted media, unless the target is swing voters itself. And it may be that more generalized ads, trying to convince voters that Romney is a safe alternative to Obama, who will not burn the place down, but tack in an intelligent way, is the best way to do that.

I say that as one who claims zero marketing expertise. That subject always bored me to death, from Business School on.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »

Obama has made national ad buys on networks like MTV (to reach younger voters), on late-night TV talk shows, and during the baseball playoffs.   Romney hasn't made many national media buys and is targeting the swing states directly.  Obama's media campaign, which employs a team of outside media buyers, is supposedly more targeted than Romney's, where one or two people in-house are deciding on which media to buy.   Obama is reportedly more up on local swing state cable than Romney, too.
Yeah, I was watching some movie on Lifetime with my family and I saw an Obama ad attacking Romney.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

Here is a pretty informing tweet:

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch
At moment election looks like coming down to Ohio. Huge spending by both sides, but Obama tv buying operation infinitely smarter.
Wonkish1

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

The word is that Romney has traditionally been buying more expensive prime time advertising and Obama has been buying more advertising in niche programming(which gives him less viewers per advertisement, but more quantity).

The notion that Romney is even above parity with Obama in total ads today means that he is by definition getting to more people(his prime time ads have more viewers), but this apparently only started happening very recently.

But the real question is does more targeted advertising have a stronger effect on the viewer over being one of the many ads in prime time ads.

I suspect that prime time ads with 80% of the commercials political would have a stronger effect of causing the viewer to more tune out the message. When it comes to niche programming I suspect that people remember more the lone political ad among a sea of Shamwow type commercials.

Trying to be objective I think going where political advertising hasn't bid up the cost and flooded the airwaves is likely a good place to get more bang for your buck.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

I haven't seen a Presidential ad in a weeks.  I miss being a swing state.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »

SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

Yeah, the fact that Naso isn't seeing Obama ads is actually an example of how advanced Obama's media campaign is.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

I haven't seen a Presidential ad in a weeks.  I miss being a swing state.

No ads on the major channels? I see them in GA multiple times per day (ABC, NBC, MSNBC & other assorted favorable channels like MTV & Comedy Central), but I'm guessing those are just part of national ad buys.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »

To answer Reaganfan's question, they are on TV.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »

Subjective title.  It depends which channels on TV you watch and the times they're on.  If you watch Democrat leaning TV programs or shows, you'll see more anti-Romney ads.  Vice-versa.

In CO, I see ads all the time, it's rather annoying. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies