What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 40619 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »

Children of Invention - wonderfully bleak!  So bleak it included MLM, so about as bleak as anything I've seen.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2013, 04:43:07 AM »

Django Unchained

You know, one day Tarantino and Rodriguez ought to collaborate on a movie called Django vs. Machete! Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Will be going to see Warm Bodies this afternoon with a friend.

First it was vampires that women of all ages swooned over. Now it is zombies. Hopefully political nerds is soon to follow.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »

I went to a screening of Lincoln held by the US Embassy ... I absolutely loved it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 08:53:23 AM by Politico »

Get the Gringo, an absurd Mel Gibson straight-to-video type of flick that tries so very hard to be Payback.

It was kind of disturbing though how casual they were about things like gunning down parents in front of their children (even if the parents were particularly despicable and unsympathetic individuals) and how that one guy didn't seem to care too much about threatening to open fire on the onlooking civilians if they didn't leave soon. Of course that's probably how most soldiers operate.

For most soldiers, that sh**t bothers them after the fact. Obviously they cannot afford to allow it to bother them when they are in danger.

The best film of 2012 is Argo IMHO. Have yet to see Silver Linings Playbook, though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »

The Master only came out in the Netherlands two weeks ago... so I went to see that.

Excellent. Really Excellent actually.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 03:01:57 PM by blagohair.com »

I saw several movies this weekend.

Warm Bodies:  I thought it was really good.  It really is a story about loneliness  and lack of empathy.  The scene I liked the best was when the zombie was imagining the world before the apocalypse believing everything would have been so much better, and all we saw were people with their faces buried in their cellphones or ipads.

Hansel and Gretel:  Really stupid but plenty of close-ups to Gemma Arterton's cleavage.

Silver linings playbook:  I really didn't like it that much.  The characters were really shallow and the plot predictable.  Not sure what people like about it.

I also saw the Oscar nominated short films.

Asad:  Asad is kid growing up in a Somali refugee camp.  Interesting film and it tries to raise awareness for an important issue, but a bit shallow in its approach.  Still decent though.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6aJ7_8tcc&playnext=1&list=PL6bVzMwNgtWyD_btVuiK05BZ7Mrpa1wL3&feature=results_video

Buzkashi Boys:  A story of two boys in Afghanistan who dream of becoming buzkashi riders.  The film is certainly a window to a different world despite the bad acting.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkbLtY-G2g

Curfew:  Easily my favorite out of the 5 nominees.  A man in his late 20s early 30s is about to commit suicide when his estranged sister calls him telling him she needs someone to babysit her daughter.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAVg17luqc

Death of a shadow:  I didn't care about it that much but it will probably win the Oscar.  A dead WWI soldier is given the opportunity to return to Earth after taking 10,000 photographs of death scenes.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEt1e-g1vLs

Henry:  Henry is an aging French musician who is losing his memory after his wife's death.  A wonderful film.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RKh--NWZrU
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »

The Master only came out in the Netherlands two weeks ago... so I went to see that.

Excellent. Really Excellent actually.

Pretty ridiculous that it wasn't nominated.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »

I thought There Will Be Blood was simply amazing visually as well as in terms of the acting and the development of the story. Unbelievably good.

So I've been curious about The Master. Is that basically about a guy who has post-war issues and as a result gets caught up in a new age type cult? If so, that could be interesting, because I liked how Anderson handled the issue in There Will Be Blood. I'm actually surprised there wasn't more outrage over that. But as a slow-moving, methodical drama, maybe it wasn't as mainstream as it would have been 15 years prior (in the USA).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »

The Master is quite a bit different from There Will Be Blood, though in a sense the general premise (how two characters interact with each other) is kind of the same. The biggest difference though is that while TWBB was this epic long evolving storyline and all, The Master isn't like that at all, in fact you could probably cut the movie down to only about 45 minutes to an hour if you included only the "plot" stuff in it. What it consists primarily of is a bunch of vignettes showing a window as to what's going on with the characters. The reasons to see it:

-Hoffman and Phoenix's performances are both well deserving of their nominations. I remember one of the AV Club editors rated the "processing" scene his favorite scene of any movie of the year (anyone who's seen it knows what's being referred to.) For Phoenix in fact I'd call it the best performance of his career.
-The cinematography is AWESOME.

But it doesn't have much of an epic feel or much in terms of storytelling. If you know that beforehand though, you'll probably enjoy it more.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

The Master is quite a bit different from There Will Be Blood, though in a sense the general premise (how two characters interact with each other) is kind of the same. The biggest difference though is that while TWBB was this epic long evolving storyline and all, The Master isn't like that at all, in fact you could probably cut the movie down to only about 45 minutes to an hour if you included only the "plot" stuff in it. What it consists primarily of is a bunch of vignettes showing a window as to what's going on with the characters. The reasons to see it:

-Hoffman and Phoenix's performances are both well deserving of their nominations. I remember one of the AV Club editors rated the "processing" scene his favorite scene of any movie of the year (anyone who's seen it knows what's being referred to.) For Phoenix in fact I'd call it the best performance of his career.
-The cinematography is AWESOME.

But it doesn't have much of an epic feel or much in terms of storytelling. If you know that beforehand though, you'll probably enjoy it more.

I agree.  There's really no comparison between There will be blood and the Master.  Both had good performances but There will be blood had a far more compelling story.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

Looper

It wasn't terrible. The concept was pretty cool but wasn't used to its fullest potential. The telekinetic thing was unnecessary.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »

Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2013, 08:26:41 AM by DemPGH »

Saw Flight last night. Powerhouse drama, amazing writing and acting. Saw the end coming, but I thought it would be different circumstances. Denzel should give D-D Lewis a run for his money. Not that he will, but he should.

Oh, John Goodman has a couple brief appearances as comic relief - same character, basically, as he played in The Big Lebowski as the Dude's buddy.

Edit: BRTD, thanks for the description of The Master. I probably won't go out of my way to see it, then.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2013, 12:37:25 PM by shua »

The Criterion Collection has most of their films on Hulu free through tomorrow.  Having watched Erice's brilliant Spirit of the Beehive recently, I checked out El Sur. I wasn't disappointed - A very well done movie about family relations through a child's perspective. Hopefully they'll put it out on DVD in the US soon also.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

The Contender

Decent. It got too idealistic for me, which is usually my problem with political movies and shows. That being said, it's a topical film. It's very easy to imagine something similar going on with these guys we have in congress now. I'm also not sure where the President's speech was supposed to occur in the end but it certainly wasn't the halls of Congress.

Also, Jeff Bridges is the boss. He should be president in every thing.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »

I saw Amour.  I think Haneke is one of the weirdest, creepiest filmmakers of our time (and that's a compliment), and while I don't think this is his best film, it's still decent.  Good performances, especially by Trintignant and Huppert.  I enjoyed the very French dialogue between the father and the daughter.
It's easily the best of the 9 films nominated for the best picture award at the Oscars.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »

The Crucible

Worth a watch, but not particularly amazing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »

I just saw Silver Linings Playbook.  Lawrence definitely deserves the Oscar over Chastain. 

I'm going to have to echo this sentiment. The actors made the film. Chris Tucker had a decent role too, different from what you'd expect. And Robert De Niro is Italian.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »

Side Effects

It was okay. Pretty interesting. The tonal shift about half way through the movie (along with some of the twists) are pretty hard to swallow though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »

Chronicle

Not my all-time favorite, but it was good.  I'd watch it again.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »

Seven Days in May

Classic Cold War political thriller. Frederic March plays an excellent President.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

just watched the dictator. expected nothing but I did have a few giggles after a stressful week at work.

so did the job.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »

Well, I was watching O on Phl17 when the whole movie went into rapid rewind and the channel went black haha
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

The Graduate

A true classic. Should be mandatory viewing upon graduation from college.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies