Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141625 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »

My career in Kenya is becoming a bit clearer.  I now have an idea of how I will work and support myself without becoming another mouth to feed.  I will work directly with the Maisha International Orphanage and live in their volunteer home that will be built in 2015.  I will be financially supported mainly through stipends from Maisha and grants through various sources.  Like I said, it will be at least 4 years before I leave, probably closer to 4 1/2 - 5 years.  I want to be down there by January 1, 2018.
What will you be doing in Kenya specifically? I very much admire your good intentions, but I don't understand how you hope to be of service. Do you know anything about international development?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »

My career in Kenya is becoming a bit clearer.  I now have an idea of how I will work and support myself without becoming another mouth to feed.  I will work directly with the Maisha International Orphanage and live in their volunteer home that will be built in 2015.  I will be financially supported mainly through stipends from Maisha and grants through various sources.  Like I said, it will be at least 4 years before I leave, probably closer to 4 1/2 - 5 years.  I want to be down there by January 1, 2018.
What will you be doing in Kenya specifically? I very much admire your good intentions, but I don't understand how you hope to be of service. Do you know anything about international development?

I will be in the Administration of the Orphanage.  I will be coordinating sponsorships for the children from American and European homes, I will be coordinating mission trips with American churches who come down for a week or however long, and I will be coordinating those who choose to come alone.  Currently, on the ground at Maisha there are only 3 men overseeing 450 orphans and 150 widows.  One of the men is going to University, so he's only part time. As you can see 2 1/2 men overseeing 600 people plus ministering to those in the slums is quite a daunting task.
So you essentially want to work in their call center?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »

My career in Kenya is becoming a bit clearer.  I now have an idea of how I will work and support myself without becoming another mouth to feed.  I will work directly with the Maisha International Orphanage and live in their volunteer home that will be built in 2015.  I will be financially supported mainly through stipends from Maisha and grants through various sources.  Like I said, it will be at least 4 years before I leave, probably closer to 4 1/2 - 5 years.  I want to be down there by January 1, 2018.

I will be in the Administration of the Orphanage.  I will be coordinating sponsorships for the children from American and European homes, I will be coordinating mission trips with American churches who come down for a week or however long, and I will be coordinating those who choose to come alone.  Currently, on the ground at Maisha there are only 3 men overseeing 450 orphans and 150 widows.  One of the men is going to University, so he's only part time. As you can see 2 1/2 men overseeing 600 people plus ministering to those in the slums is quite a daunting task.
So you essentially want to work in their call center?

They have no call center.
Right, but you want to do call center sort of things. Seems like it's a telephone sort of job. Seems like you could do any of it via skype from anywhere in the world.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »

If Bushie's a bad winter driver, I prefer his abundance of caution to people who keep driving the same way they do in August. Similarly, I've made my peace with my mother's super slow old lady driving. Beats crashing into somebody trying to keep up.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 02:08:42 AM »

Made any preparation for Christmas yet?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2012, 03:35:30 AM by memphis »

Step in the right direction. Good job! I'm a major cheapskate, so I applaud the saving money thing too. You may want to try a higher quality of beef, which will be leaner only slightly more expensive. If you use whole wheat buns, you'll get fiber which makes you feel full, makes it easier to poop, and substantially lowers your risk of colon cancer. It's bit of an acquired taste, so go with it a few times. Ditch the cheese. It's just extra fat. I like to put fresh spinach leaves on hamburgers instead of lettuce. More flavor and more vitamins.
New recipe for you. Only slightly more difficult than hamburgers. Put some uncooked chicken parts on a baking sheet along with cut up pieces of potato and carrots. Pour a small amount of bbq sauce on top. A little bit goes a long way. Bake at 350 for about half an hour. Boom. Cheap, tasty meal. Leftovers microwave very well. I would also boil some broccoli (just for a minute) seperately just to get a veggie in, but I'm willing to see you take baby steps.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »

Step in the right direction. Good job! I'm a major cheapskate, so I applaud the saving money thing too. You may want to try a higher quality of beef, which will be leaner only slightly more expensive. If you use whole wheat buns, you'll get fiber which makes you feel full, makes it easier to poop, and substantially lowers your risk of colon cancer. It's bit of an acquired taste, so go with it a few times. Ditch the cheese. It's just extra fat. I like to put fresh spinach leaves on hamburgers instead of lettuce. More flavor and more vitamins.
New recipe for you. Only slightly more difficult than hamburgers. Put some uncooked chicken parts on a baking sheet along with cut up pieces of potato and carrots. Pour a small amount of bbq sauce on top. A little bit goes a long way. Bake at 350 for about half an hour. Boom. Cheap, tasty meal. Leftover microwave very well. I would also boil some broccoli (just for a minute) seperately just to get a veggie in, but I'm willing to see you take baby steps.

Wouldn't the carrots and potatoes be vegetables? (Although some classify "starches" as non-vegetables, but that's a minor debate).
Well, there's no scientific definition of what counts as veggie. I don't "count" corn, peas, potatoes and such. I like to have spinach, broccoli, asperagus, or brussel sprouts with any decent meal that I make for myself. Although, to be honest, I'm just a likely to have ramen noodles or a bowl of cereal for dinner.  Too lazy to cook everyday Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

The same reason The Sims is one of the most popular games of all time, I suspect.
This is almost it, except that Bushie frequently does not do as he is told. There is also the odd duality of a strong desire to help and to ridicule all rolled up into one. It's essentially an interactive exploitative reality show. With the right polishing, it could be the next big thing in broadcast entertainment. He could very easily be rich and famous. Except that this would defeat the looking for a job subplot, which is an integral part of the show. I suppose bigger plotholes have been ignored. And Bushie is generally EXTREMELY good natured about the ridicule side except for rare occassions which blow up into serious trouble. We all have our quirks in my life. I prefer to keep mine to myself, as I know I would not handle the criticism as well.
And as others have pointed out, this season has been awful. May be time to call it quits soon. I would hate for the Update to turn into the Simpsons.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »

There definitely should still be a Bushie movie some day, but we haven't yet reached the thrilling ending of this story yet.
Don't the days of everybody's life conclude in the same way? Or is it like Titanic or Lincoln where knowing the ending is not so much a spoiler. And I very much enjoyed the Kenya arc. Moving to Utah has been a disaster though. He needs to be among his own kind. I want to hear more about his church in Utah. Church and God have been the key component of this story from the beginning. Now they have been extremely marginalized and the quality is reflective.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »

Please tell us about church in Utah? Do you attend services or activities? Anybody there catch your eye enough that you might bust out a game of Wahoo?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »

My advice for any major decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjy8HqrcYys
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »

Why do you reserve airport parking? Can't you just drive into the garage and park? And do you know nobody well enough to get a ride to the airport? No buses running that way? Have you done the math on getting a cab? Parking at airport is expensive :-(
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

#2 is a luxury car in Oklahoma. 
I can't speak for Oklahoma, but around here, lots of people have nice cars. To a rather absurd extent. Not the flashy sports car, but the Lexus/Jaguar type comfy car. People spend an hour or two every day in their vehicle and it's the primary status symbol that other people see. Lots of people overextend themselves. Contrast that to a big city where parking is a pain, and one may not drive much anyway. Or was your point merely that people in Oklahoma are poor? Because that is hilarious...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »

This series has tanked about as much as Homeland Season 2.
^^^^^^^^
Without faith, update is dead. We need a revival. As for Bushie walking to work, the greatest threat is not his heart, it's slipping and falling. Especially if conditions are icy. Make sure you have sturdy footwear.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »

as long as your going under like 35 your not really going to get hurt if you crash. Can you take roads that are at or under this speed limit to work.  You can't be afraid of the snow. Last winter I was in a accident doing under 10 mph both of us slid on some ice it was a slow motion accident. I watched his car come at me for several seconds knowing he was going to hit me, it was weird. I also almost slid up a curb and into a stop sign barely stoping before I hit it. I also got my car stuck in the snow in a major intersection for 10 minutes. The intersection was 200 ft from my workplace. Another year I almost hit the mailbox of my work trying to floor it into the parking lot because the lot wasn't plowed and I didn't want to get stuck. Last year I hit some ice and spun around a few times in the middle of a 5 lane road lucky for me no one was on the road right by me. There were people a hundred feet or so in front of me but I stopped before I hit them, barely. Just get out there and drive. Is there a big parking lot you can practice driving in to get use to the snow? I would try that.
Is it common to have so many winter weather fueled accidents? Cause you guys have snow/ice for several months, right? Do you use chains/snow tires? Are these things helpful?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »

^^^^^^^^
Without faith, update is dead. We need a revival. As for Bushie walking to work, the greatest threat is not his heart, it's slipping and falling. Especially if conditions are icy. Make sure you have sturdy footwear.

I don't have any snow boots, yet, and my tennis shoes are in desperate need of being replaced, so the only pair I have is my dress shoes which is not too safe on snow and ice.
When I was at Bed Bath and Beyond last week, they had these rubber things that stretch over your shoes with metal studs on the bottom to help walk in slippery conditions. I thought it was a pretty clever product. Too bad they were trying to sell them in Memphis.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

^^^^^^^^

I don't have any snow boots, yet, and my tennis shoes are in desperate need of being replaced, so the only pair I have is my dress shoes which is not too safe on snow and ice.
When I was at Bed Bath and Beyond last week, they had these rubber things that stretch over your shoes with metal studs on the bottom to help walk in slippery conditions. I thought it was a pretty clever product. Too bad they were trying to sell them in Memphis.

There's a Bed Bath and Beyond just about 3-4 miles from me, so after Christmas, I may go down and see if they sell them here.
It's cheaper on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-Traction-Slip-Ons-Stretch-On/dp/B005H2RZDG
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »

Tomorrow is Tuesday, December 18, 2012. As most of you know, I have a very involved method of changing my calendars for the new year. With my Christmas Vacation coming up in 4 days, I will be beginning my Calendar Changing Procedures from 2012 to 2013 tomorrow night! For me, its not a matter of taking one down and hanging one up. I have a ritual I go through with each and every calendar, wall calendars and desk calendars alike. This procedure will conclude at 10:30 pm MST on Sunday, December 30, 2012.
Please elaborate. What does your ritual entail? Animal sacrifices?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »

As far as the airport goes Friday night, the weather will be just fine.  It's supposed to be in the 30s and dry Friday evening.  The only reason I'm going Friday evening instead of Saturday morning is so I don't miss my alarm.  My flight takes off at 6:00, which means I need to be at the airport by 4:00 especially with it being the weekend before Christmas, the airports will be packed.  I need to be to the Airport parking by 3:30, so I would need to leave by 3:00.  This would make me wake up by 2:00.  That's dangerous territory for missing an alarm.  I'll go to the airport Friday evening so I don't miss the alarm!  I'm debating on waiting until after the bowl game Friday night to go to the airport.  The game will be over by 9:00, so I could still get to the airport by 10:00.  Security should still be open at 10:00 especially for midnight flights.  That would make it just a bit cheaper to park.  I would only be paying for 4 - 24 hour nights instead of 5.  Or, I may just leave things untampered and go to the airport at 5:00.  I'll get off at 2:30 Friday, so I'll come home for at least a couple hours before going to the airport.
?? you and airplane times, you would got there at 17 for something at 6 the next day.

Pretty much. Smiley  I tend to like airports for some strange reason and I tend to like long layovers.
This is worse than the Christmas fixation, the obesity, and the strange calendar rituals. What is there to like about airports? Is it the long lines, screaming children, repetitive security reminders, or low quality food at high prices? It's actually very impressive that something as truly amazing as traveling hundreds of miles per hour in a machine that flies many thousands of feet in the air has been made so unpleasant by all the hassle surrounding it. If I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't it think it possible.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »

You couldn't get a ride to the airport, but you got somebody to take you to breakfast at 3:30 in the morning??? What a world! I now want to try Braum's. I had never heard of it, but I like trying places recommended by locals. I was very unimpressed by In N Out burger though. Standard crappy fast food burger with extra lettuce.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 04:10:03 AM »

Thankfully, Jamespol is coming to take me to breakfast at Denny's so I'm not bored out of my mindfor5 hours.  He'll bring me back by 3:30.

So you really are a black?
His family immigrated recently. They're not "real" blacks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »

As far as I know, domestic airlines have never given alcohol for free. I remember the old days of reheated meals and free checked bags, but cocktails were always extra. It was quite a surprise to me when I flew Lufthansas in Europe and got free alcohol.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »

Going to church on Sunday?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

Some very blunt foreshadowing here. We're due for some permanent involuntary time off very soon.http://
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

I bought a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard for my laptop Wednesday afternoon.  So, my laptop is further away from my eyes, its still only about 2 feet from my face, but I have had to raise the zoom on the screen from 100% to 125% and I still cannot see it clearly.  My eyes were just checked last May.  Anybody have this trouble?

You're the right age to have developed the need for reading glasses. I was 32. I would suggest seeing an eye doctor if you can because it is only going to get worse. Do not buy reading glasses at the drug store--you can't guess the right strength and the wrong glasses can cause you harm.

Eyeglass stores may offer free or cheap vision tests that can determine your prescription, then if it's something simple like +1/+1 you can buy cheap glasses at Walmart.

I've got regular glasses that I wear all the time, should I look into separate reading glasses as well?
In a perfect world a doctor would make that determination. Go to Walgreens, and try to read a magazine up close. If you have trouble, try moving it further away from your face. If it's easier to read a little further away, you need reading glasses. You can get them at Walgreens very cheaply, but you must be very careful to get the correct strength. Again, this would ideally all be done by an optometrist, but doctors are expensive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies