Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:09:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141060 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »

How Bushie, all this faith and so little church-going. How come I've been to church every week since getting here but aren't so dependent on the purported messages of God?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #301 on: November 21, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »

It shouldn't matter how long you've been there.  At least a pastor would invite you if you told him you had just moved and were alone.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

It shouldn't matter how long you've been there.  At least a pastor would invite you if you told him you had just moved and were alone.

Its alright.  I didn't bring up the subject.  True, somebody in the church should have invited me, but I don't hold any grudges.  In Salt Lake City, finding a Southern Baptist church is a really long and tedious process mostly since the state is 70% Mormon.  Salt Lake County, I believe is 60-65% LDS.  Its not like I can just hop on over to another church that matches my beliefs the closest.  If this were Oklahoma, then I could very easily, but Utah is a lot different than Oklahoma.  I've only found one Southern Baptist church in the entire Salt Lake City Metro.  There are probably more, but the places I've been I have not seen them.  The closest denomination to my beliefs other than Southern Baptist are Nazarene, but I haven't seen any Nazarene churches anywhere in Ogden or Salt Lake.  So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.  Staying home on Sunday morning is not an option in my book unless I am sick, out of town, or have company who don't go to church.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »

Its alright.  I didn't bring up the subject.  True, somebody in the church should have invited me, but I don't hold any grudges.  In Salt Lake City, finding a Southern Baptist church is a really long and tedious process mostly since the state is 70% Mormon.  Salt Lake County, I believe is 60-65% LDS.  Its not like I can just hop on over to another church that matches my beliefs the closest.  If this were Oklahoma, then I could very easily, but Utah is a lot different than Oklahoma.  I've only found one Southern Baptist church in the entire Salt Lake City Metro.  There are probably more, but the places I've been I have not seen them.  The closest denomination to my beliefs other than Southern Baptist are Nazarene, but I haven't seen any Nazarene churches anywhere in Ogden or Salt Lake.  So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.  Staying home on Sunday morning is not an option in my book unless I am sick, out of town, or have company who don't go to church.

If doing this is a "long and tedious process" for you, it's no wonder you never cook.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »

And in case you're in a spicy mood: here you go.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

It shouldn't matter how long you've been there.  At least a pastor would invite you if you told him you had just moved and were alone.

Or someone, even one person, would ask what his plans were for Thanksgiving.  He wouldn't need to insist on anything!  He would just need to be going to a church that actually talks to newcomers!

Bushie, why are you picking a church just based on denomination?  If this church isn't being welcoming—and, if you've been there four times, and they haven't tried to get to know you, they're not—you should find somewhere else.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »

Like I said, there are a few more churches than just one, but not many.  My options are pretty limited.

I did go to Walmart last night and got $50 worth of groceries.  I'll still be going to Golden Corral tomorrow night, but I'll be able to eat at home this weekend and most of next week.  I got enough to fix for dinner each night for a week and enough for lunches all next week.  Thankfully, the Hostess items have been removed from the shelves, otherwise I would have been very tempted to get the small powdered donuts for breakfast this weekend.  I will admit that I didn't get the healthiest food at Walmart, but I can at least save money.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »

Like I said, there are a few more churches than just one, but not many.  My options are pretty limited.

I did go to Walmart last night and got $50 worth of groceries.  I'll still be going to Golden Corral tomorrow night, but I'll be able to eat at home this weekend and most of next week.  I got enough to fix for dinner each night for a week and enough for lunches all next week.  Thankfully, the Hostess items have been removed from the shelves, otherwise I would have been very tempted to get the small powdered donuts for breakfast this weekend.  I will admit that I didn't get the healthiest food at Walmart, but I can at least save money.

Donuts? for breakfast?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

When else would one eat donuts?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »

But there are other options.  And you haven't tried them!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »

True, but I'm not going to switch churches because of one perceived indiscretion.  Would I have liked to be invited?  Sure, who wouldn't, but i'm not going to give up on them just because of that.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

True, but I'm not going to switch churches because of one perceived indiscretion.  Would I have liked to be invited?  Sure, who wouldn't, but i'm not going to give up on them just because of that.

But it's not just about that.  Has anyone there spoken to you?  Gotten to know you?  At all?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2012, 07:07:47 PM by Merry Christmas, America!! »

Like I said, there are a few more churches than just one, but not many.  My options are pretty limited.

But there are other options.  And you haven't tried them!

True, but I'm not going to switch churches because of one perceived indiscretion.  Would I have liked to be invited?  Sure, who wouldn't, but i'm not going to give up on them just because of that.

But it's not just about that.  Has anyone there spoken to you?  Gotten to know you?  At all?

Just about everybody has spoken to me and gotten to know me.  I have been invited to Wednesday Night Bible Studies, as well as Men's Prayer Breakfast on the 3rd Sunday of each month before Sunday School.

I haven't been to either of those activities, yet, but I have also been invited to help decorate the sanctuary for Christmas on Saturday, December 1 and attend a Christmas Banquet on Thursday evening, December 6.  I do plan to go to both events.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

Afternoon snack? My mind boggles... why would you put something so sugar and calorie heavy first thing in the morning. Cereal? Fruit? Eggs?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

Afternoon snack? My mind boggles... why would you put something so sugar and calorie heavy first thing in the morning. Cereal? Fruit? Eggs?

I don't know about Australia, but in America, donuts are considered a breakfast food.  It is full of sugar and calories and is a diet killer.  That's why for most people it is considered a special occasion to have donuts.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

lol
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »

So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

I'm going to defend Bushie on this one.  Donuts in the morning isn't that unheard of.  It's more typical if you're at a meeting or something similar where they serve coffee and donuts than it would be in the home, but it's not that extreme.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

I'm going to defend Bushie on this one.  Donuts in the morning isn't that unheard of.  It's more typical if you're at a meeting or something similar where they serve coffee and donuts than it would be in the home, but it's not that extreme.

Fair point, just for us, donuts would NEVER be considered a breakfast food. It's far too full on. Something with coffee for a morning meeting... maybe. But that's different... 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?

I do have options, but again, I'm not going to drop this church just because they didn't invite me over for a meal.

I didn't buy anything that requires a recipe, but mostly things to heat up in the oven such as frozen pizza or frozen burritos.  I know that's not healthy, but I've already got down on my next Walmart list to get stuff for spaghetti.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?

I do have options, but again, I'm not going to drop this church just because they didn't invite me over for a meal.

I didn't buy anything that requires a recipe, but mostly things to heat up in the oven such as frozen pizza or frozen burritos.  I know that's not healthy, but I've already got down on my next Walmart list to get stuff for spaghetti.

You know how cheap turkey is?  Not exactly that labor intensive either. Enough of the learned helplessness bull$hit.   Happy Thanksgiving.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »

Donuts? for breakfast?

Along those lines, one of the oddest experiences I had while in Glasgow was when I asked for a donut at breakfast-time and the cashier said "we're out, but we do have candy" :S  Candy is not an acceptable substitute for a donut, particularly when it's absolutely not a candy time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

Ah, well, you know. Scotland. At least he didn't offer to deep fry it in batter for you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »

I'm not saying you shoulde leave the church, just that finding another one isn't as hard as you're saying.

And spaghetti really isn't making you own meal unless you're making your own sauce (and/or meatballs).  Boiling pasta and adding sauce is not hard.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies