Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141082 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

One thing I would personally suggest. Don't weigh yourself daily. There's a good deal of fluctuation in a matter of hours depending on when your last meal was....how much water you've had to drink....etc.

I always disagreed with that advice - I found that weighing myself daily and charting it helped, because you can see a pattern through the fluctuations.  Only weighing yourself weekly can lead to you not seeing the whole picture, which can lead to you failing to lose weight.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »

No way you can handle that, so in all seriousness, go for the walks for 45 mins to an hour a day, and keep at it.  Perhaps mix in some working out with dumbbells or jogging through a portion of the walk (starting off slow)

Considering his activity level is pretty much at 0, I think walking alone is enough of an upgrade.  Adding dumbbells and jogging give him more reason to put it off and quit.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »

I haven't gone walking, yet, as I took a nap from 2:30-5:30 this afternoon and I still have two loads of laundry left to wash.  I still plan to get out there tonight for at least 30 minutes just to get started.  Right now, while my laundry is washing, I did just fix a small homemade pizza.  Its only 440 calories and is in the oven right now.  I thought about fixing a second small pizza, but I thought better of it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »

I think Ive been over this before but I'll try again. Because of a variety of factors, I put on a lot of weight steadily over the last years and it really piled up.  Since the new year I took off about 125 lbs and going.  I know first hand hat it can be hard getting started. My suggestions are 1. buy a digital food scale. 2. weigh your portions. 3. keep a spreadsheet with how many  calories you ate and how much exercise you have done for the day. 4. share that spreadsheet and make goals/competition with a loved one. Have someone keep you accountable- this forum doesnt seem to work. 5. Find an exercise or activity that you can do and will stick to. For me it was a recumbent exercise bike- I could do it in all weather, could watch netflix/read forum, listen to music etc etc and it was easy on knees, feet and back.  I steadily got more active and added weights and other activities to mix it up as I went along.

With your obsessive type posting style, Id think you would be really good at keeping that excel spreadsheet. You have to want it though. It will make your life much easier and quality of life better being fit. It is hard lugging around all that extra baggage on your skeleton. I obviously had some of the same motivation struggles that you are going through or else why would I have gotten so out of shape. Feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions. 

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

I haven't gone walking, yet, as I took a nap from 2:30-5:30 this afternoon and I still have two loads of laundry left to wash.  I still plan to get out there tonight for at least 30 minutes just to get started.  Right now, while my laundry is washing, I did just fix a small homemade pizza.  Its only 440 calories and is in the oven right now.  I thought about fixing a second small pizza, but I thought better of it.

You know what you could have done while the laundry was washing?

Walk.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

I just put the last load into the wash, so I'm going to go walking for about 30 minutes.  Its cold outside, high 30s, right now, but I do have a coat.  I'll see you in a little while.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »

I just got back from walking nearly 2.5 miles (40 minutes).  I walked to work and back.  Work is 1.25 miles from my apartment.  I am exhausted and completely out of breath.  I will be sore by morning.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »

Good! Don't forget to stretch.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: November 24, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »

Will do!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #409 on: November 24, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »

Well then my apologies for misreading what you said.

Here's a guide on how many calories you need to maintain weight (meaning to lose, you need to eat less than the magic number).  I'm guessing you fall somewhere between the first and second one:

You exercise: Almost never
Multiply your current weight by: 12

You exercise: Lightly, one to three days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 13.5

You exercise: Moderately, three to five days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 15.5

You exercise: Vigorously, six to seven days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 17

You exercise: Vigorously, daily, and you have a physical job
Multiply your current weight by: 19

I had a grand total of a little shy of 2,500 calories today.  My current weight is 270 as of this morning.  Using your formula for almost never exercising, I should stay under 3,200 calories - (270 * 12).  I went well south of that goal, plus I walked 2.5 miles or 40 minutes worth.  There should be no reason I come down some tomorrow morning.  One thing I have to remember is that I will probably lose a bunch right up front and then level off later on and maybe even have a day or two with a net gain in weight.  I think that leveling off is what caused me to quit last February.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #410 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »

Here's a guide on how many calories you need to maintain weight (meaning to lose, you need to eat less than the magic number).  I'm guessing you fall somewhere between the first and second one:

You exercise: Almost never
Multiply your current weight by: 12

You exercise: Lightly, one to three days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 13.5

You exercise: Moderately, three to five days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 15.5

You exercise: Vigorously, six to seven days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 17

You exercise: Vigorously, daily, and you have a physical job
Multiply your current weight by: 19

Just how loose a guide is this? It's telling me that I need to consume <1500 calories per day to maintain my current weight if I maintain my current exercise regime.

I mean, it's not exact, but when I was wrestling, our coach said multiply by 17, which matches up with this.  Which exercise category did you fall under?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #411 on: November 25, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

I just got back from walking nearly 2.5 miles (40 minutes).  I walked to work and back.  Work is 1.25 miles from my apartment.  I am exhausted and completely out of breath.  I will be sore by morning.

Congrats.  I guarantee you after any soreness heals you'll be able to do that same walk with much less effort. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #412 on: November 25, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »

Good for you! Smiley

When I was out in Utah, I was more motivated to walk and get outdoors - the air is much cleaner, and there's always pretty scenery to look at.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #413 on: November 25, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »

Almost never. I have a desk job and a car, I don't have a weight set or a gym membership, and I rarely walk anywhere between late October and mid-April.

Well then if you only weigh 125 pounds, yeah, you only need about 1,500 calories a day.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: November 25, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »

Congrats.  I guarantee you after any soreness heals you'll be able to do that same walk with much less effort. 

I plan to get out there again Monday evening before MNF and walk about 40 minutes.

I'm not as sore right now except in my ankles.  I feel good, though, about walking and consuming only about 2,700 calories when its all said and done.  I did have a couple bowls of Crispix cereal this evening as a little snack, but I still came out roughly 500 calories shy of my target.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #415 on: November 25, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »

***JEFF READ THIS***

Jeffy, when you go to walmart next, look for the Healthy Choice meals in the frozen food area. They are usually under 3 bucks each, and almost all of them are under 400 calories.. most of the ones I get are about 300 calories. They are cheap, filling, and surprisingly tasty. I usually buy about 2 or 3 of them when I go shopping, just so when I don't feel like cooking something for dinner, I have a good alternate to eating out. They all come with veggies too.

Are they they best meals? No... not as healthy as making your own meal, but it's better than burritos and frozen pizzas.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #416 on: November 25, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #417 on: November 25, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Bushie should be aiming for 2000 calories or so.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

Today, I weigh 269.6 which is a loss of 0.6 lbs. Water weight to be sure.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #419 on: November 25, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.

Yeah, Bushie, I don't know what formula Inks is using but there's no way that you can be eating 3,200 calories a day and lose weight.

Try to aim for around 2,000 a day. At your weight that's a fairly reasonable goal which'll allow you to keep your weight down while still feeling satiated.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »

Finding healthy food in Salt Lake City really should not be remotely difficult.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

It says for Maintenance, I need in the ballpark of 2,975 calories.  For Fat Loss, in the vicinity of 2,400 calories and extreme fat loss just over 2,100.  This is with 3 days/week exercise which is what I plan on doing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »

Interesting note, if I add an extra day per week to my exercise from 3 days to 4 days, it buys me an extra 80-100 calories a day.

Right now, I am sitting at 1,100 calories today.  I may get out and walk about 15 minutes a little later on.  Nothing much, but something to keep me active.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »

Interesting note, if I add an extra day per week to my exercise from 3 days to 4 days, it buys me an extra 80-100 calories a day.

With that kind of outlook, Bushie, you won't get anywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies