Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 27, 2020, 09:52:14 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TæxasGurl, TJ in Oregon, YE)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 89811 times)
MasterJedi
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 03, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »

Why would one need to "turn up" or down heat. Don't you guys have automatic thermostats? Extremely standard equipment where I live.

He means he say set the heat at 60 degrees and the furnance will regulate that temp all the time he has the heat on and set at that temp. But he feels it's too cold so he's wondering if he should turn it up to 65. It's pretty common termonology outside the south.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1201 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:17 pm »

Why would one need to "turn up" or down heat. Don't you guys have automatic thermostats? Extremely standard equipment where I live.

He means he say set the heat at 60 degrees and the furnance will regulate that temp all the time he has the heat on and set at that temp. But he feels it's too cold so he's wondering if he should turn it up to 65. It's pretty common termonology outside the south.

Actually, I have the heater set to 73.  It is a little cool in this room, so I may bump it up to 74-75.  I don't pay the utilities in this apartment, so I don't have to worry too much about excess energy.  I'm not going to abuse it, naturally, but I don't have to watch it like a hawk.

Oh, and remember, I'm from Oklahoma and while that's not exactly the "South", its close enough especially when it comes to climate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.09

« Reply #1202 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:44 pm »

I would allow Inks to drink with us if he promised not to give us any death points for posts made after our excursions.

I strongly disapprove of posting under the influence. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1203 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:51 pm »

Actually, I have the heater set to 73.  It is a little cool in this room, so I may bump it up to 74-75.  I don't pay the utilities in this apartment, so I don't have to worry too much about excess energy.  I'm not going to abuse it, naturally, but I don't have to watch it like a hawk.

Oh, and remember, I'm from Oklahoma and while that's not exactly the "South", its close enough especially when it comes to climate.

I'm uncomfortable higher than 67 (only when it's a heater, obviously not in the summer), mainly due to difficulty breathing.  I'm most comfortable around 62.  I can't imagine 73, let alone 75.  Your energy bill has to be HUGE.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1204 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »

As for the incest... can you draw us a chart of the relationship?  I can never get these stupid second cousin-twice-removed crap things figured out.  Too freaking complicated.

A chart is too complicated.  Here's a quick rundown of the relevant relationships (with made up names):

Bushie & Bob = third cousins (that is, they have one set of great grandparents in common…..and thus 1/128th of their DNA is the same)
Bob & Alice = married
Alice & Charles = sister/brother
Charles & Susan = married
Bushie & Susan = formerly engaged

Thus Bushie is "related" to his former fiancee Susan if you use a somewhat preposterous definition of being related.  You have to go through two marriages to get the relation.  By that definition, and by the loose relations involved here, going back three generations to include third cousins, each of us is probably related to hundreds of thousands of people alive today.

The only person in the above list who's a blood relative of Bushie is Bob (again, a name I invented since I don't know the real name), and a distant blood relative at that.

Nope... you lost me.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1205 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:38 pm »

Kinda funny how Bushie seemed amused and excited by the fact that he may have committed incest. I guess that sort of thing is not a big deal in Oklahoma though. 

I'm amused, because there's nothing I can do about it now!  I told my ex-fiancee' last night that I'm sure glad this didn't come out during or just after our engagement (which was the middle of the last decade).  That could have been VERY embarrassing!  I've asked for forgiveness from the Lord if I've done anything amiss, but I'm not distraught by it.  The thing is we had no idea at the time nor for 6 years after the engagement ended.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1206 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »

I got it... and this if this is right, in no way are they anywhere remotely related.  That's not incest...

Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1207 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:01 pm »

What a failed plot twist...
memphis
YaBB God

« Reply #1208 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:29 pm »

I still don't understand why a thermostat would need to be set to a hgher temp just because it's colder outside. We all have an ideal temp, perhaps influenced by a desire to keep heating costs low, but a temp we are shooting for nonetheless. Why does the outside temp matter at all? I don't make my house any cooler on a 95 degree day than I do on an 85 defree day.the machine may have to work harder but I don't have to do anything.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

« Reply #1209 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:27 pm »

I'm just going to act like that whole incest scare didn't happen from here on.
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1210 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »

There's too much Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in this thread and not enough Hamlet.
patrick1
YaBB God

« Reply #1211 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »

I still don't understand why a thermostat would need to be set to a hgher temp just because it's colder outside. We all have an ideal temp, perhaps influenced by a desire to keep heating costs low, but a temp we are shooting for nonetheless. Why does the outside temp matter at all? I don't make my house any cooler on a 95 degree day than I do on an 85 defree day.the machine may have to work harder but I don't have to do anything.

It depends, if you have a larger house or a ah less than ideal HVAC system certain parts of the house will get cooler or warmer than others. If you have drafts, you may also need to turn up further on windy days.
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1212 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »

There's too much Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in this thread and not enough Hamlet.

Hopefully it ends the same way.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1213 on: January 03, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »

Hopefully it ends the same way.

Its not going to end anytime soon.  I'm already thinking about the title for Season 5 when Season 4 reaches 2,000 posts...

Oh, and its just not any cold out there.  Current temperature at 19:30 MST - 8 degrees, WCI -2.
MasterJedi
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1214 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »

The temp is relative, sometimes you can feel colder then you normally would at a certain temperate just because. If you're sick or just wearing more or less cold you might want to set the temp at a different setting to accomodate for it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1215 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:39 pm »

The temp is relative, sometimes you can feel colder then you normally would at a certain temperate just because. If you're sick or just wearing more or less cold you might want to set the temp at a different setting to accomodate for it.

Exactly, If I'm cold, I don't care about my bill, I'll turn the heat up.  Subsequently in the summer, if I'm hot, I'll turn the a/c down regardless of the bill.
MasterJedi
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1216 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »

Exactly, If I'm cold, I don't care about my bill, I'll turn the heat up.  Subsequently in the summer, if I'm hot, I'll turn the a/c down regardless of the bill.

That's just as stupid, why waste more money then you need to? The temp doesn't need to be over 65 for anyone to be comfortable. Anything more and the bill starts to spike quite a bit. Though I thought you said you didn't pay for utilities, but now you do? If you don't pay for it though, screw it crank the thing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1217 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:30 pm »

That's just as stupid, why waste more money then you need to? The temp doesn't need to be over 65 for anyone to be comfortable. Anything more and the bill starts to spike quite a bit. Though I thought you said you didn't pay for utilities, but now you do? If you don't pay for it though, screw it crank the thing.

I don't pay for it now, but I did in the house in OKC.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
YaBB God

« Reply #1218 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:09 pm »

It's currently 55 in my apartment, and I'm happy with that. I usually kept my house at 65 before I moved.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1219 on: January 03, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »

I just cranked the heat up to 75.  My body is just cold right now.  I'm not sure if its because its 9 degrees outside or I'm just fatigued.  Its probably the former or a combination of the two.
memphis
YaBB God

« Reply #1220 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »

Eww. 75 is disgusting! I guess if you're sick, you may need it a little warmer to compensate, but other than that I still say the temperature outside doesn't matter one iota. If you're inside, you're inside. As for drafts, why not do something about them rather than raising the thermostat? I duct tape all my window shut during the winter. I also just happened to have put on some weather stripping to the back door because a lot of heat was getting out in the small gap between the door and the floor. I'm the least handy person ever. This stuff is easy.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1221 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »

Really wish the whole incest thing didn't die out so quickly, this temperature conversation is boring as hell.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1222 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:08 pm »

Eww. 75 is disgusting! I guess if you're sick, you may need it a little warmer to compensate, but other than that I still say the temperature outside doesn't matter one iota. If you're inside, you're inside. As for drafts, why not do something about them rather than raising the thermostat? I duct tape all my window shut during the winter. I also just happened to have put on some weather stripping to the back door because a lot of heat was getting out in the small gap between the door and the floor. I'm the least handy person ever. This stuff is easy.

The problem is, my apartment is brand new, I'm the first resident in the apartment and there are absolutely no drafts in either outside door.  Plus, I'm next to the building's laundry room so its even warmer than usual.  I haven't had to have my heat on a whole lot this fall/winter, yet, but the past few days I have been.  The thing about my heater is its perfectly quiet.  You only know its working because the temperature in the room gets warmer.  The coils under the floor heat up and allow the heat to rise in the room, pushing the cold air to the ceiling.  My heater makes absolutely no noise, whatsoever.
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1223 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »

Really wish the whole incest thing didn't die out so quickly, this temperature conversation is boring as hell.

Really wish it was an actually incest scenario instead of whatever the hell it actually turned out to be.
memphis
YaBB God

« Reply #1224 on: January 03, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »

The problem is, my apartment is brand new, I'm the first resident in the apartment and there are absolutely no drafts in either outside door.  Plus, I'm next to the building's laundry room so its even warmer than usual.  I haven't had to have my heat on a whole lot this fall/winter, yet, but the past few days I have been.  The thing about my heater is its perfectly quiet.  You only know its working because the temperature in the room gets warmer.  The coils under the floor heat up and allow the heat to rise in the room, pushing the cold air to the ceiling.  My heater makes absolutely no noise, whatsoever.
Nothing you said is a problem. A new apartment sounds lovely. And a quiet heater is great. Why would you want a demon furnace? A few years back BRTD mentioned that the heat in his old dumpy building couldn't keep up with the Minnesota cold. That is a problem. I also am not following you on the "pushing the cold air to the ceiling thing." Hot air always rises. But if your utilities are included, by all means, make yourself as cozy as you like. No need to scrimp on somebody else's dime.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies