Republicans heavily overperforming in Ohio early voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Republicans heavily overperforming in Ohio early voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans heavily overperforming in Ohio early voting  (Read 2738 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/18/republicans-point-to-early-vote-gains-in-ohio/

In Cuyahoga, Republicans only make up about 12% of registered voters. Ballot numbers through Tuesday of this week, however, signal that almost 22% of early voters in Cuyahoga are Republican.

GOP officials, though, say their absentee and in-person voting turnout in Franklin is coming along nicely. Republicans account for just 16.5% of registered voters in the county, but make up 28.6% of early voting activity so far.

Early vote numbers in key counties like Lucas, Hamilton, Butler, Clermont and Warren tell a similar story.

Good news for Mr. Romney.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

oh god, not this again.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »

And yet EVERY credible pollster has Romney down and gaining nada in Ohio.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »

Just stop. This has gone beyond ridiculous.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

That happens when you release skewed polls that don't line up with the facts on the ground.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »

That happens when you release skewed polls that don't line up with the facts on the ground.

go to unskewed polls then..not here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »

Because of the way OH treats party registration, the numbers are not as impressive as they look.  That said, there probably is an increase in the percentage of the electorate that is R over 2008.  I don't know how much, but I'd guess about 2-4 points.

Is that reflected in the polls?  I don't know. 
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

Is rassy skewed? I thought the righties  swore by him.
wan
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/18/republicans-point-to-early-vote-gains-in-ohio/

In Cuyahoga, Republicans only make up about 12% of registered voters. Ballot numbers through Tuesday of this week, however, signal that almost 22% of early voters in Cuyahoga are Republican.

GOP officials, though, say their absentee and in-person voting turnout in Franklin is coming along nicely. Republicans account for just 16.5% of registered voters in the county, but make up 28.6% of early voting activity so far.

Early vote numbers in key counties like Lucas, Hamilton, Butler, Clermont and Warren tell a similar story.

Good news for Mr. Romney.

if you going to tell the story, tell the whole story.

Republicans point to early vote gains in Ohio

Posted by
CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby
Middleburg Heights, Ohio (CNN) - They got smoked in the early voting game in 2008, but this time around Republicans are closing the gap with Democrats.

Most observers here expect the early vote to tilt toward President Barack Obama, as it did in 2008. The Obama campaign has worked overtime to get their supporters to vote early and successfully sued the Ohio secretary of state to keep early voting locations open through the weekend preceding Election Day.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Since early and absentee voting began on October 2, more than 1.4 million Ohio voters have voted or requested an absentee ballot. Almost a third of Ohio voted early in 2008, and Democrats expect that number to be even higher in 2012.

But Republicans have polished their early vote operation since 2008.

Four years ago, Democrats made up about 42% of the early and absentee vote while Republicans made up 22% - a dismal 20-point deficit that contributed to Sen. John McCain's defeat in Ohio.

Through Wednesday, however, the margin has narrowed: Democrats account for 36% of the early and absentee vote while Republicans make up for 29%.

Republicans are outperforming their voter registration in several of the state's biggest counties.

For instance, through Wednesday in Cuyahoga County, the largest county in the state and home to Democrat-heavy Cleveland, nearly a quarter million absentee ballots have been requested and some 80,000 have been returned. Those numbers strongly favor Democrats: 47,538 to 16,720 for Republicans. About 15,000 listed no party affiliation.

Franklin County - which encompasses Columbus - trails Cuyahoga in absentee ballot requests but leads the state in the number of early in-person voters, according to the Columbus Dispatch. Registered Democrats voting early outnumbered Republicans by a 4-1 margin, the paper reported Thursday.

Additionally, a Republican National Committee source told CNN that among early voters not identifying with any party, RNC modeling has tagged 30.5% as Romney supporters and 24.9% as Obama supporters.

If correct, that gives the GOP a 5.6-point edge among unaffiliated early and absentee voters.

Ohio Democrats wave off the Republican boasting, and not without good reason.

Voters in Ohio do not register by party in traditional fashion. Instead, voters are only identified as Republican or Democrat based on their participation in a primary, making it difficult to know just where early vote sympathies lie.

Republicans had a competitive presidential primary earlier this year. Democrats did not. Is it possible someone that a Democrat in Toledo registered as a Republican to vote for Romney over Rick Santorum last March, but is now supporting Obama? Absolutely. But this hypothetical Obama supporter's absentee ballot would be marked Republican.

The bottom line: Few in either party question the Obama campaign's sophisticated ground game and most expect Democrats to bank a ton of votes before Election Day. But Republicans have vastly improved their turnout effort in Ohio from the dog days of October 2008.

SirMuxALot

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

Bah, next I suppose you're going to tell us the outcome of the election will be decided by actual votes?  C'mon, the polls are science.  You can't argue with science.  They're more scientific than actual votes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

The 2012 forum is insufferable. I decided to post here recently and I'm already taking blood pressure medicine as a result.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »

The 2012 forum is insufferable. I decided to post here recently and I'm already taking blood pressure medicine as a result.

I agree... I'm thinking if we starve trolls and nutjobs from both sides, they might disappear from lack of attention.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »

I agree... I'm thinking if we starve trolls and nutjobs from both sides, they might disappear from lack of attention.

This is the first year I've experienced both sides blatantly disregarding facts that are right in front of them.

As for this thread: Republicans ALWAYS vote early. The fact they are this year means nothing except this will likely be a close election, a fact we already knew.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

go to unskewed polls then..not here.

This is not a poll. This is a count of votes.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Because of the way OH treats party registration, the numbers are not as impressive as they look.  That said, there probably is an increase in the percentage of the electorate that is R over 2008.  I don't know how much, but I'd guess about 2-4 points.

Yes, that's true. Suffice to say it is likely that Romney will get the vast bulk of the vote that voted in the GOP primary this year. That itself gets him 22% in the most Democratic county in the state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

Yes, that's true. Suffice to say it is likely that Romney will get the vast bulk of the vote that voted in the GOP primary this year. That itself gets him 22% in the most Democratic county in the state.

I think that is pretty much the case and that the OH electorate will be more favorable to Romney than it was to McCain.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »

Romney will win Ohio by 3+
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »

....lolno
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

LoL...not gonna happen, no matter how hard Husted tries to steal it!
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »

the firewall is more like a paper wall.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »

All this tells me is to expect less Republicans to show up in those two counties on Election Day as most have already voted.

Romney's in a real Catch-22 on early voting.  Obama used in 2008 to protect his victory and make sure that something late couldn't swing the election back to McCain as votes were already cast.   Romney could try to lock in his momentum right here with something similar, but at the same time, promotion of easy voting would drive up youth and minority turnout against him.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »

Bah, next I suppose you're going to tell us the outcome of the election will be decided by actual votes?  C'mon, the polls are science.  You can't argue with science.  They're more scientific than actual votes.

SCIENCE

NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »

The citizens of bulls#!t mountain seem to have came to the Atlas forum.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 02:10:29 AM »

the firewall is more like a paper wall.

And yet Romney can't seem to grab a lead in Ohio no matter what.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies