cost of living in Lapland?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  cost of living in Lapland?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: cost of living in Lapland?  (Read 5335 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

if I had say an $800k-$1m inheritance would I be able to live with minimal or no employment in Lapland? 

what sort of access would I have to a social wage?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

if I had say an $800k-$1m inheritance would I be able to live with minimal or no employment in Lapland? 

No, it's a Nordic country, probably more expensive than USA, except maybe for some cities.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »

Depends on what kind of living standard you expect and how good you are at money management. But property prices are very low in rural Northern Sweden and Finland and you would be able to supplement your food budget with fishing and low cost hunting, so yes, its definetly possible. You would be able to buy a small bit of forest too, so you would have wood for a stove.
I am not sure what you mean by a social wage.
Norway is more expensive than the other two countries.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »

welfare state (assuming resident non-citizen status)

you think I'd be better off in remote Sweden/Norway?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »

not with a private fortune that big. 

I have no idea if you would be better off. Wouldnt you have the same options in remote areas of the US?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

what if I hid it all in cash and gold under the mattress?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »

I have no idea if you would be better off. Wouldnt you have the same options in remote areas of the US?
You see there are healthcare costs. Also tweed should consider energy costs.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

I have no idea if you would be better off. Wouldn't you have the same options in remote areas of the US?
You see there are healthcare costs. Also tweed should consider energy costs.
The difference in health care costs are partly offset by the difference in taxation on the interests of his fortune and/or income from shares, that's why I asked about his thoughts on money management. Besides healthcare is no longer completely free for foreigners, at least not in Sweden.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

Better off going to Thailand.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »

Eastern Europe, better -- the fantasy of taking the 16 year old peasant girl straight off the farm.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

Eastern Europe, better -- the fantasy of taking the 16 year old peasant girl straight off the farm.

how do you get her to lose the restraint?  a frightening number of heterosexual relationships are not partnerships between equals, I learn this every day canvassing, and the nature of this particular fantasy would only serve to exacerbate the effect.

say everything works out: I get my $1m, hide it sufficently to keep it from governments and whoever else, and 'acquire' a reverse-mail-order bride, call her Alicja.  she's a virgin, of course, or at least that is what I am sold and I make no move to falsify it.  everything goes well, I'm in backwoods Poland, cheap vodka reigns, the world-weary bearded Tweed and Alicja, who went from 100-hour weeks of backbreaking labor to this strange life of leisure in no-time.

...I see her as timid, avoiding my glance, blushing furiously.  so anxiety-ridden she can't boil pasta correctly.  always willing to give in to my advances, but never daring to initiate any of her own... what I would do, for just that once!  for Alicia, to desire me, not to need me, but to desire me!  and to draw her ire in a matter!  when I cross her, for her to call me on it!  for her to be FURIOUS at me, the man who saved her from a life of anonymous ruin!  and then to cuddle with her after we've made-up, to see a tired, satisfied, knowing and calm gleam emanating from her eyes, knowing she has something on me, too...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:14 AM »

Tweed, are you arguing with yourself?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »

how do you get her to lose the restraint?  a frightening number of heterosexual relationships are not partnerships between equals, I learn this every day canvassing, and the nature of this particular fantasy would only serve to exacerbate the effect.

say everything works out: I get my $1m, hide it sufficently to keep it from governments and whoever else, and 'acquire' a reverse-mail-order bride, call her Alicja.  she's a virgin, of course, or at least that is what I am sold and I make no move to falsify it.  everything goes well, I'm in backwoods Poland, cheap vodka reigns, the world-weary bearded Tweed and Alicja, who went from 100-hour weeks of backbreaking labor to this strange life of leisure in no-time.

...I see her as timid, avoiding my glance, blushing furiously.  so anxiety-ridden she can't boil pasta correctly.  always willing to give in to my advances, but never daring to initiate any of her own... what I would do, for just that once!  for Alicia, to desire me, not to need me, but to desire me!  and to draw her ire in a matter!  when I cross her, for her to call me on it!  for her to be FURIOUS at me, the man who saved her from a life of anonymous ruin!  and then to cuddle with her after we've made-up, to see a tired, satisfied, knowing and calm gleam emanating from her eyes, knowing she has something on me, too...

Sorry to burst the bubble, but you don't import wives from Poland, it isn't sufficiently anti-capitalist and anti-imperialist to develop the level of poverty and inequality required for such an industry to flourish. Russia or the Ukraine are better bets.

That is, on the other hand, common. Lapland is filled with sad and lonely men, left behind by women who go to university and move to the cities. Those men often import wives from East Asia or Eastern Europe. So you'd fit right in.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 07:37:44 AM »

How typical of a Stockholmer to show distain for rural Sweden. Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

Sorry to burst the bubble, but you don't import wives from Poland, it isn't sufficiently anti-capitalist and anti-imperialist to develop the level of poverty and inequality required for such an industry to flourish. Russia or the Ukraine are better bets.

That is, on the other hand, common. Lapland is filled with sad and lonely men, left behind by women who go to university and move to the cities. Those men often import wives from East Asia or Eastern Europe. So you'd fit right in.

the idea of Russia, ground zero of shock therapy, as anti-capitalist, is amusing, but regardless!  thanks for the advice.  a shift from Poland to Ukraine does nothing to alter the essence of my story.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:02 AM »

I like Tweed's tale, and as usual Gustaf has no idea what he's talking about.

I see your point Tweed, if you prefer the whites you'd be better off in eastern Europe (though technically they're Slavs, not sure if that is a 'white' in the strictest sense, but whatever). 

However, if your fantasy is about some girl in poverty/backbreaking labor, I think you'll find those all over the United States, if you just look around.  Perhaps your Romantic Tourism can be accomplished at the Wendy's Drive Through just as easily as in the lapland.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

what if I hid it all in cash and gold under the mattress?

In that case they wouldn't let you in.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

I see your point Tweed, if you prefer the whites you'd be better off in eastern Europe (though technically they're Slavs, not sure if that is a 'white' in the strictest sense, but whatever). 

However, if your fantasy is about some girl in poverty/backbreaking labor, I think you'll find those all over the United States, if you just look around.  Perhaps your Romantic Tourism can be accomplished at the Wendy's Drive Through just as easily as in the lapland.

but the grease-soaked American versions are all fat and incapable of abstract thought.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »

With all due respect, I know how to import wives into my own country.

Johan, I'm not hating on Skåne (I have a separate set of prejudices for you guys!). Don't be such a Centerpartist about looking down on rural people. Wink

Tweed, though this is not about politics, considering Russia to be capitalist is quite amusing. A country where the state will imprison the wealthy in order to seize their assets is not a free market society, nor anything close to it.

Regardless, you want to exploit the poor without asking questions about where they come from. I can respect that as long as you don't pretend to have any kind of social conscience about it. That's when it becomes offensive and forces me to mock it. If you and Opebo could be honest about being evil reactionaries I wouldn't give you such a hard time, you know.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

I don't consider this a 'hard time', I consider it to be a soundboard, part of a dialogue.  I was glad you commented on the vignette.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

Johan, I'm not hating on Skåne (I have a separate set of prejudices for you guys!). Don't be such a Centerpartist about looking down on rural people. Wink

Tweed, though this is not about politics, considering Russia to be capitalist is quite amusing. A country where the state will imprison the wealthy in order to seize their assets is not a free market society, nor anything close to it.

Regardless, you want to exploit the poor without asking questions about where they come from. I can respect that as long as you don't pretend to have any kind of social conscience about it. That's when it becomes offensive and forces me to mock it. If you and Opebo could be honest about being evil reactionaries I wouldn't give you such a hard time, you know.
Most pure capitalism neoliberalism requires lack of democracy/proper judicial system, so there is no inconsistency.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »

Most pure capitalism neoliberalism requires lack of democracy/proper judicial system, so there is no inconsistency.

while we could turn this into a full-fledged doctrinal war with Gustaf, that was not the intent of my thread here and the issues are sure to pop up elsewhere, so may we cease and desist...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »

Why would you live in Lapland of all places when you could live in Minnesota ?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »

Why would you live in Lapland of all places when you could live in Minnesota ?

Asked and answered, tenderB:

but the grease-soaked American versions are all fat and incapable of abstract thought.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »

You are one up on me there, horndog.  But the ignorance to which I referred was your characterization of other countries, and the economic policies which lead to this that and the other thing.   

If you and Opebo could be honest about being evil reactionaries I wouldn't give you such a hard time, you know.

No one feels you're 'giving us a hard time', Gustaf.  You're just revealing your comical delusions. We quite enjoy it. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies