If Obama hadn't butchered the first debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Obama hadn't butchered the first debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Obama hadn't butchered the first debate  (Read 376 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »

So if Obama hadn't look like a senior citizen on valium in the first debate, and instead had pulled in a performance more like the one in the second debate, what then? Let's say that both of the debates had been classic "ties" with reps favouring Romney, dems favouring Obama and independents splitting more or less down the middle.

What then?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not totally convinced that it was Obamas poor performance that was the REAL game changer.

I believe the real game changer was Romney appearing as a viable candidate. During the GOP campaign Romney was mocked for not being able to close the deal in a historically weak field. During the summer he made a fool of himself on his tour of Europe and basically let the Obama campaign define him. Also the dem convention was far more persuasive than the GOP convention.

All of this meant that Romney both had trouble uniting the base and trouble looking like a viable candidate to independents. Hence a solid Obama lead in the polls despite the fact that it would be extremely tough for any president to get reelected in this economic climate.

The first debate changed that. Romney didn't look like a scary prospect for voters. He looked typcally "presidential", had command of his message and spoke coherently and forcefully.

That was the game changer. Despite the fact that I thought Obama won the second debate pretty conprehensively, it didn't really affect the polls because the real damage had been done in the first.

My guess is, that if both debates had been legitimate "ties" much of what I described would still have been happening. I think Obama would still have been ahead, but Romney would have been within striking distance.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »

I heard Obama was sick on the first debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »

There were already some signs of the race tightening before the first debate anyway.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »

I heard Obama was sick on the first debate.

Where?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

Agreed. Romney showed himself to be a viable candidate and that was enough for him to soar from Santorum levels to Generic Republican competitiveness.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »

If you look at the RCP average of polls, Romney really started surging around September 29th as the 47% comment wore off. The debate just put fuel on the fire and gave the media an excuse to say the debate closed the gap.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »

If only Barack hadn't forgotten the wedding anniversary!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies