Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:48:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan.  (Read 3652 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

Hmmm... specifically (Southern) Irish... off the top of my head I can only think of battles they're fighting with each other Cheesy . They were quite late within Western Europe to legalize gay civil unions, of course, but even that happened in 2010. Note that nowhere that introduced them (or marriage), even when it was the Left that passed the laws against the Right's opposition and the Right later returned to Government, any but the fringest parts of the Right have shown the slightest interest in turning back the tide.
But just look at the German school system and the battles we're still fighting routinely. Or of course the Spanish Conservatives' attitudes towards the regional nationalisms. Etc.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

Mr. True Conservative: I think it's more likely that the USA is so far-right.

Perhaps. I certainly don't think that way, but I understand why you do.

Of course, we're probably both biased.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »

Hmmm... specifically (Southern) Irish... off the top of my head I can only think of battles they're fighting with each other Cheesy . They were quite late within Western Europe to legalize gay civil unions, of course, but even that happened in 2010. Note that nowhere that introduced them (or marriage), even when it was the Left that passed the laws against the Right's opposition and the Right later returned to Government, any but the fringest parts of the Right have shown the slightest interest in turning back the tide.
But just look at the German school system and the battles we're still fighting routinely. Or of course the Spanish Conservatives' attitudes towards the regional nationalisms. Etc.

Ah, ok, I get you now. In Irish context a better example would be attempts to create a land/property tax and stricter zoning restrictions, up until the crisis they had been rather successful (still are on certain issues)

Of course what is unusual about the US right is the extent they have tried to turn back the tide on certain issues (known absurdly "social issues" in the US), which is surely related to the way these debates developed in the 60s and 70s. I think if you compared the US right and the European right in the 60s you would not think there was a huge difference (the Left would be another matter though..)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

Are you on drugs?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »

And here I was laboring under the impression that the Polish still liked Republicans, on account of being anti-Communist and heavily Catholic.

This is a very simplistic and, quite frankly, stupid perception.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »

Every election cycle the democrats haul out this completely irrelevant piece of news. What is really suspect is how many of these countries are governed by right of centre parties, leading one to conclude that if mitt Romney was the leader of their own country's right wing party he would be faring much better in these "polls". Even here in Alberta Obama gets 46% of the vote to romney's 19% and we have had conservatives in power here since 1971 & by large margins too (even our official opposition here is conservative). Doesn't make any sense.

This really only goes back to the George W. Bush years. George H. Bush probably would have won a worldwide vote in 1988, and almost certainly would have in 1992.
Link
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »

Every election cycle the democrats haul out this completely irrelevant piece of news. What is really suspect is how many of these countries are governed by right of centre parties, leading one to conclude that if mitt Romney was the leader of their own country's right wing party he would be faring much better in these "polls". Even here in Alberta Obama gets 46% of the vote to romney's 19% and we have had conservatives in power here since 1971 & by large margins too (even our official opposition here is conservative). Doesn't make any sense.

This really only goes back to the George W. Bush years. George H. Bush probably would have won a worldwide vote in 1988, and almost certainly would have in 1992.

no.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

No one loves old white rich men from America except old white rich men from America.

Good thing we got a lot of those guys.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »

no.

No, no way... Maybe Gerald Ford in 1976 though at the latest, but then Ford was running against the sort of evangelical christian (actually a man who was much more of an evangelical then any of the Presidents who have since followed him) who has almost zero cultural resonance in most parts of Europe - never mind the rest of the world. He who "lusted in his heart".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »

A remark that was widely mocked over here, of course.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

A remark that was widely mocked over here, of course.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. The thing to note though is that it isn't really the sentiment that would be (well, it would be but not so much...) as the sort of ridiculous confessional tone he expressed it in. That aspect of American evangelical Christianity just goes down like a lead balloon among the vast majority of people on the side of the Atlantic.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »

Pakistan knows firsthand how little difference there is between these two jokes.
^^^

Dem BrObot retort: Obie's drones bring "peace," are "less evil," and more "humanely" turn wedding parties into red mist.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »

I find Nigeria most interesting, considering that Romney is doing far better than he would be in an American precinct with the same demographics as Nigeria.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »

These polls remind me of a really really wacky alt election idea where for some reason the world adopted a world government and the US style electoral college. (Yeah, pretty alien space bats) As it was late that night, I was bored and an undergrad, I even made a map thing for it.

Given those poll results, Obama is likely to win 5370 GEV out of 9928, which should be enough to make him president of Earth...

The question though, is it enough to make him President of Space?

----

In general though, these international polls are more amusing than useful. A 'huh, look at that' more than anything important.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »

France rulez! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

These polls remind me of a really really wacky alt election idea where for some reason the world adopted a world government and the US style electoral college. (Yeah, pretty alien space bats)
With cat faces and well shaped knockers?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

Gallup just did a poll (N=1162) in my country, Denmark, on the US election.

85% Obama
11% don't know
4% Romney

Obama wins by 81 points. Amazing.

Some subgroups:

Amongst the center/left-leaning parties:
Obama - 95%
Don't know - 5%
Romney - 0%

Amongst the center/right-leaning parties
Obama - 79%
Don't know - 13%
Romney - 8%

The most Romney-positive party is the most economically conservative party where 21% would vote for Romney. Only 7% of the voters from the most socially conservative party would vote Romney, which indicates how radical american social conservatism seems to most Europeans. Most Europeans who support republicans do so because of their economic views, not their social views.

http://hoisonten.b.dk/Event/Hoisonten/53501769
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »

Obama is a better speaker and more diplomatic. How this could be even remotely surprising to anyone is something I don't know.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

Assuming this is legit, it's one of those laugh-or-cry deals. What is it with people in America? It's like this with religion too. On the list of countries that accept evolution over creationism, we're all the way down at the bottom with Turkey, I think. The USA and Turkey, I think, reject evolution for creationism the most. How can that be? I don't think there's a simple answer. And I think it started back in the 1800s when revivals and religious stuff swept the expansive backwoods of the nation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies