Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:58:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rest of World Would Vote Obama in Landslide, Except Pakistan.  (Read 3702 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: October 23, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

Pakistan knows firsthand how little difference there is between these two jokes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

The rest of the world is not left-wing (nevermind your actual choice of words), that makes no sense whatsoever to say.
Rather, *part* of the issue here is that every Conservatism is slightly different and that almost every national subsort looks more right-wing from outside the country than inside it - they're all still fighting some battle (or else the left of that country isn't even fighting that battle) that's been put to rest elsewhere and isn't missed by anybody. It's part of the definition of Conservatism, really. You just get few polls about how Germans would vote in France, Brits would vote in Germany, Americans would vote in Britain etc.
And then America is a very big and (for a Western country) quite insular country. Yet its elections affect everybody outside. That exacerbates it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »

Dirks &al. -- I feel like I have to say this every single time such a poll comes out: what you are saying, and in general the Republicans' attitude of alternating dismissal and disdain for the rest of the world -- that's the reason why these polls end up the way they do.
That too. But that's a facet of what I described, really.

I think that's way too simplistic. Look at Merkel, her platform is essentially the same as Romney: tax cuts across the board, a smaller bureaucracy, increased energy development, and a comprehensive reform of the tax code. It's only bias that prevents one from seeing that.
Especially as it's quite clear Romney has as little interest in actually doing any of that as Merkel has. Grin
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Absolutely. Perfectly accurate. Politicians' stances are a function of the politics they came up in. That's the way of the world.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

Hmmm... specifically (Southern) Irish... off the top of my head I can only think of battles they're fighting with each other Cheesy . They were quite late within Western Europe to legalize gay civil unions, of course, but even that happened in 2010. Note that nowhere that introduced them (or marriage), even when it was the Left that passed the laws against the Right's opposition and the Right later returned to Government, any but the fringest parts of the Right have shown the slightest interest in turning back the tide.
But just look at the German school system and the battles we're still fighting routinely. Or of course the Spanish Conservatives' attitudes towards the regional nationalisms. Etc.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

These polls remind me of a really really wacky alt election idea where for some reason the world adopted a world government and the US style electoral college. (Yeah, pretty alien space bats)
With cat faces and well shaped knockers?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies