Office of Northeast Governor Scott
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:37:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Northeast Governor Scott
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Office of Northeast Governor Scott  (Read 8941 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 11:59:44 PM »

Query, Governor:

Will the "Gubernatorial Special Elections Amendment" be included on this weekend's ballot, or on the December ballot?  The constitution states that legislation approved before 12:00:00 am on the second Saturday in a month is included on that month's ballot.  The amendment was approved several hours later that day.  I suppose then, it would go on the December ballot?

Just wanted to get your opinion on this.

Hmm.  This, I'm not entirely sure about, because although the bill technically did pass before Saturday, it was not deemed pass by the Speaker until a few hours later.  I will have to ask him about this.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »

Query, Governor:

Will the "Gubernatorial Special Elections Amendment" be included on this weekend's ballot, or on the December ballot?  The constitution states that legislation approved before 12:00:00 am on the second Saturday in a month is included on that month's ballot.  The amendment was approved several hours later that day.  I suppose then, it would go on the December ballot?

Hmm.  This, I'm not entirely sure about, because although the bill technically did pass before Saturday, it was not deemed pass by the Speaker until a few hours later.  I will have to ask him about this.

That's really where my concern stems from as well.  In my opinion, no bill is "passed" until stated so by the speaker - mainly because Reps. can still change their votes in that window between everyone having voted and the speaker making his declaration.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »

Query, Governor:

That's really where my concern stems from as well.  In my opinion, no bill is "passed" until stated so by the speaker - mainly because Reps. can still change their votes in that window between everyone having voted and the speaker making his declaration.

Actually, I think the voting deadline remains regardless of when the Speaker declares something passed, but I'm not entirely sure.  I may have to consult with the CJO if we're not able to find an answer to this.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »

Query, Governor:

Actually, I think the voting deadline remains regardless of when the Speaker declares something passed, but I'm not entirely sure.  I may have to consult with the CJO if we're not able to find an answer to this.

Regardless of my opinion, I have no wish to protract debate over this; I just want to make sure the vote is conducted correctly. Wink  But perhaps asking Dallas would be the best idea.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

Governor, I would like to donate $2 million for the continuing operation of the Northeast Children's Food and Words Program.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »

It is with a great honor (and nine minutes until the previous budget finally expires) that I sign:

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »

Mr. Governor, has a new plan been submitted for the money coming from the Transportation Bill ? If not, we have one week left.

Former Gov. Nix submitted a plan and request of $8 billion for rapid bus transit system in various counties. The Secretary of Internal Affairs answer was :

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

Mr. Governor, has a new plan been submitted for the money coming from the Transportation Bill ? If not, we have one week left.

Former Gov. Nix submitted a plan and request of $8 billion for rapid bus transit system in various counties. The Secretary of Internal Affairs answer was :

Thank you, Poirot.  I'm going to ask the SoIA about this now.  As I've told the Senate, the bill that was submitted isn't very specific about what a plan entails, so I'm going to accept the money and ask what information they need.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »

[/quote]
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »

As we work to modernize and repair our region's infrastructure, as well as prepare for what many are hoping to be an expansion of the seaway linking our trade route to Canada and the Mideast Region, I am proud to sign this bill into law.

[/quote]
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2012, 07:22:06 PM by Governor Scott »

From outside the Governor's Ranch
December 20, 2012
6:44 P.M.

My friends, it's been a breathtaking two months.  Ever since I was given the honor to lead our region, we were faced with what's been an outbreak of tragedy.

First, parts of our region were flooded by a powerful hurricane, and the strength of our governments, both regional and Federal, were tested in their ability to respond to these crises swiftly and thoroughly.  Unfortunately, needed aid from the Federal government was long overdue, but thanks to the help of the Senate and the Secretary of Internal Affairs, we were eventually given the tools to rebuild and work for the good of our citizens.  Our efforts to renew the devastated areas continue today.

Then, this past Friday, twenty-six lives were ended by evil, despicable acts of terror.  These victims were teachers that sought to educate a growing generation.  These victims were future moms, dads, secretaries, businessmen and women, military workers, teachers, heroes.  The images we've seen on the news have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness and a quiet, unyielding anger.  These mass murders were brought upon us by an unforgiving, mentally disturbed young man.  But our region and our nation remain strong.  A great people has been moved.

As Governor, I've pioneered legislation that will help our region address crime.  Appropriately renamed The Sandy Hook Memorial Act, this bill will give our law enforcement agencies the tools to deter criminal acts and give rehabilitation - but more importantly, justice - to those who seek to intrude on our peaceful way of life.  Right now, the Assembly is debating our anti-trafficking bill, and I anticipate that these two bills will pass with unanimous support.

Over the past two months, I've led the conversation on how to keep spending down, modernize our infrastructure, and create jobs for our region in a competitive climate.  I'm happy to report that much of my agenda has been passed this session, and I want this progress to continue.

That is why tonight, I am announcing my bid for reelection.

Our region remains strong, and the Northeastern economy will be open for business as well.  I appreciate so very much the support I've received from the public, including those in the Assembly, and tonight I ask for your continued commitment.  It moves forward because of you.  It moves forward because you reaffirmed the spirit that has triumphed over tragedy and lifted us from the depths of despair to the great heights of hope, faith, and patriotism.  As President Bill Clinton once said, I believe that we stand today between hope and history---at the edge of a moment when these two powerful forces are as one, when we can embrace the dawn of the new century, drawing strength and guidance from our past, filled with confidence that in this new age of possibility, our best is yet to come.

I believe that together, we can build on the progress we've made and seize the future.  We are not divided.  We are greater than the sum of our individual ambitions, and together with your help, we can remind Atlasia how a region as strong as ours thrives, in good times and bad.

Thank you.  Dave Bless you.  And Dave Bless the Northeast Region.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2012, 08:06:08 PM by Governor Scott »

Reflections on the 13th Assembly Session
(or the "State of the Region" Address)

So, here are my thoughts.  We accomplished a lot during my first two months in office, and in spite of a couple bills during the early part of the session, most of what was taken up by the Assembly passed with little disagreement.  And this kind of bipartisanship is crucial in a divided government, as no one party or ideology has control over the chamber.

We started our agenda with education reform.  I'll list the relevant bills:

Early on, the Assembly was very divided on this issue.  I vetoed the Year Round School Act and Securing Teacher Excellence Act of 2012 because I did not believe they were ways to properly remedy the problems in our education system, but we made common ground and passed the Governor's School Act, which was framed largely by Representatives Simfan34 and Barnes.  Thanks to this bipartisan legislation, the most brilliant and brightest students in the Northeast will have the opportunities to excel their education in this temporary school.  This gives students of all incomes and backgrounds the chance to go above and beyond their education.

And last but not least was The Bi-Lingual Education Act.  The costs of the initiative were later compromised, and schools now have the option of instructing a language secondary to English for students at a time when they are most able to learn one.

Afterwards came the budget.  We passed the quad-monthly budget with unanimous support from the Assembly as well as the 'Smarter Spending' bill to build onto our surplus at the end of the fiscal quarter.  This surplus is important to maintain in times of emergency, such as the recent Hurricane Sandy disaster, and times of economic decline.  Though the Northeast Constitution allows the government to not have a balanced budget during certain times, I wanted to continue the record of fiscal responsibility that previous governors have maintained.

This followed debate on how to invest in our infrastructure.  Current At-Large Senator Simfan34 introduced the Railway Electrification Act as well as the New Tappan Zee Bridge Act.  While I strongly support the intentions behind these bills, I did not endorse the passage of the legislation due to concerns over cost, and some of our Representatives rejected these on that basis.

We passed the Protect Our Babies Act of 2012 that was sponsored by Representative and Senator-elect Barnes which will investigate the causes for infant health defects and educate mothers and families about what infants need after birth and how those needs can be met.

Just recently, the Northeast has been amending its crime code.  Shortly after the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, we debated and passed the Omnibus Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 2012, and we are currently considering legislation that will protect victims of trafficking and deter those responsible.  Victims of crime need our support, and those who cause suffering in our region need to be put in jail for a long time.  Schools must be protected, and the streets of our communities must be cleansed of the criminals that defile them.  But we must take the responsible approach to stopping and preventing crime in our region.

During the next session, I will work with the Assembly and the Federal government to upgrade our infrastructure, and that includes expanding the St. Lawrence Seaway so that more boats and cargo are able to navigate between Canada and Atlasia.  Senator Nix said last week that in order for us to get the support we need for the project, we must make a clear economic case in its favor.  And we have one.  Our enhanced exporting abilities will yield a powerful effect on the economies of the Northeast and Mideast regions, and this will lead to growth across the board.  Of course, the costs for this project must be borne by all areas benefiting from it, and that includes the Northeast, Mideast, Federal government, and Canada as well.  The recently-passed BUILD Act will enable our regional bank to distribute the funds appropriately so that our share of the price tag will be covered, and we will fund this without cutting into the surplus that is expected to grow by the time our next budget is introduced.

We will create jobs and heighten our status as a competitive region.  I've proposed legislation that will give the Region the ability to negotiate for workforce training, capital investments, and other projects to help collaborate with businesses and manufacturers interested in locating or relocating their facilities in the Northeast.  We will develop a comprehensive energy plan that incentivizes the building of earth-friendly technologies.

We can and we must continue this culture of cooperation and political pragmatism in order to prosper.  I know that most of the candidates for the Assembly will do just that, and the incoming Speaker will continue Speaker Cincinnatus's tradition of competence and expertise.

I could not have accomplished what we've done so quickly had it not been for the diligent work of the Assembly and so many others. Together, we can move the Northeast forward and see to it that the Northeast and all her people will enjoy a very bright future.

Thank you, and Dave bless.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 06:17:16 PM »

Well said Governor.  It was a great session, and I hope the next will be just as productive.  To whomever becomes the next Speaker, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  There can often be confusion and uncertainty regarding procedure and law, and I'd hate for such to impede progress in the Assembly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2012, 09:21:46 PM by Governor Scott »

With former Mideast Assemblyman JCL present, I hereby sign into law;

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2012, 10:26:50 PM by Governor Scott »

Executive Order #7

I hereby appoint Jerseyrules to head the Department of Commerce.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies