Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:41:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting  (Read 7160 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »

So is this Sandra Fluke's younger sister or something?

She's a pretty funny writer/director/actress.

Saying this is an "Obama ad" is a bit misleading, implying it appears on TV or something, Obama doesn't appear anywhere in it or say "I approve this message". Was it even commissioned by the Obama campaign? Feels more like it was just made by Lena Dunham on her own. Obviously not going to change anyone's vote, but also obviously aimed at convincing college kids and youngs to vote who probably wouldn't anyway. All in all a non-issue.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

If voting for Obama is like sex, you're clearly doing it wrong.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »

Hilarious play on white fears.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »

The type of people likely to get upset by this are the uptight puritan types, who - incredibly - aren't voting for Obama anyway.

I am, although I'm apparently not enough of an uptight puritan to get up in arms over this ad. The only problem is that Lena Dunham is a self-absorbed idiot in general.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »

Yes, exactly! "The black man is coming for your white daughters", etc. Just another exposure of the racism and misogyny that deeply underlies American conservatism.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

Lena Dunham is amazing and Obama is sexy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

It's humor targeted at getting out a key demographic. It's completely pointless to get outraged about it. Have conservatives never heard of a double entendre?
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »

Most conservatives have no concept of humor or irony unless it's low brow slapstick or fart humor. Just look at what television shows they watch.

A conservative I know actually thought Madonna was serious when she called Obama "a black Muslim" and had no idea what I meant when I said she was being ironic.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »

It's a brilliant ad. It's a little creepy but absolutely brilliant.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »

Bleh. I really hate that stuff like this is okay. We're all expected to be incredibly politically correct about some things, yet openness about sex seems to have no ceiling. I really don't like it. Does absolutely everything have to be about sex appeal and consumer culture? What happened to, you know, values?

Wow, I can't believe I actually agree with Hagrid.

I'm not "outraged" at this ad in any way, but I honestly don't like it and I think it indeed reflects something wrong about modern society. If that makes me a puritan, then yeah, I might be one. But I actually think puritanism and the oversexualization of society are actually two faces of the same coin, and that both are equally opposed to an appeased, reasonable approach to sex which remains respectful of individual intimacy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2012, 07:50:03 PM by Simfan34 »

Yes, exactly! "The black man is coming for your white daughters", etc. Just another exposure of the racism and misogyny that deeply underlies American conservatism.

And knowing what you know about me, how does that change your interpretation?

Bleh. I really hate that stuff like this is okay. We're all expected to be incredibly politically correct about some things, yet openness about sex seems to have no ceiling. I really don't like it. Does absolutely everything have to be about sex appeal and consumer culture? What happened to, you know, values?

I'm not "outraged" at this ad in any way, but I honestly don't like it and I think it indeed reflects something wrong about modern society. If that makes me a puritan, then yeah, I might be one. But I actually think puritanism and the oversexualization of society are actually two faces of the same coin, and that both are equally opposed to an appeased, reasonable approach to sex which remains respectful of individual intimacy.

Thank you!

That commercial was disturbing. It actually was. I cringed. The Russian one was cute and funny. This was liberal and the woman was tattooed and urgh, the commerical progressive and hipster and all around..urrgh!

Like I said, the Russian one was funny, this was just so hipster in its sensibilities, whatever that even means.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »

Just saw this and I was literally disgusted.

The girl's cute, though.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

It's a dumb joke, nothing more.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet...

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/lena-dunham-first-time-ronald-reagan.php
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »

I could give a damn about openness in terms of sex, but no matter how many times the Obama camp thinks their in touch with whats hip, they aren't. An ad that compares losing virginity to voting just sounds lolzy and bad.
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

Last weeks 30 Rock episode had Liz Lemon spouting off incoherent Liberal talking points at Jack's GOP fundraiser, as a ploy, to scare the old men into giving more money to the GOP party. 

Its very true, that the Liberal talking points scare Republicans just as much as rally Democrats.  Its sort of like reverse psychology where you take the craziest Liberal talking point to encourage donations from the Republican faithful.

The Obama campaign has decided its only chance at winning relies on getting out the vote for its base voters of Black people and White Women.  Single white women are notorious for being "Late deciding voters" and are often influenced by superficial reasons and peer pressure/front-running momentum.  Single white women are also influenced by the "ideal boyfriend image" which is the candidate who is "good looking, empathetic, but also smart and rich" 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »

Thank you!

That commercial was disturbing. It actually was. I cringed. The Russian one was cute and funny. This was liberal and the woman was tattooed and urgh, the commerical progressive and hipster and all around..urrgh!

Like I said, the Russian one was funny, this was just so hipster in its sensibilities, whatever that even means.

*facepalm* The Putin one was just as disturbing. This is why nobody should take you seriously.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »

I guess I'm out of touch with the forum at large or something 'cause I'm genuinely baffled as to how people are being shocked by this, let alone "disturbed". It's about as edgy as Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.

For me though, it's unfortunately a reflection of our culture.  The vapidness, emptiness and narcissism of young adults.  They do live their lives in this manner: Nightlife and one night stands every weekend.  It's cool to sip on a nice cocktail or martini, where they discuss their phones, themselves and bring a gay friend (no offense by the way, it just is what it is) along so they can make fun of other people.  When they finish school, they demand to be serviced by government, over and over, and hopefully they will one day realize they were f...ed.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen it.  You can see it in the morning, when you are driving through town and see one of the hipsters walking around.  The blank stare, the obsessive need to consider themselves at every moment...  For a bunch of democrats who complain about republicans being acolytes of Ayn Rand, I must say, they sure are self-absorbed.  You can also see how drained they are and the toll it takes to pretend you're better than everyone else each day. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »

Much applause!
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.
You really don't understand what feminism is do you? Its about empowerment. The whole part of you missing the joke aside, the idea that yes women would like to have sex and enjoy is a thing. People that support women's rights also support the rights of women to be ok with being sexual. Even in innuendos. If she was dancing around in a bikini, that would be objectification. This, is a woman being a woman. Deal with it and welcome to the 21st century.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think you know many young people. I've never run into a person between the ages of 18 and 30 (aka, those hipster kids these days) who demands to be serviced by the government. I've met some who are pissed that their degrees are worthless thanks to the economy tanking 4 years ago. I've met some who are pissed that they're being forced to play by a different set of rules than those who already made it. And I've met some who are happy to run off to wall street, to live in a bubble far from the difficult things in the world like working hard, where they get to drink those martinis, live a perpetual nightlife, and do all those horrible things that you seem to hate, all after declaring their unyielding fealty to the GOP.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ah, you confuse cultural trends to being in a ideological cult. In the 80s you'd of been complaining about those punks with their neon hair. In the 60s, those hippies and their bellbottoms. Maybe you just hate young people? (which is even funnier if you're younger than me) Did a wild pack of young people kill your entire family or something? Get a life and relax. People grow up and get off your lawn and get their own. And then new young folks show up with new trends that you hate. That's life.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

Um... human beings are sexual creatures. Both male and female human beings. Unlike the motley crew of theocrats and virgins that apparently make up the Republican party these days, most regular people understand that. And as izixs points out, your understanding of feminism is laughable.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »

I feel like I need to take a shower after seeing this.

Seeing all these disgusting prude comments in this thread, that is.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »

I don't get why some people a hung up on this.  It's just a political ad.  So what if it has a sex joke?  In the process of making that joke, a lot of good points are brought up, like healthcare, birth control, the Lily Ledbetter Act, withdrawing troops from Iraq, and gay rights. 

Hell, Ronald Reagan even made a sex joke about voting too. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/26/ronald-reagan-not-lena-dunham-had-the-first-first-time-voting-joke/?tid=pm_politics_pop

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »

Actually I'm disappointed in Lena Dunham if she's correct in describing her first time voting as for Barack Obama, since she is 26, and thus skipped out on voting for John Kerry and in 2006. Boo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies