Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting  (Read 7206 times)
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 01:59:21 AM »

Maybe it's a right-wing American thing because from this liberal British perspective that video is tame, quite amusing Huh
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 02:05:20 AM »

Maybe it's a right-wing American thing because from this liberal British perspective that video is tame, quite amusing Huh

Most Americans are deeply sexually repressed, and they are terrified and angered by women having control over their own sexuality.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »

It's a sign of how ridiculous this year is that something so innocuous could spawn three pages... and I'm ashamed of my continued involvement.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »

It IS a tame video though. I mean there is nothing in there that wouldn't be possible in a PG movie.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »

Ballot choices are much more painful for women then men, so the analogy is entirely fitting. -_-
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.
You really don't understand what feminism is do you? Its about empowerment. The whole part of you missing the joke aside, the idea that yes women would like to have sex and enjoy is a thing. People that support women's rights also support the rights of women to be ok with being sexual. Even in innuendos. If she was dancing around in a bikini, that would be objectification. This, is a woman being a woman. Deal with it and welcome to the 21st century.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think you know many young people. I've never run into a person between the ages of 18 and 30 (aka, those hipster kids these days) who demands to be serviced by the government. I've met some who are pissed that their degrees are worthless thanks to the economy tanking 4 years ago. I've met some who are pissed that they're being forced to play by a different set of rules than those who already made it. And I've met some who are happy to run off to wall street, to live in a bubble far from the difficult things in the world like working hard, where they get to drink those martinis, live a perpetual nightlife, and do all those horrible things that you seem to hate, all after declaring their unyielding fealty to the GOP.

Ah, you confuse cultural trends to being in a ideological cult. In the 80s you'd of been complaining about those punks with their neon hair. In the 60s, those hippies and their bellbottoms. Maybe you just hate young people? (which is even funnier if you're younger than me) Did a wild pack of young people kill your entire family or something? Get a life and relax. People grow up and get off your lawn and get their own. And then new young folks show up with new trends that you hate. That's life.
Wrong - feminism in part sprang up because women were being objectified as sexual objects.  Up until the movement, it's been a common belief throughout most of history that women were cheaters and desperately wanted sex and that's why they needed to be controlled.  The moment they saw another man, they would throw themselves at them...etc.  Have you ever heard the phrase "She wanted it" in defense of a sexual harrassment claim.  The feminism movement was about breaking that stereotype by being successful, career driven, individuals who take strength in their innate abilities, not their gender role.  Lena Dunham is an idiot being an idiot, not a modern female pioneer of the 21st century.

Wrong again, I am 28 and actually I do know plenty of young people demanding to be serviced by the government, from healthcare to a living wage to everything in between.  One such example, a person on unemployment I knew said that he took two months off for himself while collecting because he deserved it.  Also, I would ask what those degrees are prior to making judments about their worth.  Not all degrees are created equally - Medieval Studies as opposed to an engineering degree.  Those individuals are not being forced to play by "a different set of rules" than those who made it.  They need to do their time and stop demanding instant gratification.  It didn't come that way for most wealthy people (other than the ones who have wealth by birth).  And about running off to Wall Street, you don't think that having that level of mastery of finance is hard work?  I don't understand it and I'm a pretty intelligent individual.  Most of those people start very low on the totem pole in that world, some never achieve anything through it and lots go belly up.  You seem to take the film version of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and all the TV shows to be truth about what it actually is.

I don't hate young people at all, but I dislike the decadence of this generation's youth.  80s youth culture doesn't bother me at all, especially the punk movement.  The punk movement was never about decadence and me, me, me all the time. 
Mister Twister

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.
You really don't understand what feminism is do you? Its about empowerment. The whole part of you missing the joke aside, the idea that yes women would like to have sex and enjoy is a thing. People that support women's rights also support the rights of women to be ok with being sexual. Even in innuendos. If she was dancing around in a bikini, that would be objectification. This, is a woman being a woman. Deal with it and welcome to the 21st century.

I don't think you know many young people. I've never run into a person between the ages of 18 and 30 (aka, those hipster kids these days) who demands to be serviced by the government. I've met some who are pissed that their degrees are worthless thanks to the economy tanking 4 years ago. I've met some who are pissed that they're being forced to play by a different set of rules than those who already made it. And I've met some who are happy to run off to wall street, to live in a bubble far from the difficult things in the world like working hard, where they get to drink those martinis, live a perpetual nightlife, and do all those horrible things that you seem to hate, all after declaring their unyielding fealty to the GOP.

Ah, you confuse cultural trends to being in a ideological cult. In the 80s you'd of been complaining about those punks with their neon hair. In the 60s, those hippies and their bellbottoms. Maybe you just hate young people? (which is even funnier if you're younger than me) Did a wild pack of young people kill your entire family or something? Get a life and relax. People grow up and get off your lawn and get their own. And then new young folks show up with new trends that you hate. That's life.
Wrong - feminism in part sprang up because women were being objectified as sexual objects.  Up until the movement, it's been a common belief throughout most of history that women were cheaters and desperately wanted sex and that's why they needed to be controlled.  The moment they saw another man, they would throw themselves at them...etc.  Have you ever heard the phrase "She wanted it" in defense of a sexual harrassment claim.  The feminism movement was about breaking that stereotype by being successful, career driven, individuals who take strength in their innate abilities, not their gender role.  Lena Dunham is an idiot being an idiot, not a modern female pioneer of the 21st century.

Wrong again, I am 28 and actually I do know plenty of young people demanding to be serviced by the government, from healthcare to a living wage to everything in between.  One such example, a person on unemployment I knew said that he took two months off for himself while collecting because he deserved it.  Also, I would ask what those degrees are prior to making judments about their worth.  Not all degrees are created equally - Medieval Studies as opposed to an engineering degree.  Those individuals are not being forced to play by "a different set of rules" than those who made it.  They need to do their time and stop demanding instant gratification.  It didn't come that way for most wealthy people (other than the ones who have wealth by birth).  And about running off to Wall Street, you don't think that having that level of mastery of finance is hard work?  I don't understand it and I'm a pretty intelligent individual.  Most of those people start very low on the totem pole in that world, some never achieve anything through it and lots go belly up.  You seem to take the film version of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and all the TV shows to be truth about what it actually is.

I don't hate young people at all, but I dislike the decadence of this generation's youth.  80s youth culture doesn't bother me at all, especially the punk movement.  The punk movement was never about decadence and me, me, me all the time. 

You're just jealous all your friends have a fun nightlife but you don't
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 05:55:36 AM »

'young people' these days, blah, blah, blah
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »

Maybe it's a right-wing American thing because from this liberal British rational perspective that video is tame, quite amusing Huh

FYP.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2012, 07:43:23 AM by Simfan34 »

Things like these are why I could never join the Democratic Party, I'd much rather be associated with the bigots, fools, and inanities in the GOP than be associated with this sort of fundamentally revolting crude claptrap. There is no decency in the left.

Yes, exactly! "The black man is coming for your white daughters", etc. Just another exposure of the racism and misogyny that deeply underlies American conservatism.

Lief, you and I both know this is a ridiculous statement.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »

Things like these are why I could never join the Democratic Party, I'd much rather be associated with the bigots, fools, and inanities in the GOP than be associated with this sort of fundamentally revolting crude claptrap. There is no decency in the left.

Surely you're kidding, right?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »

I haven't watched the video - I can't right now - but the reactions from some posters in this thread and many in the conservative media are amazing (and, I suppose, predictable, although I'm not even sure what exactly provoked this level of outrage).

Republicans ought to respond with an ad aimed at young voters that compares voting for Obama in 2008 to losing your virginity (and not in a good way). That reaction thread would be a blast.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »

I haven't watched the video - I can't right now - but the reactions from some posters in this thread and many in the conservative media are amazing (and, I suppose, predictable, although I'm not even sure what exactly provoked this level of outrage).

Republicans ought to respond with an ad aimed at young voters that compares voting for Obama in 2008 to losing your virginity (and not in a good way). That reaction thread would be a blast.

They should make an ad where the young women voting for Obama get pimped out.  it is their fantasy of the Black.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »

They should put me in a Romney commercial.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

A stupid ad surely and not at all as impressive as Democrats think it is (well, you could say that about most of their attempts at comedy, they suck).  However, it is a little silly to get so outraged over the direction of the commercial or be like "OMGTHEYARESLUTTY!"  Obviously, a majority of people probably bust their cherries before marriage.  Yes, I'm even including the "good old days" people here, who seem to be really good at lying about the past (yes, I'm looking at you 1955).
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

I'm still laughing at opebo's last post, but I want to add that, having now watched the clip, I'm not a fan of the ad either. No, I'm not about to come down with a case of the vapors because a woman talks about sex without feeling shame. But I think that this article from The Nation is on to something:

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »

But seriously, opebo and Lief, the mere fact I am extant destroys your logic, does it not?

The commercial remains crude.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »

How many people who don't like this ad are familiar with Lena Dunham's tv show, Girls?

Because this ad is 100% in keeping with that and what she does, and not the Obama campaign.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »

How many people who don't like this ad are familiar with Lena Dunham's tv show, Girls?

Because this ad is 100% in keeping with that and what she does, and not the Obama campaign.

I believe I've referred to it as "the most progressive thing on television today", though that might have been on the IRC.
milhouse24
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »

Single women want Barry Obama as their boyfriend, get it?

They want to have the sex with the Barry because he is younger than Mitt, and is hot with his shirt off, and has a nice big smile. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »

But seriously, opebo and Lief, the mere fact I am extant destroys your logic, does it not?

In what sense?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

LOL@that nonsense about the punk movement above. Punk subculture has been completely and utterly taken oven by mainstream liberalism and most people active in the scene are now loyal complete Democratic hacks. Last night I went to a show to fundraise for Democratic organizations. Campaigning for the Green Party at a punk show in this day is as likely to go over as well as campaigning for the Republican Party.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »

Regardless of your feelings on sexual innuendo; what does it say about the Obama campaign when these lame attempts at being hip are the best they have 10 days away from election day? Team O has clearly run out of dead horses to beat.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »

In what sense?

Well I'm not worried about negroes coming for vulnerable white women, now am I? I am the negro, and I am after white women, however how bad at that I may be.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »

In what sense?

Well I'm not worried about negroes coming for vulnerable white women, now am I? I am the negro, and I am after white women, however how bad at that I may be.

Obviously not all the opposition to this is racist, but there's certainly a racist undercurrent to a lot of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies