TN-MTSU: Tennessee not as close as previous polls showed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:44:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  TN-MTSU: Tennessee not as close as previous polls showed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TN-MTSU: Tennessee not as close as previous polls showed  (Read 5063 times)
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »

Holy crap, that is way different than what earlier polls have showed and would actually constitute a major swing against Obama versus 2008. Hmm.

Tennessee is a hellhole.  They can vote how they please. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »

Hating on places because they vote the wrong way isn't especially pleasant.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »

Romney's entire 191 base of states except maybe Montana and Arizona might vote 60-70 percent for him.

His moderate appeal prevents Obama from doing the same in much of the northeast.

With numbers like these in uncontested states, Mittens could conceivably win the popular vote by up to 5 points and not win the election.

That actually makes sense...

Republicans will throw a fit and Obama will probably have an assassination attempt levied on him by some guntotting little backwater bugger, but in the end it might finally get the electoral college removed.  That's a good thing.

It would be pretty insane. I almost think Obama would voluntarily step down.
Why are elected Democrats such pushovers? I hope Obama isn't that weak. Bush lost the popular vote and walked around like he won in a landslide.

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

Why are elected Democrats such pushovers? I hope Obama isn't that weak. Bush lost the popular vote and walked around like he won in a landslide.

Capital and its dominance of the political system is my guess. Financial capital.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

I'm almost surprised at how much the south is swinging towards Mitt Romney considering he's so not a southern type candidate, and Paul Ryan isn't either.

Seems to speak to how much people just don't like Obama's ideas.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »

I'm almost surprised at how much the south is swinging towards Mitt Romney considering he's so not a southern type candidate, and Paul Ryan isn't either.

Seems to speak to how much people just don't like Obama's ideas skin color.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

Seems to speak to how much people just don't like Obama's ideas.

Yes, many feel his ideas have a dark character to them and despite his promises of hope he has not returned America's credit to the black.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

There's too much of this, and really it serves nothing other than hilighting the ignorance of those people. I mean because a state goes 60% one way doesn't discount the fact that 40% of people still feel differently. That's discounting 40% of people you'd otherwise agree with.

Holy crap, that is way different than what earlier polls have showed and would actually constitute a major swing against Obama versus 2008. Hmm.

It's made even more hilarious by the sheer nearsightedness of people.
New jersey and South Dakota calling Tennessee a hellhole? Really? Laughable to say the least. The cultural norm regards jersey as the biggest hole in America, and anyone who has lived through the continuous cycle of winter "clippers" in the upper Midwest would likely tell you it's not a pleasant place for half the year.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »

New jersey and South Dakota calling Tennessee a hellhole? Really? Laughable to say the least. The cultural norm regards jersey as the biggest hole in America, and anyone who has lived through the continuous cycle of winter "clippers" in the upper Midwest would likely tell you it's not a pleasant place for half the year.

You're from Alberta.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »

You're from Alberta.

Yup, home of Banff and jasper, wood buffalo national park, and many other areas of natural beauty. Vibrant cities, a steady and growing economy, and the lowest tax rates in Canada. Lots to be proud of, as there is in every place. I'm also the first to admit that chinooks are a pain, urban sprawl is largely unchecked, and winter is a frozen hell of foot-deep snow and -30 temps. Always an upside and a downside to every locale. Something that people should consider before labeling others as hellholes.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2012, 03:52:50 PM by Obamanation of Obama's Nation »

Romney's entire 191 base of states except maybe Montana and Arizona might vote 60-70 percent for him.

His moderate appeal prevents Obama from doing the same in much of the northeast.

With numbers like these in uncontested states, Mittens could conceivably win the popular vote by up to 5 points and not win the election.

That actually makes sense...

Republicans will throw a fit and Obama will probably have an assassination attempt levied on him by some guntotting little backwater bugger, but in the end it might finally get the electoral college removed.  That's a good thing.

Baloney, if we elected by popular vote, the whole campaign would be different, California and New York would have same day walk up registration and voting, and/or mail in ballots.

Hillary Clinton learned that you play by the rules of the election, no matter if you win the popular vote or not.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

You're from Alberta.

Yup, home of Banff and jasper, wood buffalo national park, and many other areas of natural beauty. Vibrant cities, a steady and growing economy, and the lowest tax rates in Canada. Lots to be proud of, as there is in every place. I'm also the first to admit that chinooks are a pain, urban sprawl is largely unchecked, and winter is a frozen hell of foot-deep snow and -30 temps. Always an upside and a downside to every locale. Something that people should consider before labeling others as hellholes.
I'm sure you will retract your comment on New Jersey and South Dakota, then.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »

You're from Alberta.

Please learn how to read and analyze properly. I did not refer to them as hellholes. I said cultural norm (ie mainstream media) dictates that jersey is not a great place to live, given by the numerous and continuous jokes about jersey. Second, I said that a rational person would admit that south Dakota is not pleasant for a good chunk of the year, again, not referring to them as a hellhole. Try again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

Keep in mind that the other Tennessee polls were largely pre-debate save for that one YouGov poll that used a rather novel method of getting its sample.  The shift is from then to now is largely explainable by what accounted for Romney's improvement.  There was a significant pool of anti-Obama voters who needed to be convinced that it was worth bothering to vote for Romney.  For a variety of reasons, Tennessee had more of these sorts of voters.  The first debate gave that reason, but because YouGov's October poll only contacted people who had been likely voters in its September poll, it missed that shift caused by the increase in the pool of likely voters.  Not that I think Obama will lose by 25 points here, but 15 points is very believable and 20 points is not impossible.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »

You're from Alberta.

Please learn how to read and analyze properly. I did not refer to them as hellholes. I said cultural norm (ie mainstream media) dictates that jersey is not a great place to live, given by the numerous and continuous jokes about jersey. Second, I said that a rational person would admit that south Dakota is not pleasant for a good chunk of the year, again, not referring to them as a hellhole. Try again.

You made the assertion that, on balance, South Dakota and New Jersey are more 'hellholish' (or inhospitable, or whatever) than Tennessee. A rational observer would say that Alberta trumps all three.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »

You're from Alberta.

You made the assertion that, on balance, South Dakota and New Jersey are more 'hellholish' (or inhospitable, or whatever) than Tennessee. A rational observer would say that Alberta trumps all three.

Please stop offering analysis that does not reference my original intents. I was merely pointing out the complete folly of putting down one place comparatively, as each has pros and cons which affect people differently depending on their personal predispositions. I find humid heat unbearable, hence my predisposition to Arizona compared to Florida, but to others the opposite is true, which makes any sort of comparison moot. You have clearly missed the entire point, as you just gave a "rank" of these places based on your own personal beliefs. /end of conversation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »

It's certainly less of a hellhole than New Jersey.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

R posting a couple of sixty-burgers in the Southeast is within reason very much. Like in NC, I just don't see the cities there as liberal enough bastions to offset the legions of rural voters that will turn out to vote against O.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »

R posting a couple of sixty-burgers in the Southeast is within reason very much. Like in NC, I just don't see the cities there as liberal enough bastions to offset the legions of rural voters that will turn out to vote against O.

It's not just that the cities aren't "liberal enough." Hamilton and Knox Counties are GOP strongholds. Ditto for most of Eastern Shelby and the ring of suburban counties surrounding Nashville. Memphis is the only Democratic metro area in the state and even here, white people are very heavily Republican.
timothyinMD

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »

Er, no.

But down the crack pipe
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »

It's certainly less of a hellhole than New Jersey.

New Jersey is a perfectly fine state.  Not quite as good as NY or PA, but better than most of the rest.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

I was in an especially bad mood, I'd like to retract this. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies