GER-Infratest Dimap/ARD: Obama's support surges past 90% after final debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:33:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  GER-Infratest Dimap/ARD: Obama's support surges past 90% after final debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GER-Infratest Dimap/ARD: Obama's support surges past 90% after final debate  (Read 1668 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »

1000 German voters questioned by the Infratest dimap pollsters (which always do the Exit Polls in German elections) for ARD television between Oct. 23 and 24:

Germany is not a swing state either ... Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:49 AM »

PS:

3% would vote for none of them (+1)
1% say that they don't care (nc)
2% are undecided (-2)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »

There were a lot of jokes about Romney's "geographical" issue in the debate. And Romney was generally seen as clueless on foreign policy. This debate actually got a good deal of attention , there was even a 100% translated replay on TV.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:16:14 AM »

Do you think that there's a slight chance that more voters in certain European countries like Germany, Austria, France etc. are actually more informed about the US Presidential race/candidates than let's say American voters in non-swing states like Alaska, Idaho etc. ?

Or is it just the high popularity and name recognition of Obama that's driving down the share of undecideds here in Central Europe, combined with an extreme dislike of investment/banking figures like Romney ?

At least everyone I talk to seems to have a firm opinion right now about who they back in the US presidential race. Maybe some teenagers and a few old people remain uninformed.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »

I think there's a large portion (50% maybe) that hear Obama and automatically support him. Then there's just the standard "Democrats are rational, Republicans are crazy" people. I personally doubt most people here know much about the actual issues.

It's more just a standard: "Romney wants to take away healthcare , make the rich richer and probably go to war with someone." (Which happens to be largely true because the stereotypr is mostly accurate , but I wouldn't really call it being informed.)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »

Haha, these just make me think what could be in America. The folks from Europe and Canada who I know are appalled at our healthcare system, to start with. How can we be as rich as we are and not have an NHS? Well, look at what we spend on silly wars and international meddling.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:43:07 AM »

Haha, these just make me think what could be in America. The folks from Europe and Canada who I know are appalled at our healthcare system, to start with. How can we be as rich as we are and not have an NHS? Well, look at what we spend on silly wars and international meddling.

Most countries don't have an NHS.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

In Europe?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »

In Europe?

Can't think of any system in Europe quite like the British one , to be honest.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »

In Europe?

Oh, well I mean that there's something, maybe not identical to the British system, but there's something. You're not on your own or exclusively employer-based, like here. If so, that's news to me.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »

In Europe?

Oh, well I mean that there's something, maybe not identical to the British system, but there's something. You're not on your own or exclusively employer-based, like here. If so, that's news to me.

Oh no of course not. Can't think of any place in Europe without universal access, but the NHS is a state-run system funded through taxation. Most of Europe has more of a private element.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »

Who are these three percent, I wonder.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »

I asked that in the last German poll thread... Smiley I literally have no idea what kind of person here would prefer Romney. I know nobody who does.

With 3%.... NPD voters + a few senior citizens perhaps?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »

Despite the Germans' reactionary attitude (to a ridiculous and disgusting degree) in the 1930s.. they are typically very accurate when it comes to global issues when their insane view from WWII is disregarded.. 

As a German-American, this is a pleasing result. 
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

Or is it just the high popularity and name recognition of Obama that's driving down the share of undecideds here in Central Europe, combined with an extreme dislike of investment/banking figures like Romney ?

Popularity of Obama + unpopularity of Bush.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »

Popularity of Obama + unpopularity of Bush.

True, the Bush factor is still quite relevant, most people not being able to understand how the discredited party of Bush could be close to coming back to power a mere 4 years later (or only 2 years later for Congres).

This could, to an extent, be a result of different voting systems and party structures. Parties, to the extent that they even exist in America, aren't nearly as relevant.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »

We get it, we get it- every democratic country's electorate is 10x smarter than ours. No need to rub it in. Angry
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »

I asked that in the last German poll thread... Smiley I literally have no idea what kind of person here would prefer Romney. I know nobody who does.

With 3%.... NPD voters + a few senior citizens perhaps?

What anecdotal evidence I have would support that claim.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

All those CDU voting Dentists and small Businessmen who have their taxes in Liechtenstein?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 04:58:55 AM »

All those CDU voting Dentists and small Businessmen who have their taxes in Liechtenstein?
These people all voted FDP in 2009, are closer to 10% of the actual votership (since they all actually vote), and anyways are just about the group of people spouting the least informed anti-American sentiments. They'd vote Obama.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »

I know a few Republican supporters up here. But, Romney is probably closer to 20% in Canada. Anyways, these numbers are more pro Obama than African Americans.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »

I know a few Republican supporters up here. But, Romney is probably closer to 20% in Canada. Anyways, these numbers are more pro Obama than African Americans.

Not incredibly surprising, Canada has some Conservatives out West that aren't that far away from Republicans in the US ideologically, right?

Romney is certainly a better fit for that part of the world than literally anywhere in Europe.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »

Not incredibly surprising, Canada has some Conservatives out West that aren't that far away from Republicans in the US ideologically, right?

Romney is certainly a better fit for that part of the world than literally anywhere in Europe.

True. I think the US election if held in say, Alberta would look a lot like the last provincial election where PC voters would go  Obama and Wildrose voters would go Romney.  I know one provincial riding in Alberta where Romney would definitely win: Cardston-Taber-Warner which has a high proportion of Mormons.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »

There's also a cult following in Germany for the music of David Hasselhoff.

Until German citizens are given the right to vote here, file this under who cares. We are not electing a President of Germany here. We're electing a President of the United States.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »

There's also a cult following in Germany for the music of David Hasselhoff.

Until German citizens are given the right to vote here, file this under who cares. We are not electing a President of Germany here. We're electing a President of the United States.

Well this particular German citizen does have the right to vote in the US.

(And I don't really understand the hostility among the American right-wing to hearing perspectives from abroad. Nobody's saying it's actually relevant. But it does show you the American electorate is relatively far from the First World mainstream. Make of that what you will.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies