New Mexico and Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:52:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  New Mexico and Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Mexico and Iowa  (Read 3395 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:09:06 PM »

why do people automatically assume Bush will win these states just because they were close last time? There's really nothing that's happened to them that has made them more friendly to Bush. Iowa was actually one of the most anti-war states according to polls so I say Bush will have an even tougher time than he did in 2000, and New Mexico has been turning more Dem, more and more Hispanics are coming in and Richardson won in a landslide. Sure they're far from guaranteed for Kerry, but definately not guaranteed for Bush either.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 02:13:39 PM »

I thikn they've just been described as the most likely pickups for Bush, which is true.  

Personally, I don't see Bush picking up any Gore states, he's going to have a hard time in all of them.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 02:19:42 PM »

why do people automatically assume Bush will win these states just because they were close last time? There's really nothing that's happened to them that has made them more friendly to Bush. Iowa was actually one of the most anti-war states according to polls so I say Bush will have an even tougher time than he did in 2000, and New Mexico has been turning more Dem, more and more Hispanics are coming in and Richardson won in a landslide. Sure they're far from guaranteed for Kerry, but definately not guaranteed for Bush either.
I can only speak for myself, but my answer is NO.  As I have stated repeatedly, a different Democrat may very well have won my vote, or this Democrat, running for a different office may have won my vote.  (I have voted for JFKerry in the past, and may again, if the opportunity presents itself.)  You'll not find anyone who is more anti-Iraq war than I.  And that has a great deal to do with the fact that I will, after nearly 20 years of voting, vote for a Republican for President for the first time.  I suspect that I'm not the only logical thinker out there, but that may be optimistic.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 02:24:08 PM »

The most likely pickup for Bush is probably Pennsylvania... Smiley

Iowa has Kerry with big leads ratehr consistently, and that makes me think it'll go for Kerry. New Mexico I don't know. That state together with the 3 steel states, Florida and New Hampshire are probably those who actually will change hands.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 02:51:42 PM »

Bush has made inroads into Hispanics... and NM is too remote for Kerry to bother with anyways.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 02:52:38 PM »

Bush has made inroads into Hispanics... and NM is too remote for Kerry to bother with anyways.

That's a good point, I would've thought that geography would matter some. Kerry wants a coherent group of states to campaign in.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:54:17 PM »

He'll want to stick around the Atlantic and Great Lakes state's I'd guess.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 02:55:30 PM »

yes, and this is why NM will be the most likely switch.  Everyone keeps asking, "what happened in the states?" or "are the voters more liberal or more conservative now than...?"  Did it occur to anyone that there are actually candidates campaigning?  And that the identity of these candidates matter?  That what they say matters?  Not to lifelong anti-Bush Democrats, or lifelong anti-Kerry Republicans.  But to that small fraction who actually decide elections, these things matter.  I stand by my original map of 4 months ago, polls be dammed, Bush will win everything he did last time plus NM, and not a single state more.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 02:57:34 PM »

yes, and this is why NM will be the most likely switch.  Everyone keeps asking, "what happened in the states?" or "are the voters more liberal or more conservative now than...?"  Did it occur to anyone that there are actually candidates campaigning?  And that the identity of these candidates matter?  That what they say matters?  Not to lifelong anti-Bush Democrats, or lifelong anti-Kerry Republicans.  But to that small fraction who actually decide elections, these things matter.  I stand by my original map of 4 months ago, polls be dammed, Bush will win everything he did last time plus NM, and not a single state more.

Sounds reasonable, but I think Bush might lose FL while gaining PA. He might also lose New Hampshire, but it wouldn't matter.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 02:58:58 PM »

I'm not that worried about PA (or MN) at present... I am very worried about Oregon and New Mexico... and Wisconsin.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 03:02:30 PM »

you've decided west virgina will come back to the Dems?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 03:03:05 PM »

The most likely pickup for Bush is probably Pennsylvania... Smiley

Ah Gustaf (spelled correctly !) - You read my thread on PA, and like magic a few days later a poll with Bush +6 magically appears..

And you are convinced that PA is in play......

You seem to believe Florida will change hands..

You are mistaken young Jedi...

I will soon enlighten you to the ways of the force as it fortells Florida...

(but not now... have work to do.....)

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 03:03:13 PM »

you've decided west virgina will come back to the Dems?

Who are you talking to there Angus? Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 03:04:57 PM »

I only know of one credible student of coal belt voting habits on this thread.  Smiley
Rococo4

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »

Bush will win NM.  He lost by 400 some votes last time and was hurt big by the DUI there at the last minute.  He will also pick up at least 4-6% more of the Hispanic vote.  Kerry will play well in some states, but NM is not one.  (This is all assuming Bill Richardson is not the VP nominee)

However, Bush will probably lose Iowa.  Most people forget that votes cast the day of the election in 2000, Bush was ahead, but Gore killed him on absentee ballots.  I think the primaires did heavy damage to Bush, making it tougher for him to win in 04.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 03:06:10 PM »

well, two.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 03:31:42 PM »

OK, you were talking to Al then I guess. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »

Yes, but then I realized Vorlon was here too.  Al, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of that area and its social milieu and its voting proclivities.  How did you come by all that information, anyway?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 04:01:22 PM »

Where's the proof Bush has made inroads with Hispanics? I hear about this as well as blacks, but haven't seen any polls or anything such proving so.

And since Kerry is targeting Nevada, Arizona and possibly Colorado, I do think he'll stop by New Mexico.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 04:02:54 PM »

im encouraged by recent polls showing bush very competitive in pennsylvania.  i do, however, still believe that pa is a 'kerry lean'.  but there is no realistic way kerry wins the election without pa.

bush probably won new mexico in 2000.  i understand voter fraud is pretty rampant there.  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 04:04:54 PM »

then hopefully you'll admit Gore won Florida.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »

numerous recounts show that gore lost florida.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »

but would he had it not have been had it not have been for all the blacks taken off the voting rolls by Katherine Harris who were not convicted felons but simply shared similar names.

sorry, but there's way more proof of vote fraud in Florida than New Mexico. Your theory about NM is just pure speculation.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »

youre right.  i am speculating on new mexico.

it's just a hunch i have.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 04:22:33 PM »

numerous recounts show that gore lost florida.

…a state-wide recount would probably have given the state to Gore... and there is the little matter of voter disenfranchisement... but I'm sorry lets not start this whole subject all over again... it would get very ugly very quickly...

I for one was thinking that Kerry was likely to lose NM and IA… now I think that NM will still be lost to Bush however I think IA will be a Kerry win by anywhere from 2-7%...

PA, is very much in play however despite the polls I would still say Kerry should have an advantage there imho… steel workers in the west of the state and the dem leaning voters in Pittsburgh and the west and Philadelphia and the east should come out in large numbers for Kerry… these polls from PA just strengthen the case for Edwards as VP imho… about the polls who was polled likely or registered voters and what was the split between Dems and Reps…

OH, as with PA is very much in play and strengthens the case even further for Edwards as VP… a lot of job losses and the steel issue should help Kerry particularly with Edwards on the ticket… the same is true of WV where economic factors should help swing the state back to its traditionally democrat voting habits, and again Edwards helps a lot…  

Polls should be showing Bush pulling ahead in FL imo if they are showing a tight race in PA but then again the polls showed the same in PA in 2000… but the FL polls remain an anomaly, I would expect the next batch of polls out of FL to show a bush lead of say 3-6% …

But that’s just my take on where things stand….    
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies