Have you been polled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:44:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Have you been polled?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Have you been polled?  (Read 1049 times)
rockhound
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »

I got one of the automated calls the other day, then last evening I got one with a live questioner. 

The first one took just a few minutes, the live one took about 10.  It asked about the presidential candidates and favorability ratings, but then spent a lot of time on the senate candidates.

I'm thinking it was a poll done by Smith, because at the end they were testing talking points against Casey.  But since that was after they knew I was voting for Smith, perhaps I'd have gotten a different set of questions if I'd said I was voting for Casey.
milhouse24
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »

I don't know why I was polled since I don't live in a swing state, but they called.  I also previously answered a poll for some local races.  Both live people every time, and some what confusing. 

But they probably get phone numbers from the people who have donated to Republicans or Democrats before. 

I think there's a national telemarketing list called the "suckers list" that means you are an easy mark for telemarketers. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

Nope, and I'm a little surprised on account on the UT-04 race between Love and Matheson.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »

Nope, and I'm a little surprised on account on the UT-04 race between Love and Matheson.

You haven't been there long enough to make to the mailing lists.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »

Yes. Supported Romney/Mandel/Renacci. Lied about age.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

You haven't been there long enough to make to the mailing lists.

Probably true.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

Yes. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

I actually was polled by an automated service on my cell phone in May.

I don't have a landline so that's the only time so far...
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »

Nope, pollsters don't call my cell phone, one of the great problems in current polling theory.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »

Are you kidding?  Dude, I lived in Iowa for five years.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional polling, but it got pretty bad there.  I was being polled several times daily during the primary season.  I've been polled so hard and so frequently I couldn't sit straight for three days.  I'm not kidding, I was getting polled silly in Iowa.

One good thing about living in a forgotten state like PA is that you can avoid the constant polling.  Oh, sure, you can't buy booze 24/7 at any supermarket.  You gotta buy booze at special stores in PA, which are only open till 9PM, and you gotta show an ID to vote, and put up with all the mullets and rednecks and trailer trash, and the public schools totally suck.  My son is doing in 2nd grade here what he did in Kindergarten in Iowa.  And two men can't legally get married here like they can in Iowa.  And folks are sue-happy here.  Have I ever told you what a litigious state PA is?  I'd never even heard of "low tort" and "high tort" auto insurance till I moved to PA.  And the roads are really bad.  It's like Mississippi, but folks talk a bit faster.  That's the main difference.  And I can go on and on and on, but at least you don't get polled here in PA.  That pretty much trumps all that other stuff.  Not getting polled so often is worth putting up with all that other crap.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

We got called once.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »

Twice. One was an automated one out of Connecticut (don't recall who, exactly): President, Senate, and then a host of stuff like age, gender, religious affiliation, etc. Then I received a real oddball one that  was a live person asking me who I was voting for in the Senate race, Casey or Smith. I said Casey, and then the person started with a bunch of Tea Party baloney: does it make you more or less likely to vote for Mr. Casey after he did this or that (insert right wing e-rumor silliness), so I said, look, none of that matters - I'm voting Casey. The person thanked me, said it was recorded, and that was it.
The Constable
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -8.17

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »

Right here in the great state of 'hia I have been getting them every day, particularly out of Missouri. Every automated one I answer Virgil Goode.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »

Twice. One was an automated one out of Connecticut (don't recall who, exactly): President, Senate, and then a host of stuff like age, gender, religious affiliation, etc. Then I received a real oddball one that  was a live person asking me who I was voting for in the Senate race, Casey or Smith. I said Casey, and then the person started with a bunch of Tea Party baloney: does it make you more or less likely to vote for Mr. Casey after he did this or that (insert right wing e-rumor silliness), so I said, look, none of that matters - I'm voting Casey. The person thanked me, said it was recorded, and that was it.
The one out of Connecticut was probably Quinnipiac. As for the other one, don't you love push polling?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »

I got called by Crook's internal pollster - the results must not have been good, because they were never released.
Dakota Devil
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2012, 11:33:22 PM by Dakota Devil »

I've been called/polled constantly over the past two months.  So many, that I can't recall the exact number.  Probably close to every third night.  Sometimes every other night.  Same applies for my wife.  

I have noticed however, that the calls are becoming less frequent lately.
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2012, 11:34:17 PM by tokar »

Are you kidding?  Dude, I lived in Iowa for five years.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional polling, but it got pretty bad there.  I was being polled several times daily during the primary season.  I've been polled so hard and so frequently I couldn't sit straight for three days.  I'm not kidding, I was getting polled silly in Iowa.

One good thing about living in a forgotten state like PA is that you can avoid the constant polling.  Oh, sure, you can't buy booze 24/7 at any supermarket.  You gotta buy booze at special stores in PA, which are only open till 9PM, and you gotta show an ID to vote, and put up with all the mullets and rednecks and trailer trash, and the public schools totally suck.  My son is doing in 2nd grade here what he did in Kindergarten in Iowa.  And two men can't legally get married here like they can in Iowa.  And folks are sue-happy here.  Have I ever told you what a litigious state PA is?  I'd never even heard of "low tort" and "high tort" auto insurance till I moved to PA.  And the roads are really bad.  It's like Mississippi, but folks talk a bit faster.  That's the main difference.  And I can go on and on and on, but at least you don't get polled here in PA.  That pretty much trumps all that other stuff.  Not getting polled so often is worth putting up with all that other crap.

Seriously dude?

Where in PA were you living?
The school districts in southeastern suburbs are very good, as are the Philly magnet schools. Don't know about Philly public, though.
Streets in Philly might be bad, but in the Philly subs, I remember things being AOK.
The voter ID law is on hold for this election, as far as I know.
So what if you have to buy alcohol at state stores? It is just alcohol. What is the big deal?
Mullets and redneck trailer trash? I'm guessing you must have been somewhere in the T?

Whats the big deal about getting polled. Just pick up, say no and hang up if you don't want to talk. I have volunteered on campaigns before. Next to the voter's name there is a column for "did not answer" and "answered". Under "answered" there is a check box for "refused" if the caller hangs up or says "no thanks" so that we make a note not to bother them again.

With respect to the education system in PA, just move closer to a big city and the schools in those suburbs will generally be fine. PA is still, state-legislatively, a red state, which means spending on education is going to be lower than traditional blue states like NY, MA, etc. Read this article:
http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazine/108185/blue-states-are-scandinavia-red-states-are-guatemala
It is a pretty good read.

The TL;DR summary of the article is traditional blue states have higher taxes to fund bigger (state) government to do things like spend on helping the poor in the form of medicare, education, etc. while red states value a social darwin approach, everyone for themselves, very little spending on safety nets or the public good and, as a result, have lower taxes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »

I was polled several times during the primary, but not once for the general election for some reason.  Ever since Gingrich won our primary, no one has cared what us Sandlappers think.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 08:45:22 AM »

I was polled several times during the primary, but not once for the general election for some reason.  Ever since Gingrich won our primary, no one has cared what us Sandlappers think.
Yeah, that's really odd, especially as SC is objectively speaking a complete toss up .
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »

No but my grandma got polled this cycle.
gsmiro
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 4.45

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

Well, if you live in a "solid" states like me, then we would miss all the action.  Just drove to FL last weekend, and see bunch of billboards for Romney, some are pretty funny, too.  But once we cross back the State line, there's nothing! 

Perhaps we should change the winner takes all EV system to make everyone more involved.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »

Our house is polled often (both parties live here), though only one poll for the caucus from Ron Paul
Stirring Wolf🥣🐺
Xiivi
Rookie
France

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »

Haven't gotten polled.  Didn't get polled in '08 either when the state was much closer.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »

Nothing presidential, but I got polled once for the Brooks-Slaughter race and once for an Obama approval thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »

Yeah, that's really odd, especially as SC is objectively speaking a complete toss up .

Well, according to this website...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies