The "industrial corridor"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:02:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The "industrial corridor"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The "industrial corridor"  (Read 686 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/magazine/amtrak-industrial-corridor.html?ref=magazine&_r=0
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:40 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 01:54:03 AM by Nathan »

I didn't spend my early childhood there, don't live there currently, and don't identify as 'from' there, but I lived for several years, including middle and most of high school, in New Jersey, along this corridor, and still go back there a lot (with occasional jaunts as far as the Chesapeake Bay area). My mom's a disabilities lawyer in Mercer County pending her own move back to Western Massachusetts and my dad, who's from a significantly higher socioeconomic background, is a grocer and caterer in Morristown. This is definitely the part of the country I've come to instinctively care about the most other than Upper New England, even if I didn't actually like living there. I don't have much to say but I really appreciated this article and the quality of the photojournalism in it while I was reading it today in one of the restaurants on North Pleasant Street in Amherst Center.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »

I imagine that this is something encountered during most trips via passenger rail through urbanized parts of the country, at least in the Northeast and the Midwest. I've taken the train from Buffalo to New York City, and the post-industrial landscape of upstate New York often seemed like something out of The Road. And not just the large cities like Rochester and Syracuse, either; in fact, the worst-off places were small factory towns like Little Falls and Canajoharie. It's amazing that while a significant portion of our country looks like this, many of us can go through most of our lives without ever seeing it in person.

The rail corridors from Chicago to either Albany or to DC (both through Cleveland) are both similar to the landscape described in the article. The main difference compared to the corridor in the article is that there are longer stretches of open rural land between the industrial towns.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies