Ipsos Hongkong: Voters in China & Japan (2570 EV) back Obama by wide margins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:30:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Ipsos Hongkong: Voters in China & Japan (2570 EV) back Obama by wide margins
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ipsos Hongkong: Voters in China & Japan (2570 EV) back Obama by wide margins  (Read 629 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »

HONG KONG — Citizens of China and Japan overwhelmingly support President Barack Obama to win a second term, according to an AFP-Ipsos poll which suggests Mitt Romney's tough talk on the Asian powers could have dented his image.

The US elections may be a toss-up at home but the survey carried out by Ipsos Hong Kong found a whopping 86 percent of Japanese back the Democrat incumbent compared to only 12.3 percent for Republican party candidate Romney.

Chinese respondents were less emphatic, but still a hefty 63 percent said they wanted Obama to serve out another four years, according to the online poll conducted in September and October.

The poll, which surveyed around 1,000 people in each country, has a margin of error of five percent.

Analysts said Obama's record on the economy and security had buttressed his standing in the East, while Romney's outspoken comments on Beijing's alleged currency manipulation and Japan's economic decline may have lost him some friends.

"Asia wants Obama to win the election overall, but China has more supporters of Romney than Japan," Ipsos Hong Kong associate director Andrew Lam said.

"It is possible that Romney's strong stand on currency and trade, as well as his plan to have a stronger military capability in the Pacific, has led the Chinese to believe it is better to stay with the status quo.

"For Japan, Romney's low popularity is possibly linked to his earlier public comment about Japan being an economy in decline. Japanese have strong national pride, and could react negatively toward this kind of public remark."

The Chinese are around three times more likely to approve of Romney despite his more hawkish stance on trade and military spending, according to the AFP-Ipsos survey which will be publicly released on Monday.

Romney's popularity was highest among older Chinese and in less developed "Tier Two" cities, inland population centres which have not industrialised at the pace of the more economically liberal special economic zones such as Shanghai.

International relations expert Chen Qi, of China's Tsinghua University, said some Chinese held the Republican party in high regard based on its history of engagement with Beijing going back to president Richard Nixon's 1972 visit.

But he said many other Chinese did not look favourably on Romney's background as a wealthy capitalist.

"Many people feel that Obama looks after the bottom level of society, with his policies such as medical reform, and a lot of Chinese people support that... There is some suspicion of rich businessmen entering politics," Chen said.

Romney has repeatedly vowed to brand Beijing a "currency manipulator" on his first day in office, as a way to address China's huge trade surplus with the United States.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iyyzKIwZb6xDLdffl1wt45Vf1WIw?docId=CNG.eca877e57821ffd22d112c7cdd1b2e03.c1
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2012, 05:29:21 AM by kingthlayer »

Oustanding news! Obama is surging in East Asia!

Obama/Biden will march to victory with China's 625 electoral votes! Unstoppable O'mentum!!
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »

All the Asian-Americans I know love Obama, does anyone know any Asian-Americans that support Romney, I don't, but granted my sample size in Ohio isn't that large.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »

All the Asian-Americans I know love Obama, does anyone know any Asian-Americans that support Romney, I don't, but granted my sample size in Ohio isn't that large.

It depends, some Asian Americans trend conservative because of their affiliation with Christian/religious groups that are hold certain social views, as is the case in southern New Jersey, western Pennsylvania and NOVA. Many Asians that came to the USA in the 80s and 90s started out as entrepreneurs here, and business owners also tend to trend Republican.

Despite that, I believe Asian American millennials, like my generation at large, lean Democratic at the presidential level, for now, due to coming of age during the tumultuous Bush administration. I would say this was true for 2004, especially so during 2008, and will be the case for 2012 as well. Obama was such an inspiring figure in 2008 that I believe that young people aren't going to turn on him right away. If he becomes deeply unpopular during a second term, I think young Asian Americans will lean back towards Republicans (assuming they have moderated by the mid 2010s), but so will young voters as a whole. By 2016 the youngest voters will have been born in 1998, and likely won't remember the worst excesses of the Bush years.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

Remember that Asians as a whole are fairly culturally and fiscally conservative, but dislike American conservatism. Vietnamese are fairly Republican.

However, I'm surprised about China. Romney's created a lot of jobs there, so they should like him.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »

I sure do.  A number of Chinese and Koreans I know in the states, some of whom are American citizens, support Romney.  Their reasons range from economic to social concerns.  But the conservatism of many Asian immigrants is notable.  The same is true in Canada with regard to a number of immigrant groups; in fact, it's fairly uncontroversial, at least in political discussions I have in Canada, that the conservative Harper government owes its rule more or less to the immigrant vote.  I can, on the flip-side, see why Hong Kong residents, and especially residents of Japan, would prefer Obama to Romney.  The context of being an immigrant makes a lot of difference in many cases.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »

Oustanding news! Obama is surging in East Asia!

Obama/Biden will march to victory with China's 625 electoral votes! Unstoppable O'mentum!!

China has more like 2340 electoral votes ... Wink
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »

The Asian Republicans I know fall into three categories: descendants of KMT supporters in China (the family of one of my best friends growing up, whose parents constantly talked about evil Red China and had maps of Taiwan all over the house, was one of these), Korean evangelicals, and Vietnamese, who are one of the most right-wing ethnic groups in the US.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »

The Chinese have chosen their next puppet.......
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »

All the Asian Americans I know in Florida strongly back Obama. The parents of my Vietnamese friends tend to back Republicans but Asian Indians and Chinese back Obama heavily parents and kids.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies